Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WIN 98 Install problems

WIN 98 Install problems

hugh jass

Hi,
I'm trying to revive a machine for a relative...
When reinstalling win98, I am almost finished, but on system settings setup
/ hardware setup, the machine is unsuccessfully searching for dll, vxd and
sys files, and can't seem to find them on the CD.
I have two copies of the win98SE CD and have successfully installed from
both of them before.

To start from a clean slate, I have already reformatted the C drive and am
attempting a win98 install now.
Any idea what is wrong?
Thanks in advance,
hj

--
______________________

hugh jass

Just went through the motions and restarted the machine despite many files
not being located...
Now I get the following message:
"Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows
application.
The windows registry or System.INI file refers to this file, but hte device
file no longer exists.
If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated
application using its uninstall or setup program.
If you still want to use the application associated with the device file,
try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
vnetsetup.vxd
Press a key to continue_"

I get the same for several files (vredir.vxd, dfs.vxd, vnetbios.vxd)
and then a windows dialogue opens with the following:

"Unable to load the dynamic link library:
msnp.dll
Some or all of the following feature is not available:
Microsoft Network"

Now it asks me to insert the win98 CD again and starts searching for many
many files...
What the *((^($#%%??!

--
______________________
news:7vk1c.3778$(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: To start from a clean slate, I have already reformatted the C drive and am
: attempting a win98 install now.
: Any idea what is wrong?
: Thanks in advance,
: hj
:
: --
: ______________________
: please remove the obvious from my email...
:
:

Root Hung

hugh jass wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to revive a machine for a relative...
> When reinstalling win98, I am almost finished, but on system settings setup
> / hardware setup, the machine is unsuccessfully searching for dll, vxd and
> sys files, and can't seem to find them on the CD.
> I have two copies of the win98SE CD and have successfully installed from
> both of them before.
>
> To start from a clean slate, I have already reformatted the C drive and am
> attempting a win98 install now.
> Any idea what is wrong?
> Thanks in advance,
> hj

Open the computer and take note of what is the motherboard brand/model
no, vga card mode, internal modem model, network card model, etc.

On your other win98se, make a boot disk (start up diskette).

Boot from the boot disk, format the harddisk, make a win98 subdirectory
and copy all the files from d:\win98 to c:\win98 (where d is the cdrom
drive). CD to c:\win98 and run setup.exe

The win98 will start to setup...

Windows will be set up with basic vga driver on 640x480 screen, etc.
(Those hardware with no drivers will all be displayed with ! marks.
Never mind them.)

Meanwhile on your other win98 computer, go to internet and search the
drivers for all those adapter cards you took note of earlier. Burn them
to cdr disk to use.

That is how I do my installations.

HTH

Root Hung

Reformat the harddisk and do a clean install.

> Just went through the motions and restarted the machine despite many files
> not being located...
> Now I get the following message:
> "Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows
> application.
> The windows registry or System.INI file refers to this file, but hte device
> file no longer exists.
> If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated
> application using its uninstall or setup program.
> If you still want to use the application associated with the device file,
> try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
> vnetsetup.vxd
> Press a key to continue_"
>
> I get the same for several files (vredir.vxd, dfs.vxd, vnetbios.vxd)
> and then a windows dialogue opens with the following:
>
> "Unable to load the dynamic link library:
> msnp.dll
> Some or all of the following feature is not available:
> Microsoft Network"
>
> Now it asks me to insert the win98 CD again and starts searching for many
> many files...
> What the *((^($#%%??!

Asterix63

Run a trouble shooter software on the PC. Special the HDD, It sounds like
something is not working to swell. Also try to install with another CD-ROM,
it might not read correct.
And most of all do a FDISK first, delete all partitions and create new ones.

Hope this helps you with your problem.

Anton

"hugh jass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7vk1c.3778$(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi,
I'm trying to revive a machine for a relative...
When reinstalling win98, I am almost finished, but on system settings setup
/ hardware setup, the machine is unsuccessfully searching for dll, vxd and
sys files, and can't seem to find them on the CD.
I have two copies of the win98SE CD and have successfully installed from
both of them before.

