Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New or upgrading

New or upgrading

stitcher

What factors are the most important to consider when deciding whether or not
to upgrade or go for a whole new system?

Can you increase memory alone or is that not good enough unless you increase
MHz and hard drive?

-= Hawk =-

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 00:46:45 GMT, "stitcher" <(E-Mail Removed)>
scribbled:

>What factors are the most important to consider when deciding whether or not
>to upgrade or go for a whole new system?
>
>Can you increase memory alone or is that not good enough unless you increase
>MHz and hard drive?

1 - What do you use the current machine for.
2 - What DOESN'T the current machine do that you wish it would.
3 - How old is the current machine.
4 - What is your budget.

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett

br1ght

In most cases it is not worth upgrading since the price
of a new mobo, CPU and related items often is 2/3's of
the price of a new tower. You still are using an old,
likely significantly slower, HD, maybe a video
card/sound etc. Your old machine certainly wont have
the fastest memory and it likely won't work in your new
mobo... If you upgrade the HD too, you likely are at
nearly the price of new...

With that said, memory can make a marginal improvement.
If you have >128 megs, upgrading to 512 meg or1 gig can
eliminate caching to the HD helping increase speed. It
really does depend on your applications... if you use
graphic intensive progs or spreadsheets, generally buy
new... if you chiefly are surfing the web, the speed
difference between a P2 and most off the shelf towers
is negligible...

BTW if you want to speed up your system and don't
require XP, 2K or NT, using 98SE as your OS can
significantly help in most cases...

--
br1ght
_____________________________
news:Vrw%b.85709$(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: Can you increase memory alone or is that not good
enough unless you increase
: MHz and hard drive?
:
:

Dan Shea

wrote:

>What factors are the most important to consider when deciding whether or not
>to upgrade or go for a whole new system?
>
>Can you increase memory alone or is that not good enough unless you increase
>MHz and hard drive?

I concur with what the other posters have said. Regarding memory: You
can certainly increase memory alone (unless you're already maxed out
your motherboard). You do not need to upgrade anything else, you can
just add memory. Depending on how much you currently have and how
much you add, you will likely notice a substantial improvement. It's
the best, easiest, cheapest, most-bang-for-your-buck-iest thing you
can do for a computer.

Cheers,
dan