Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Please help with this confusing network problem

Please help with this confusing network problem

JKJK

Hi, I have a desktop pc and a tablet pc(just think laptop). Anyway I
brought the netgeat MA111 for the pc so I could network the two. At
first it went great, better than great it was perfect, I could surf
the net from bed, transfer files etc. But recently I have had some
serious problems. One day I spent a few hours trying to troubleshoot
them, and then suddenly it started to work and I could ping each other
and ICS was working. I woke up the next day, turned it all on and it
wasn't working.

What make it extremely weird is that both say they are connected with
a strong signal strength. I can see the SSID I make on the pc on the
tablet and try to join it and it seems to work. But I can't even ping
each other. I have PAcketMon running and it detects the ip of the
tablet trying to do stuff, so there is definitely a connection, so I
think the problem is software...
I have tried to set the ips and subnet masks to 192.168.0.1/2 and
255.255.255.0 and then try to ping each other, and I can see in
PacketMon one ip sending a packet to the other but I can't actually
ping each other. If I leave windows to set the ips and subnet, the ips
are 169.254.167.61 169.254.141.238, with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0.
Anyway PacketMon picks up allot of packets, going from an ip to some
other ips, always with a 255 in them, i.e UDP from 169.254.167.61:137
to 169.254.255.255:137 size 78...

I used to think this was a wireless problem, but it is not. I tried
connecting them together useing a hub and wire but that had the same
sort of thing happen to it. The XP wizzards set everything up but it
just doesn't work. I've tried to also disable all the automatic
settings and set it all manually but with no luck. I belive the
problem to be a software problem or something..

I've tried to give you as much information as possible. Hopefully you
can help, Thanks in advance

P.S. firewall off when testing

°Mike°

http://www.wown.com/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

On 29 Feb 2004 16:38:28 -0800, in
<(E-Mail Removed) >
JKJK scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Dan Shea

On 29 Feb 2004 16:38:28 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (JKJK) wrote:

>Hi, I have a desktop pc and a tablet pc(just think laptop). Anyway I
>brought the netgeat MA111 for the pc so I could network the two.

More information, please. What are you using for a wireless access
point and router? What NIC is in the tablet PC?

>At
>first it went great, better than great it was perfect, I could surf
>the net from bed, transfer files etc. But recently I have had some
>serious problems. One day I spent a few hours trying to troubleshoot
>them, and then suddenly it started to work and I could ping each other
>and ICS was working. I woke up the next day, turned it all on and it
>wasn't working.
>
>What make it extremely weird is that both say they are connected with
>a strong signal strength. I can see the SSID I make on the pc on the
>tablet and try to join it and it seems to work. But I can't even ping
>each other. I have PAcketMon running and it detects the ip of the
>tablet trying to do stuff, so there is definitely a connection, so I
>think the problem is software...

Well, you've got a wireless signal, yes. It remains to be seen
whether you have a network connection.

>I have tried to set the ips and subnet masks to 192.168.0.1/2 and
>255.255.255.0 and then try to ping each other, and I can see in
>PacketMon one ip sending a packet to the other but I can't actually
>ping each other. If I leave windows to set the ips and subnet, the ips
>are 169.254.167.61 169.254.141.238, with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0.

These are the IP addresses you'll get when Windows doesn't find a DHCP
server. Am I correct in presuming you have a cable/DSL router that
provides DHCP services, and that your computers used to pick up their
TCP/IP settings from this device? Well, they no longer do so.
Despite the fact that your wireless connection is OK, your computers
are not connecting to your router. How is the router hooked up to the
WAP -- or are they one and the same device? Did you try ipconfig
/release and ipconfig /renew to see if you could force it to pick up
IP settings?

>Anyway PacketMon picks up allot of packets, going from an ip to some
>other ips, always with a 255 in them, i.e UDP from 169.254.167.61:137
>to 169.254.255.255:137 size 78...

Meaningless. Forget about PacketMon until you have valid IP settings.

>I used to think this was a wireless problem, but it is not. I tried
>connecting them together useing a hub and wire but that had the same
>sort of thing happen to it.

What TCP/IP settings were you using on the computers when you tried
this? DHCP, or manual settings? If manual, how were they set?

>The XP wizzards set everything up but it
>just doesn't work. I've tried to also disable all the automatic
>settings and set it all manually but with no luck. I belive the
>problem to be a software problem or something..

Not a chance. I think it's hardware. If you haven't changed cabling
to cause the problem, then the router itself is busted. I'm open to
changing my mind upon further information.

Cheers,
dan

JKJK

Dan Shea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> [...]

