Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Viruses

Viruses

John Davis

Can any one please help. I have just ran a virus scan using AVG, and 10
viruses were picked up. 7 were healed, but 3 remain, saying they cant be
healed. They are all "I Worms" they are "Bagle.e" "Dumaru.y" and "Dumaru.z".
How can these be removed? I am running XP Pro. Thanks.

eric the seal

"John Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UpL0c.16013$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can any one please help. I have just ran a virus scan using AVG, and 10
> viruses were picked up. 7 were healed, but 3 remain, saying they cant be
> healed. They are all "I Worms" they are "Bagle.e" "Dumaru.y" and

"Dumaru.z".
> How can these be removed? I am running XP Pro. Thanks.

Delete the files containing them - you probably have no use for these files
anyhow. Amputation rather than healing!

°Mike°

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:52:03 -0000, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
eric the seal scrawled:

>"John Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:UpL0c.16013$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Can any one please help. I have just ran a virus scan using AVG, and 10
>> viruses were picked up. 7 were healed, but 3 remain, saying they cant be
>> healed. They are all "I Worms" they are "Bagle.e" "Dumaru.y" and

>"Dumaru.z".
>> How can these be removed? I am running XP Pro. Thanks.
>>

>Delete the files containing them - you probably have no use for these files
>anyhow. Amputation rather than healing!

Are you really this dumb? You're beginning to sound like Bullis.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Unk

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:38:12 -0000, "John Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Can any one please help. I have just ran a virus scan using AVG, and 10
>viruses were picked up. 7 were healed, but 3 remain, saying they cant be
>healed. They are all "I Worms" they are "Bagle.e" "Dumaru.y" and "Dumaru.z".
>How can these be removed? I am running XP Pro. Thanks.

See if AVG will scan in the safe mode. (Press F8 during startup)

Another possibility is to borrow a second computer with anti-virus software
on it, and put your HDD in it as a slave, and run the anti-virus software to
clean it up.

Anti-virus resources:
This is a link to a small FREE program by McAfee Anti-virus named Stinger.
It will scan your system for 36 known viruses and trojans (including the new
W32/MyDoom worm) and repair them. You don't need McAfee anti-virus installed
on your computer... this is a stand alone program.
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Free online virus scanners:

http://housecall.antivirus.com/
http://security.norton.com/default.a...d=us&venid=sym
http://security2.norton.com/us/home.asp
http://www.freedom.net/viruscenter/o...iruscheck.html
http://www.dials.ru/english/www_av/
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

Anti-trojan software
http://www.moosoft.com/thecleaner/
http://www.diamondcs.com.au

Anti-virus software
http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm
http://www.f-prot.com/download/
http://www.tudogs.com/virus.php

Information and links to Anti-Virus vendors, On-line Scanning sites,
Removal Tools, latest threats, Freeware Page, newsletters, etc.

http://virusall.com/sitemap.html

On-Line Scanning page links:
http://virusall.com/downscan.html

eric the seal

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:52:03 -0000, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> eric the seal scrawled:
>

> >"John Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:UpL0c.16013$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Can any one please help. I have just ran a virus scan using AVG, and 10
> >> viruses were picked up. 7 were healed, but 3 remain, saying they cant

be
> >> healed. They are all "I Worms" they are "Bagle.e" "Dumaru.y" and

> >"Dumaru.z".
> >> How can these be removed? I am running XP Pro. Thanks.
> >>

> >Delete the files containing them - you probably have no use for these

files
> >anyhow. Amputation rather than healing!

> Are you really this dumb? You're beginning to sound like Bullis.

Not knowing Bullis, I can't say. But, if you would care to elucidate on why
my proposed solution was dumb, I would gladly accept the criticism and learn
from it.

°Mike°

AVG is crap. See further below for recommendations.

Bagle.E
http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virus.aspx?ID=38437
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...e=WORM_BAGLE.E

Dumaru.Y
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...=WORM_DUMARU.Y
http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/dumaru_y.shtml

Dumaru.Z
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...=WORM_DUMARU.Y
http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/dumaru_z.shtml

Online Antivirus scanners:
================
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ [See ****]
http://www.drweb-online.com/en/online_check.asp

**** Caveat:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archiv...3-07/0240.html

Anti-virus programs:
--------------------
KAV (Kaspersky)
http://www.kaspersky.com/

eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

Sophos
http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:38:12 -0000, in
<UpL0c.16013$(E-Mail Removed)>
John Davis scrawled:

>Can any one please help. I have just ran a virus scan using AVG, and 10
>viruses were picked up. 7 were healed, but 3 remain, saying they cant be
>healed. They are all "I Worms" they are "Bagle.e" "Dumaru.y" and "Dumaru.z".
>How can these be removed? I am running XP Pro. Thanks.

