Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Internet activity - Virus?

Internet activity - Virus?

Duncan

If someone could answer this for me, I'd be greatful.
I'm trying to fix a problem on a friends computer where the internet
activity is constant. This makes getting access to mail and any other site
on the internet very slow and sometimes impossible. Just to rule out the
possibility that the problem could be with the modem, I switched it with
another one... same problem ! I did find the Welchia and MyDoom viruses,
but no other ones. They have been cleared off, but I'm still having
problems. I've also scanned the system from a known good computer using
Norton (updated of course) which didn't turn up anything else.
Other viruses that I've searched for include : Anig, Klez, sobig, beagle,
Netsky, Gaobot, Nimda
I did get a 'svchost.exe has generated errors' error at one point while
downloading emails, but that only happened once and hasn't happen again.

Thanks !
James

Toolman Tim

"Duncan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If someone could answer this for me, I'd be greatful.
> I'm trying to fix a problem on a friends computer where the internet
> activity is constant. This makes getting access to mail and any other

site
> on the internet very slow and sometimes impossible. Just to rule out the
> possibility that the problem could be with the modem, I switched it with
> another one... same problem ! I did find the Welchia and MyDoom viruses,
> but no other ones. They have been cleared off, but I'm still having
> problems. I've also scanned the system from a known good computer using
> Norton (updated of course) which didn't turn up anything else.
> Other viruses that I've searched for include : Anig, Klez, sobig, beagle,
> Netsky, Gaobot, Nimda
> I did get a 'svchost.exe has generated errors' error at one point while
> downloading emails, but that only happened once and hasn't happen again.
>
> Thanks !
> James

Look for spyware, trojans, etc. Some of these like to use your computer to
spread their own nastiness. Or download porn, etc., while no one is looking.

Tim

Nathan

Toolman Tim wrote:

> Look for spyware, trojans, etc. Some of these like to use your computer to
> spread their own nastiness. Or download porn, etc., while no one is looking.

> Tim

Is it just me or is it totally stupid that Norton's doesn't find Spyware
Pop-op viruses, or any number of other "Safe" Virus activity.

Duncan

I ran adaware, and it didn't find anything unfortunately...
Thanks for the reply though.

James

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Duncan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If someone could answer this for me, I'd be greatful.
> > I'm trying to fix a problem on a friends computer where the internet
> > activity is constant. This makes getting access to mail and any other

> site
> > on the internet very slow and sometimes impossible. Just to rule out

the
> > possibility that the problem could be with the modem, I switched it with
> > another one... same problem ! I did find the Welchia and MyDoom

viruses,
> > but no other ones. They have been cleared off, but I'm still having
> > problems. I've also scanned the system from a known good computer using
> > Norton (updated of course) which didn't turn up anything else.
> > Other viruses that I've searched for include : Anig, Klez, sobig,

beagle,
> > Netsky, Gaobot, Nimda
> > I did get a 'svchost.exe has generated errors' error at one point while
> > downloading emails, but that only happened once and hasn't happen again.
> >
> > Thanks !
> > James
> >

> Look for spyware, trojans, etc. Some of these like to use your computer to
> spread their own nastiness. Or download porn, etc., while no one is

looking.

> Tim

Spider

Duncan wrote:

> I ran adaware, and it didn't find anything unfortunately...
> Thanks for the reply though.
>
> James
>
>>>I'm trying to fix a problem on a friends computer where the internet
>>>activity is constant. This makes getting access to mail and any other

>>site

Try downloading http://www.coolbeans.ws/sysinfo.shtml and see if you can
pick up any hints by watching the network activity and what processes
show up in the CPU activity. Use Cool Beans that you downloaded to
monitor the network activity and run the regular task manager alongside
it viewing the Process tab. To examine the CPU usage, click that column
on the Processes tab. Click it twice if necessary to sort the highest
number to the top of the list. As you view the network activity in Cool
Beans, what process is using the cpu? That will be your hint. Don't
recognize the process name? Google it.

--

Spider
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1/spiderweb1.htm