Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: System.Net.Sockets.Tcplistener

Re: System.Net.Sockets.Tcplistener

jeff

Please see inline comments:

"MB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am new to sockets programming, but I need something that seems to be very
> simple.
>
> I need to monitor a port on a server running a background application in
> order to integrate to another application. I know the port number and the
> vendor will provide me the binary sequence of the data stream going to that
> port. This is all they will provide.
>
> On this stream (among other info) I will receive an active or inactive bit
> that represents the state of the application icon on the system tray. When
> active it turns green, when inactive it turns red.

It seems you need a piece of socket listener code.

> Is it possible to snoop this port using the namespace
> System.Net.Sockets.Tcplistener or another namespace ?

Yes, you can do it by System.Net.Sockets.Tcplistener if it is in tcp protocol or System.Net.Sockets.UdpClient if in udp protocol.

> Is it possible to read the data stream without affecting the backgound
> application, which is also reading the stream.

What's this mean? Where the stream come from? Is the background also a socket listener?