To start from a clean slate, I have already reformatted the C drive and am
attempting a win98 install now.
Any idea what is wrong?
Thanks in advance,
hj

--
______________________

Trent C

> I'm trying to revive a machine for a relative...
> When reinstalling win98, I am almost finished, but on system settings

setup
> / hardware setup, the machine is unsuccessfully searching for dll, vxd and
> sys files, and can't seem to find them on the CD.
> I have two copies of the win98SE CD and have successfully installed from
> both of them before.
>
> To start from a clean slate, I have already reformatted the C drive and am
> attempting a win98 install now.
> Any idea what is wrong?
> Thanks in advance,

It sounds as though you're reinstalling Windows 98 over an existing
installation, which can often be problematic. If you have a Windows 98 boot
floppy, start from that and reformat the hard drive, then copy the Win98
folder from the Windows CD to the hard drive, and run setup from there.

This has the advantage of being much faster to install and you're not
reliant on having the CD to hand all the time.

Shel-hed

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 07:55:09 -0500, "hugh jass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>Just went through the motions and restarted the machine despite many files
>not being located...
>Now I get the following message:
>"Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows
>application.
>The windows registry or System.INI file refers to this file, but hte device
>file no longer exists.
>If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated
>application using its uninstall or setup program.
>If you still want to use the application associated with the device file,
>try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
>vnetsetup.vxd
>Press a key to continue_"
>
>I get the same for several files (vredir.vxd, dfs.vxd, vnetbios.vxd)
>and then a windows dialogue opens with the following:
>
>"Unable to load the dynamic link library:
>msnp.dll
>The system cannot find the file specified.
>Some or all of the following feature is not available:
>Microsoft Network"
>
>Now it asks me to insert the win98 CD again and starts searching for many
>many files...
>What the *((^($#%%??!

Install Client for Microsoft Networking, or keep beating it until it finds the files.
Has the nic card card's drivers been properly installed?

hugh jass

Thanks all...
I am going to try the boot floppy and C: drive install method.
Just a note - I did reformat C: before doing this win98 install. Do I need
to do more than that to completely remove the previous win98 install?
Right now, I will do an FDISK to remove partitions and then do another
reformat. Is there any more that I should do before retrying the install?
Thanks,
hj
--
______________________
"Trent C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xnm1c.17084$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
: > I'm trying to revive a machine for a relative...
: > When reinstalling win98, I am almost finished, but on system settings
: setup
: > / hardware setup, the machine is unsuccessfully searching for dll, vxd
and
: > sys files, and can't seem to find them on the CD.
: > I have two copies of the win98SE CD and have successfully installed from
: > both of them before.
: >
: > To start from a clean slate, I have already reformatted the C drive and
am
: > attempting a win98 install now.
: > Any idea what is wrong?
: > Thanks in advance,
:
: It sounds as though you're reinstalling Windows 98 over an existing
: installation, which can often be problematic. If you have a Windows 98
boot
: floppy, start from that and reformat the hard drive, then copy the Win98
: folder from the Windows CD to the hard drive, and run setup from there.
:
: This has the advantage of being much faster to install and you're not
: reliant on having the CD to hand all the time.
:
:

hugh jass

No network card on this machine...
They are using a USB modem to connect to highspeed DSL.
I forget if I installed MS networking when doing the OS install - maybe I
should leave this out on the next install?
thanks,
hj

--
______________________
"Shel-hed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

Dan Shea

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 12:53:01 -0500, "hugh jass"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks all...
>I am going to try the boot floppy and C: drive install method.
>Just a note - I did reformat C: before doing this win98 install. Do I need
>to do more than that to completely remove the previous win98 install?
>Right now, I will do an FDISK to remove partitions and then do another
>reformat. Is there any more that I should do before retrying the install?

I would suggest you unplug the DSL modem before doing the install.
When completely finished and Windows is back up and running well,
re-install the USB modem per the manufacturer's instructions.

Cheers,
dan