> >other ips, always with a 255 in them, i.e UDP from 169.254.167.61:137
> >to 169.254.255.255:137 size 78...

> Meaningless. Forget about PacketMon until you have valid IP settings.
>
> >I used to think this was a wireless problem, but it is not. I tried
> >connecting them together useing a hub and wire but that had the same
> >sort of thing happen to it.

> What TCP/IP settings were you using on the computers when you tried
> this? DHCP, or manual settings? If manual, how were they set?
>
> >The XP wizzards set everything up but it
> >just doesn't work. I've tried to also disable all the automatic
> >settings and set it all manually but with no luck. I belive the
> >problem to be a software problem or something..

> Not a chance. I think it's hardware. If you haven't changed cabling
> to cause the problem, then the router itself is busted. I'm open to
> changing my mind upon further information.

It's an Ad-hoc network so basically its a direct connection etween the
pc and tablet pc with nothing inbetween. The pc is connected to a
uni-lan network so thats how I access the internet. So basically,
Internet--->PC ethernet, PC wireless--->tablet.

There is no router, to clarify, the wireless network won't work, and a
hub and cable won't work, so thats useing completely different parts
each time, only the pcs are the same

Christopher Briley

Hey, i had a similar problem many moons ago on a Win98 network, turned out
that the tcp/ip stack was corrupted on one of the PC's. The only fix i found
was to uninstall and reinstall all of the networking components and then
upgrade the version of winsock.dll (probably not relevant to an XP box but
hey..thats what i did!). Hope this helps point you in the right direction...
Cheeeers

Paul
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

On 1 Mar 2004 01:43:09 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (JKJK) wrote:

>Dan Shea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> On 29 Feb 2004 16:38:28 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (JKJK) wrote:
>>
>> >Hi, I have a desktop pc and a tablet pc(just think laptop). Anyway I
>> >brought the netgeat MA111 for the pc so I could network the two.

>> More information, please. What are you using for a wireless access
>> point and router? What NIC is in the tablet PC?
>>
>> >At
>> >first it went great, better than great it was perfect, I could surf
>> >the net from bed, transfer files etc. But recently I have had some
>> >serious problems. One day I spent a few hours trying to troubleshoot
>> >them, and then suddenly it started to work and I could ping each other
>> >and ICS was working. I woke up the next day, turned it all on and it
>> >wasn't working.
>> >
>> >What make it extremely weird is that both say they are connected with
>> >a strong signal strength. I can see the SSID I make on the pc on the
>> >tablet and try to join it and it seems to work. But I can't even ping
>> >each other. I have PAcketMon running and it detects the ip of the
>> >tablet trying to do stuff, so there is definitely a connection, so I
>> >think the problem is software...

>> Well, you've got a wireless signal, yes. It remains to be seen
>> whether you have a network connection.
>>
>> >I have tried to set the ips and subnet masks to 192.168.0.1/2 and
>> >255.255.255.0 and then try to ping each other, and I can see in
>> >PacketMon one ip sending a packet to the other but I can't actually
>> >ping each other. If I leave windows to set the ips and subnet, the ips
>> >are 169.254.167.61 169.254.141.238, with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0.

<snip>
>It's an Ad-hoc network so basically its a direct connection etween the
>pc and tablet pc with nothing inbetween. The pc is connected to a
>uni-lan network so thats how I access the internet. So basically,
>Internet--->PC ethernet, PC wireless--->tablet.

Thanks for clarifying the physical setup. I've never had anything to
do with ad-hoc wireless networks before, but from the sound of things
you're right; the wireless is working OK, and your problem lies
elsewhere.

I thinik the answer remains the same: these are the IP addresses
Windows enters by default when no DHCP server is found. This should
not be the case for either PC. If you are using ICS on the desktop to
provide IP settings to your tablet PC, then the desktop should be set
to static IP address. It currently is not. Manually configure IP
settings on the desktop, or re-run the wizard to do it for you. The
IP address on the wireless card on the desktop should be in the
192.168.x.x range. After that's set up right, do ipconfig /release
and renew on the tablet PC to see if it will pick up a valid IP
address.

You might find the following link to be helpful.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e.../02april08.asp

Cheers,
dan

help! confusing "const"? Luna Moon C++ 5 07-07-2008 07:53 AM
Please Help! Strings are confusing! Sparticus C Programming 6 12-06-2005 11:56 PM
Confusing problem with page_unload loading listbox VB Programmer ASP .Net 1 09-22-2004 12:14 PM
confusing delete problem Joerg Toellner C++ 10 02-25-2004 08:31 AM