Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What if you put to fast a processor in a MB?

What if you put to fast a processor in a MB?

Joe Peach

I'm taking a computer running slow/erratic/error stuff down to a HD format &
installing XP.

It an Asus A7a266, (rev 1.10) I went to Asus site & they mentioned it was
capable of up to a 1.2 processor, the Bios shows a 1.4 installed.
It has a 40 Gig HD
one 512 DDR Ram
An old creative 8x burner
A creative DVD rom that has 12x wrote on the outside
A zip 100
floppy 1.4
ATI PN 109-47200-00 (I can't find a model #, but the year is 199 & it
has a small slot with a small card fitted in on the middle top of the card.
Few other cards....

Anyways, Windows XP will not load anything but an NTSF format, then says it
could not do the format, tell me to pick another type of format....but does
not offer any other.

So I pick a quick format NTSF, it completes it????? starts to install
windows the pops up some files cant be copies like:
W32tm.exe
wiavosd.ddl
wifeman.ddl WIFEMAN??????
& a few others,

Looks like it completes the installation, but then says the install
failed......

I believe the HD is good.....WD 450AA

Any comments??.....are my problems because some idiot put to fast a
processor on the MB???

Thanks,

Joe

SaltPeter

news(E-Mail Removed)...

&
> installing XP.
>
> It an Asus A7a266, (rev 1.10) I went to Asus site & they mentioned it was
> capable of up to a 1.2 processor, the Bios shows a 1.4 installed.
> It has a 40 Gig HD
> one 512 DDR Ram
> An old creative 8x burner
> A creative DVD rom that has 12x wrote on the outside
> A zip 100
> floppy 1.4
> ATI PN 109-47200-00 (I can't find a model #, but the year is 199 & it
> has a small slot with a small card fitted in on the middle top of the

card.
> Few other cards....
>
> Anyways, Windows XP will not load anything but an NTSF format, then says

it
> could not do the format, tell me to pick another type of format....but

does
> not offer any other.
>
> So I pick a quick format NTSF, it completes it????? starts to install
> windows the pops up some files cant be copies like:
> W32tm.exe
> wiavosd.ddl
> wifeman.ddl WIFEMAN??????
> & a few others,
>
> Looks like it completes the installation, but then says the install
> failed......
>
> I believe the HD is good.....WD 450AA
>
> Any comments??.....are my problems because some idiot put to fast a
> processor on the MB???
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

The correct acronym is NTFS. You can't use W2K setup to create a FAT32
partition larger than 32 Gigs. Thats why only NTFS is offered. Nothing stops
you from creating 2 distinct partitions in the case you prefer using FAT32.

As far as setup failing, disable any mbr antivirus in bios setup and
disconnect at least one of the CD-Roms and the zip drive. Basicly, if you
aren't going to take the time to verify hardware compatibility, remove all
non-essential devices. Did you compare your hardware with the OS's
compatibility list in the case you might need drivers? Did you check whether
a bios upgrade is an option?

Joe Peach

Thanks,

Never figured it out........changed almost everything.......XP will NOT
install, however ME has found a home.....I'm sure with enough time & help,
it could be done......but since this is a love of labor.......ME is fine on
this computer from Hades.

Thanks Saltpeter + Charcoal + Sulfur = LOL (Bang!!!)

Sincerely...SP, Thanks for the reply.

Joe

"SaltPeter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6Ky0c.417$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Joe Peach" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm taking a computer running slow/erratic/error stuff down to a HD

format
> &
> > installing XP.
> >
> > It an Asus A7a266, (rev 1.10) I went to Asus site & they mentioned it

was
> > capable of up to a 1.2 processor, the Bios shows a 1.4 installed.
> > It has a 40 Gig HD
> > one 512 DDR Ram
> > An old creative 8x burner
> > A creative DVD rom that has 12x wrote on the outside
> > A zip 100
> > floppy 1.4
> > ATI PN 109-47200-00 (I can't find a model #, but the year is 199 &

it
> > has a small slot with a small card fitted in on the middle top of the

> card.
> > Few other cards....
> >
> > Anyways, Windows XP will not load anything but an NTSF format, then says

> it
> > could not do the format, tell me to pick another type of format....but

> does
> > not offer any other.
> >
> > So I pick a quick format NTSF, it completes it????? starts to install
> > windows the pops up some files cant be copies like:
> > W32tm.exe
> > wiavosd.ddl
> > wifeman.ddl WIFEMAN??????
> > & a few others,
> >
> > Looks like it completes the installation, but then says the install
> > failed......
> >
> > I believe the HD is good.....WD 450AA
> >
> > Any comments??.....are my problems because some idiot put to fast a
> > processor on the MB???
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Joe
> >

> The correct acronym is NTFS. You can't use W2K setup to create a FAT32
> partition larger than 32 Gigs. Thats why only NTFS is offered. Nothing

stops
> you from creating 2 distinct partitions in the case you prefer using

FAT32.

> As far as setup failing, disable any mbr antivirus in bios setup and
> disconnect at least one of the CD-Roms and the zip drive. Basicly, if you
> aren't going to take the time to verify hardware compatibility, remove all
> non-essential devices. Did you compare your hardware with the OS's
> compatibility list in the case you might need drivers? Did you check

whether
> a bios upgrade is an option?

Phil

Ya, but you will runs into problems with Me version since
it is the most unstable system. I'll swich to second edition.

SalterPeter did mention that you cannot use W2k to partition
your harddrive more then 32 gigs?

I wouldn't believe such thing since I was able partition
my 40 gigs harddrive for dos and Windows second edition.

Phil
> [...]

> > > processor on the MB???
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Joe
> > >

> > The correct acronym is NTFS. You can't use W2K setup to create a FAT32
> > partition larger than 32 Gigs. Thats why only NTFS is offered. Nothing

> stops
> > you from creating 2 distinct partitions in the case you prefer using

> FAT32.
> >
> > As far as setup failing, disable any mbr antivirus in bios setup and
> > disconnect at least one of the CD-Roms and the zip drive. Basicly, if

you
> > aren't going to take the time to verify hardware compatibility, remove

all
> > non-essential devices. Did you compare your hardware with the OS's
> > compatibility list in the case you might need drivers? Did you check

Joe Peach

I ran ME on my computer for 2 years with only a few problems......

Thanks, Phil

news:Fcp1c.15750$(E-Mail Removed). ..