Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Good software for doing backups

Good software for doing backups

Greg

We just purchased a DVD RW (sony) and would like to use it to do back-ups in
the office. Can anyone recommend a brand of software that can be programmed
to do back-ups at a specific time. So, for example, we can place the dvd rw
disc in the tray and leave it for a night time back up. And we won't have to
drag and drop the files manually. It will probably need to have some type of
file compression too. These are AutoCAD files and can get pretty big.

We have Roxio 5. I don't think version 6 will do an auto back-up.

why?

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:19:49 -0600, Greg wrote:

>We just purchased a DVD RW (sony) and would like to use it to do back-ups in
>the office. Can anyone recommend a brand of software that can be programmed

Brand - Backup Software.

<snip>
>file compression too. These are AutoCAD files and can get pretty big.

Buy a 2nd DVD RW and use this when 1st disk is full.

<snip>

Would the name/version of your operating system matter?

If not then you can try www.google.com
Searched the web for
unattended automated backup dvd

Me

SgtMinor

Sony DVDs generally have a data backup program on the supplied software.

If you're concerned about the capacity of a DVD disc, consider
installing a hard drive tray with some extra drawers. See example:
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GN210

Greg wrote:

> We just purchased a DVD RW (sony) and would like to use it to do back-ups in
> the office. Can anyone recommend a brand of software that can be programmed
> to do back-ups at a specific time. So, for example, we can place the dvd rw
> disc in the tray and leave it for a night time back up. And we won't have to
> drag and drop the files manually. It will probably need to have some type of
> file compression too. These are AutoCAD files and can get pretty big.
>
> We have Roxio 5. I don't think version 6 will do an auto back-up.

Sultan

Greg wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> We just purchased a DVD RW (sony) and would like to use it to do
> back-ups in the office. Can anyone recommend a brand of software that
> can be programmed to do back-ups at a specific time. So, for example,
> we can place the dvd rw disc in the tray and leave it for a night time
> back up. And we won't have to drag and drop the files manually. It
> will probably need to have some type of file compression too. These
> are AutoCAD files and can get pretty big.
>
> We have Roxio 5. I don't think version 6 will do an auto back-up.

Retrospect Backup Express

rickAnthony

If you are running XP or 2000 pro you can use the backup wizard to schedule
backups when you are not there. Including backups across network or to
specific drive (incl CD or DVD, probably -- I know it works to tape and
fob).

news:Xns949FC365A7BE8sultanofcyberhotmail@209.25.1 57.130...