Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PC freezes during file copy (Windows 2000)

PC freezes during file copy (Windows 2000)

-

My PC freezes and requires a hard reset every time I copy
a large file (500mb or greater), or a group of large files.

I have tried different ATA settings (33 thru 100), changed
ide cables, changed hard drives, updated mb bios, updated
Windows 2000 and all drivers but nothing seems to work.

PC config:

MB-Asus A7V266-E
HD-Westernal Digital 120gb Special Edition (NTSF)
OS-Windows 2000 with all updates
Mem-Crucial PC2100 DDR (512mb x 3)
PS: 430 watt
Video: VisionTek Ti-4600
IE set to Windows Classic View (disables avi/mpg preview mode)
Power scheme: always on
Screen saver: none

Any suggestions? Whereas, this is driving me crazy !!!!!!

Thanks

Big Fred

SgtMinor

PCs can freeze due to software problems or hardware malfunctions. Since
you're running an AMD platform, I guessing hardware, and specifically
heat coming off the CPU. Is your system properly vented? Are all case
openings free from dust or other blockages? Is the CPU fan properly
mated, and working? Have you tried running the machine with the cover
off the box?

- wrote:

> My PC freezes and requires a hard reset every time I copy
> a large file (500mb or greater), or a group of large files.
>
> I have tried different ATA settings (33 thru 100), changed
> ide cables, changed hard drives, updated mb bios, updated
> Windows 2000 and all drivers but nothing seems to work.
>
> PC config:
>
> MB-Asus A7V266-E
> HD-Westernal Digital 120gb Special Edition (NTSF)
> OS-Windows 2000 with all updates
> Mem-Crucial PC2100 DDR (512mb x 3)
> PS: 430 watt
> Video: VisionTek Ti-4600
> IE set to Windows Classic View (disables avi/mpg preview mode)
> Power scheme: always on
> Screen saver: none
>
> Any suggestions? Whereas, this is driving me crazy !!!!!!
>
> Thanks
>
> Big Fred

> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
> ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

-

I forgot to mention that the computer freezes when
a file is copied from hd to hd; whereas, copying a
file from one partition to another on the same hd
works okay.

Also, I don't think heat is the problem because I
have the case cover off and an external fan blowing
on the motherboard and cpu.

Big Fred

SgtMinor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):