Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: distributing programs on server

Re: distributing programs on server

Merlin

Doesn't closing files this way crash your program on users machines?

I can think of only two ways to accomplish your task:-
1) Auto install the application locally at user login.

2) Place a timer in the application that checks say every 5-10 minutes for
the existence of a file (e.g CLOSE.APP) you create or your program creates,
and when found will notify each current user the program will shutdown and
then get the program to automatically gracefully close, and maybe also auto
run another small program that keeps the user informed that the application
is being updated, this too having a timer that will restart the main
application when the existence of the file has been deleted.

So users don't attempt to run the app again before you have updated, you
could always have a small app that runs the main app and before starting the
main app checks for the existence of your file.

Merlin
"Lucas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:05f201c34619$b806b580$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the best way to distribute a program on a server.
> We have over 400 employee's so installing the software on
> everyone's machine isn't very feasible, especially since
> we upgrade the program about once or twice a month.
>
> Right now when we just copy the executable to the server,
> but to update an application on the server we have to kick
> everybody out of the program through the Administrative
> Tools->Computer Management->Shared Folders->Open Files,
> and we have to close all of the open files, one at a time,
> before updating the program.
>
> Is there a simpler way to do this? Or can a tool be
> created to connect to the server and close all of the open
> files for a certain program, and if so what library do I
> need to look at to implement this?
>
> Thanks,
> Lucas

Distributing programs depending on third party modules. Tina I Python 11 05-17-2007 05:24 AM
Distributing programs Jason Python 6 10-04-2005 05:33 PM
Distributing Python programs NEWS Python 5 01-29-2004 09:28 AM
Re: distributing programs on server Brendan Duffy ASP .Net 0 07-25-2003 01:05 AM
Re: distributing programs on server Merlin ASP .Net 0 07-10-2003 11:01 PM

Advertisments