Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > System Restore problem XP

System Restore problem XP

Colby Lamb

After using Seagate's disc wizard to replace a hard drive on a computer
running XP, I am unable to run system restore. I get a message which states
"system restore is unable to protect your computer, etc."

If I go into system properties and click on the System Restore tab, I get
the following:
an exception occurred while trying to run "Shell32.dll,control_Run DLL"
c:\windows\system32\sysdm.cpl",system"

If I reboot after reconnecting the original hard drive as a slave, with it's
original files still intact, system restore works normally, shows all the
previous restore points and through control panel\system\system restore, I
see that both drives are being monitored.

This makes me think that there must be something in the registry that is
insisting that the original drive be present for system restore to function.

°Mike°

You can't simply replace a hard drive, without issues,
on an XP system.

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 08:43:37 -0800, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Colby Lamb scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Colby Lamb

1. Booted up with both drives (new drive as master)

2. Turned off system restore, which deleted all previous restore points.

3. Rebooted with new drive only, and turned system restore back on.

It was interesting to see, during step 2, that XP still recognizes the old
drive as the system drive. I'd like to know how to convince XP that the new
drive is the system drive.

Thanks!