Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > duplicate name on network

duplicate name on network

Dave

I have a Linux box, Samba installed and working. Can "see" everything
that's shared on my XPHome PC. However, when trying to connect to Linux box
from XPHome PC, I receive the error message:

"You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network. Go
to System in Control Panel to change the computer name and try again."

Both PCs use appear to match localhost.localdomain with 127.0.0.1. Is this
the problem? If so, how do I change this DNS on the Windows machine so that
there is not a duplication?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Linux box, Samba installed and working. Can "see" everything
> that's shared on my XPHome PC. However, when trying to connect to Linux

box
> from XPHome PC, I receive the error message:
>
> "You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network.

Go
> to System in Control Panel to change the computer name and try again."
>
> Both PCs use appear to match localhost.localdomain with 127.0.0.1. Is

this
> the problem? If so, how do I change this DNS on the Windows machine so

that
> there is not a duplication?

They should - that's the DEFINITION of "LocalHost".

What machine name is the Linux box using under SAMBA, and what
machine name is the WinXP box using?

THOSE are the critical questions.

RwP