Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Floppy drive problem

Floppy drive problem

Jaap

This problem is several months old, and I haven't found a solution for
it yet in any web forum.

I have a Compaq Presario with a floppy drive which worked just fine.

I thought I'd try to install a second floppy drive. When I did,
neither of them worked. So I removed drive #2 again.

Since then floppy drive #1 doesn't work anymore. I removed the driver,
had windows detect it and install the driver again. No change.

In Windows Explorer I can see the A: drive. If I click on it, it takes
a long time for explorer te say: Insert a disk. I can try any good
floppy I want, windows still thinks there is no disk inside. Same goes
for Scandisk. And for Save Mode. If you insert a floppy, the drive
feels dead, you don't see/hear it work. Though it worked just fine
before I tried the second drive.

I use Windows ME.

I'd greatly appreciate any clues on this.

Jaap

philo

"Jaap" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
> This problem is several months old, and I haven't found a solution for
> it yet in any web forum.
>
> I have a Compaq Presario with a floppy drive which worked just fine.
>
> I thought I'd try to install a second floppy drive. When I did,
> neither of them worked. So I removed drive #2 again.
>
> Since then floppy drive #1 doesn't work anymore. I removed the driver,
> had windows detect it and install the driver again. No change.
>
> In Windows Explorer I can see the A: drive. If I click on it, it takes
> a long time for explorer te say: Insert a disk. I can try any good
> floppy I want, windows still thinks there is no disk inside. Same goes
> for Scandisk. And for Save Mode. If you insert a floppy, the drive
> feels dead, you don't see/hear it work. Though it worked just fine
> before I tried the second drive.
>
> I use Windows ME.
>
> I'd greatly appreciate any clues on this.
>
> Jaap

first off , make sure it's set correctly in the bios...
(drive A: 1.44 megs)
if that's ok ...be sure the data and power cables are connected...
you might have dislodged something...

also...floppy A: should be on the far end of the ribbon cable

°Mike°

No once did you mention if you had checked the
cable/s and/or connection/s. Do that.

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 14:41:33 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>
Jaap scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Jaap

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 09:14:18 -0600, "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Jaap" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
>> This problem is several months old, and I haven't found a solution for
>> it yet in any web forum.
>>
>> I have a Compaq Presario with a floppy drive which worked just fine.
>>
>> I thought I'd try to install a second floppy drive. When I did,
>> neither of them worked. So I removed drive #2 again.
>>
>> Since then floppy drive #1 doesn't work anymore. I removed the driver,
>> had windows detect it and install the driver again. No change.
>>
>> In Windows Explorer I can see the A: drive. If I click on it, it takes
>> a long time for explorer te say: Insert a disk. I can try any good
>> floppy I want, windows still thinks there is no disk inside. Same goes
>> for Scandisk. And for Save Mode. If you insert a floppy, the drive
>> feels dead, you don't see/hear it work. Though it worked just fine
>> before I tried the second drive.
>>
>> I use Windows ME.
>>
>> I'd greatly appreciate any clues on this.
>>
>> Jaap
>>

>first off , make sure it's set correctly in the bios...
>(drive A: 1.44 megs)
>if that's ok ...be sure the data and power cables are connected...
>you might have dislodged something...
>
>also...floppy A: should be on the far end of the ribbon cable

Great, that solved it ! The drive was on the other plug, not on the
far end. I never knew their function was different.

Thanks a lot,

Jaap

philo

> Great, that solved it ! The drive was on the other plug, not on the
> far end. I never knew their function was different.
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Jaap

glad you got it...
there is a twist in the cable that makes the difference