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:33:22 -0000, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
eric the seal scrawled:

>> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:52:03 -0000, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> eric the seal scrawled:
>>

>> >"John Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:UpL0c.16013$(E-Mail Removed)...

>be
>> >"Dumaru.z".
>> >>

>> >Delete the files containing them - you probably have no use for these

>files
>> >anyhow. Amputation rather than healing!

>> Are you really this dumb? You're beginning to sound like Bullis.
>>

>Not knowing Bullis, I can't say. But, if you would care to elucidate on why
>my proposed solution was dumb, I would gladly accept the criticism and learn
>from it.

Read your advice again. "Delete the files containing them - you
probably have no use for these files anyhow."

Now THINK about what you said.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Unknown

Better than that, why don't you figure out how you got the viruses and
eliminate the cause?
"eric the seal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "John Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:UpL0c.16013$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can any one please help. I have just ran a virus scan using AVG, and 10
> > viruses were picked up. 7 were healed, but 3 remain, saying they cant be
> > healed. They are all "I Worms" they are "Bagle.e" "Dumaru.y" and

> "Dumaru.z".
> > How can these be removed? I am running XP Pro. Thanks.
> >

> Delete the files containing them - you probably have no use for these files
> anyhow. Amputation rather than healing!

Brian H¹©

eric the seal said:

>> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:33:22 -0000, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> eric the seal scrawled:
>>

>>> "°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> Not knowing Bullis, I can't say. But, if you would care to elucidate on why
>>> my proposed solution was dumb, I would gladly accept the criticism and learn
>>> from it.

>> Read your advice again. "Delete the files containing them - you
>> probably have no use for these files anyhow."
>>
>> Now THINK about what you said.
>>

> Lets take the case that the machine is not actually infected but has files,
> say unsolicited emails or transfers, containing these viruses. AVG would
> detect them and report them. Deleting these files would remove the problem
> and a further AVG scan would be clear. That has been the most common
> situation I have encountered where the number of infected files has been low
> (in this case 3). Where the machine has actually been infected the count has
> been much, much higher, although this obviously varies with the virus/trojan
> concerned. If the next AVG scan is not clear then other measures will need
> to be taken.
>
> I realise I am only going by experience rather than hard fact, hence I am
> more than prepared to learn from this.

If the machine has detected files containing a virus then it *is* "actually
infected", is it not?

eric the seal

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:33:22 -0000, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> eric the seal scrawled:
>

> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:52:03 -0000, in
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> eric the seal scrawled:

10

cant
> >be

> >files
> >>
> >> Are you really this dumb? You're beginning to sound like Bullis.
> >>

> >Not knowing Bullis, I can't say. But, if you would care to elucidate on

why
> >my proposed solution was dumb, I would gladly accept the criticism and

learn
> >from it.

> Read your advice again. "Delete the files containing them - you
> probably have no use for these files anyhow."
>
> Now THINK about what you said.

Lets take the case that the machine is not actually infected but has files,
say unsolicited emails or transfers, containing these viruses. AVG would
detect them and report them. Deleting these files would remove the problem
and a further AVG scan would be clear. That has been the most common
situation I have encountered where the number of infected files has been low
(in this case 3). Where the machine has actually been infected the count has
been much, much higher, although this obviously varies with the virus/trojan
concerned. If the next AVG scan is not clear then other measures will need
to be taken.

I realise I am only going by experience rather than hard fact, hence I am
more than prepared to learn from this.

Can Viruses infect .AVI files??? Smiley Computer Support 109 05-17-2011 02:00 PM
Will Mozilla stop viruses? P T Firefox 8 10-05-2004 12:55 AM
OT: Kerpal is now authoring viruses ! Paul Lynch MCSE 2 06-04-2004 07:02 PM
Re: spam and viruses Dave Computer Support 5 07-01-2003 10:21 PM
Re: spam and viruses Brian H¹© Computer Support 3 07-01-2003 09:01 PM

Advertisments