Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > spyware

spyware

Phil

Spybot is an excellent choice to stop spywares from entering.

Make a search or go to http://www.download.com

Phil
"Ashraf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi, I know there is software to remove spyware, but is there software
> to stop spyware from being planted on your hard drive in the first
> place. Once I run a spyware removal software, it's a mute point is it
> not since most likely the spyware has already collected and sent
> whatever information it was designed to find and send.
> Thanks in advance

Ashraf

Hi, I know there is software to remove spyware, but is there software
to stop spyware from being planted on your hard drive in the first
place. Once I run a spyware removal software, it's a mute point is it
not since most likely the spyware has already collected and sent
whatever information it was designed to find and send.
Thanks in advance

Harrison

On 29 Feb 2004 19:59:36 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ashraf) wrote:

>Hi, I know there is software to remove spyware, but is there software
>to stop spyware from being planted on your hard drive in the first
>place. Once I run a spyware removal software, it's a mute point is it
>not since most likely the spyware has already collected and sent
>whatever information it was designed to find and send.
>Thanks in advance

Spyware Blaster - http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html

Tim-n-Puppies

Spybot - once it's running, DOES have the option of preventing new spyware
from installing. They call it "Immunizing". Maybe the others do to.

www.safer-networking.org

Tim

"Ashraf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi, I know there is software to remove spyware, but is there software
> to stop spyware from being planted on your hard drive in the first
> place. Once I run a spyware removal software, it's a mute point is it
> not since most likely the spyware has already collected and sent
> whatever information it was designed to find and send.
> Thanks in advance

°Mike°

To clarify what others have been saying, SpyBot Search
and Destroy has an 'Immunize' feature, which sets a
'Kill Bit' in the registry for certain ActiveX controls.
SpywareBlaster does the same, but with a FAR larger
database of nasties. Further, SpyBot S&D also has
a Browser Help Object (BHO) that can be 'Installed',
to prevent the download of known malware, adware,
etc. So, you should use both SpyBot S&D and
SpywareBlaster. None of the other generally recommended
spyware removers (Ad-Aware, CWShredder, HijackThis)
actually *prevent* stuff from being "planted" on your
system.

On 29 Feb 2004 19:59:36 -0800, in
<(E-Mail Removed) >
Ashraf scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

sethra

(E-Mail Removed) (Ashraf) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> Hi, I know there is software to remove spyware, but is there software
> to stop spyware from being planted on your hard drive in the first
> place. Once I run a spyware removal software, it's a mute point is it
> not since most likely the spyware has already collected and sent
> whatever information it was designed to find and send.
> Thanks in advance

Turn OFF ActiveX.

Turn OFF javascript.

If that breaks sites, find others with similar content, or put them in
"trusted sites" once you know they're safe (your online banking, for
example).

Run a web proxy like The Proxomitron or Privoxy.

Use a firewall, and learn how to set it up correctly.

Both Spybot Search & Destroy and Adaware will either do real-time system
scanning or set "kill bits" for certain ActiveX controls. Both programs
are freeware, but I believe you might have to purchase the professional
version of Adaware for the real-time scans.

HTH,
--
~sethra

Spirit

sethra wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (Ashraf) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om:
>

>>Hi, I know there is software to remove spyware, but is there software
>>to stop spyware from being planted on your hard drive in the first
>>place. Once I run a spyware removal software, it's a mute point is it
>>not since most likely the spyware has already collected and sent
>>whatever information it was designed to find and send.
>>Thanks in advance

> Turn OFF ActiveX.
>
> Turn OFF javascript.
>
> If that breaks sites, find others with similar content, or put them in
> "trusted sites" once you know they're safe (your online banking, for
> example).
>
> Run a web proxy like The Proxomitron or Privoxy.
>
> Use a firewall, and learn how to set it up correctly.
>
> Both Spybot Search & Destroy and Adaware will either do real-time system
> scanning or set "kill bits" for certain ActiveX controls. Both programs
> are freeware, but I believe you might have to purchase the professional
> version of Adaware for the real-time scans.
>
> HTH,

I know this going to **** off alot of people, but I'm going to say it
anyway.

Macs aren't affected by spyware, nor they affected by the majority of
viruses out there...

However, Macs also only inhabit 3% of the marketshare which is a likely
reason they aren't affected by most viruses. Let me also point out they
are not invinceable.

They also cost more than most pre-made PCs, and way more than white boxes.

Anyway, if you want spyware off your system and want to keep it off
permanently. Buying a Mac is the best way of doing so.

Just a thought.

~S

rickAnthony

Yes, Spybot and AdAware6 both include an immunize function. They can prevent
known spyware from installing, and you can select known spyware that you
want to allow.