Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > problems after reformatting c drive...

problems after reformatting c drive...

hugh jass

I reformatted the c drive and then ran a scandisk with everything ok.
Now, I am trying to boot from a win89 bootdisk so that I can attempt an
install of win98.
When I to this, though, I get the message
"Invalid system disk
Replace the disk and then press any key"
No luck with this floppy, so I decided to take it out and remove a: from the
Bios boot sequence.
Now, I am still getting the same error message, though there is nothing in
the floppy or CDROM drive and I have defined the boot sequence as "C only."
Please help! What is going on?
Is there something wrong with the hard drive?
Would it help to run SpinRite?
thnx, hj
--
______________________

Thorkild Dalsgaard

"hugh jass" wrote
> I reformatted the c drive and then ran a scandisk with everything ok.
> Now, I am trying to boot from a win89 bootdisk so that I can attempt an
> install of win98.
> When I to this, though, I get the message
> "Invalid system disk
> Replace the disk and then press any key"
> No luck with this floppy, so I decided to take it out and remove a: from the
> Bios boot sequence.

Before you install Windows 98 on an empty hard disk, you must first create a
primary partition and then format a file system on that partition. Each
allocated space on the hard disk (primary partition or logical drive) is
assigned a drive letter. Windows 98 supports the FAT16 and FAT32 file systems.
When you run the Fdisk tool on a hard disk that is larger than 512 MB, you are
prompted to choose a file system.

etc.
Continue here for more detailed step by step info on howto install win98 on a
formatted harddisk:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

(The link above is only one and must be on one line only)

Regards
Thorkild Dalsgaard

rickAnthony

What did you use to format the drive? The machine is not finding any
operating system, which is why that message. Sounds like your BIOS has the
boot-sequence set for the C-drive before the floppy (or CD). Go into your
BIOS and make sure the drive you are trying to boot from preceeds the
C-drive, so it can find what it needs to do the job.

"hugh jass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Vqq1c.4071$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I reformatted the c drive and then ran a scandisk with everything ok.
> Now, I am trying to boot from a win89 bootdisk so that I can attempt an
> install of win98.
> When I to this, though, I get the message
> "Invalid system disk
> Replace the disk and then press any key"
> No luck with this floppy, so I decided to take it out and remove a: from

the
> Bios boot sequence.
> Now, I am still getting the same error message, though there is nothing in
> the floppy or CDROM drive and I have defined the boot sequence as "C

only."
> Please help! What is going on?
> Is there something wrong with the hard drive?
> Would it help to run SpinRite?
> thnx, hj
> --
> ______________________
> please remove the obvious from my email...

hugh jass

I have one partition (FAT32) on the 3Gb HD and it is set as the active one.
hj

--
______________________
"Thorkild Dalsgaard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c25dgc$1pm4tr$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
: "hugh jass" wrote
:
[...]

I restarted in DOS and then typed in 'format c:'
The Bios boot sequence was set to a: first, and when that didn't work, I set
it to c: only.
What have I missed?
thnx, hj

--
______________________
"rickAnthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iyr1c.154784$(E-Mail Removed). com...
[...]
: > --
: > ______________________
: > please remove the obvious from my email...
: >
: >
: >
:
:

Dan Shea

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 14:34:12 -0500, "hugh jass"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I reformatted the c drive and then ran a scandisk with everything ok.

Since the C: drive has been formatted, you won't be able to boot from
it. It contains no operating system. You need to boot either from a
bootable floppy or a bootable CD.

>Now, I am trying to boot from a win89 bootdisk

I'm presuming you mean Win98.

>so that I can attempt an
>install of win98.
>When I to this, though, I get the message
>"Invalid system disk
>Replace the disk and then press any key"

The floppy you have is not a bootable floppy. Get a different one, or
boot from a bootable CD.

>No luck with this floppy, so I decided to take it out and remove a: from the
>Bios boot sequence.

Well, that's not going to do much, except skip the A: drive search.
You still won't be able to boot from your hard disk (seeing as how you
just formatted it), and you won't be able to boot form the CD unless
you have a bootable CD.

>Now, I am still getting the same error message, though there is nothing in
>the floppy or CDROM drive and I have defined the boot sequence as "C only."
>Please help! What is going on?

You have instructed the computer that the only device it is to boot
from is the C drive. However, the C drive is not bootable; because
you just formatted it, it contains no operating system.

>Is there something wrong with the hard drive?
>Would it help to run SpinRite?
>thnx, hj

Your hard drive is fine. You need a new Windows 98 bootdisk. You
also need to instruct your BIOS to include the A drive in the boot
sequence again.

Cheers,
dan

olfart

"Dan Shea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 14:34:12 -0500, "hugh jass"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I reformatted the c drive and then ran a scandisk with everything ok.

> Since the C: drive has been formatted, you won't be able to boot from
> it. It contains no operating system. You need to boot either from a
> bootable floppy or a bootable CD.
>
> >Now, I am trying to boot from a win89 bootdisk

> I'm presuming you mean Win98.
>
> >so that I can attempt an
> >install of win98.
> >When I to this, though, I get the message
> >"Invalid system disk
> >Replace the disk and then press any key"

> The floppy you have is not a bootable floppy. Get a different one, or
> boot from a bootable CD.
>
> >No luck with this floppy, so I decided to take it out and remove a: from

the
> >Bios boot sequence.

> Well, that's not going to do much, except skip the A: drive search.
> You still won't be able to boot from your hard disk (seeing as how you
> just formatted it), and you won't be able to boot form the CD unless
> you have a bootable CD.
>
> >Now, I am still getting the same error message, though there is nothing

in
> >the floppy or CDROM drive and I have defined the boot sequence as "C

only."
> >Please help! What is going on?

> You have instructed the computer that the only device it is to boot
> from is the C drive. However, the C drive is not bootable; because
> you just formatted it, it contains no operating system.
>
> >Is there something wrong with the hard drive?
> >Would it help to run SpinRite?
> >thnx, hj

> Your hard drive is fine. You need a new Windows 98 bootdisk. You
> also need to instruct your BIOS to include the A drive in the boot
> sequence again.
>
> Cheers,
> dan

Try www.bootdisk.com