Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > hdd limitations

hdd limitations

Puzzled

I know I asked this before but I need a little more information about a
specific computer. I have an NEC Z-1 computer that was on the market for
a week or so before NEC pulled the plug on all support in North America
and there is absolutely NO place for me to request their advice.

The Z-1 is a hybrid - a laptop pretending to be a desktop. The hdd is
inside the neck of the stand holding the flat panel display. Its OS is
W98se and the original hdd was 8gb. I had a 20gb drive put in and had to
use a bios overlay to get the computer to see that size drive. I had tried
other sizes but could not get the computer to recognize them. The current
hdd, relatively new, is grinding the dance of imminent, permanent crash.
That's why I am back bothering you all again.

It was said here that W-XP allows all drive sizes. It was also said that
the bios could interfere with XP. I have XP Pro and could easily install
it if that would enable a larger hdd. But, if this isn't possible, I'd
rather keep W98 on this computer. Thanks for any and all advice.

eric the seal

These are some of the possibilities:

a) The BIOS could be preset to an 8.4GByte configuration. I have seen preset
BIOS in laptops but this seems unlikely in a machine that has an expansion
port for an additional drive.

b) The IDE connector for the drive could implement cable select - so your
replacement hard drive jumpers could be set wrong. If the original hard
drive has an identifiable make and model or has a jumper diagram on it, it
would be worth checking.

What operating system you implement wont affect this.

Be wary of changing to XP on this machine unless you know that drivers are
available. It probably uses special hardware and has been discontinued so I
doubt that anyone is bothering to produce frivers for it.

"Puzzled" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c1lsfm$1j6aev$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I know I asked this before but I need a little more information about a
> specific computer. I have an NEC Z-1 computer that was on the market for
> a week or so before NEC pulled the plug on all support in North America
> and there is absolutely NO place for me to request their advice.
>
> The Z-1 is a hybrid - a laptop pretending to be a desktop. The hdd is
> inside the neck of the stand holding the flat panel display. Its OS is
> W98se and the original hdd was 8gb. I had a 20gb drive put in and had to
> use a bios overlay to get the computer to see that size drive. I had tried
> other sizes but could not get the computer to recognize them. The current
> hdd, relatively new, is grinding the dance of imminent, permanent crash.
> That's why I am back bothering you all again.
>
> It was said here that W-XP allows all drive sizes. It was also said that
> the bios could interfere with XP. I have XP Pro and could easily install
> it if that would enable a larger hdd. But, if this isn't possible, I'd
> rather keep W98 on this computer. Thanks for any and all advice.

TheDailySpank

"Puzzled" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:c1lsfm$1j6aev$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> I know I asked this before but I need a little more information about
> a specific computer. I have an NEC Z-1 computer that was on the
> market for a week or so before NEC pulled the plug on all support in
> North America and there is absolutely NO place for me to request their
> advice.
>
> The Z-1 is a hybrid - a laptop pretending to be a desktop. The hdd is
> inside the neck of the stand holding the flat panel display. Its OS is
> W98se and the original hdd was 8gb. I had a 20gb drive put in and had
> to use a bios overlay to get the computer to see that size drive. I
> had tried other sizes but could not get the computer to recognize
> them. The current hdd, relatively new, is grinding the dance of
> imminent, permanent crash. That's why I am back bothering you all
> again.
>
> It was said here that W-XP allows all drive sizes. It was also said
> that the bios could interfere with XP. I have XP Pro and could easily
> install it if that would enable a larger hdd. But, if this isn't
> possible, I'd rather keep W98 on this computer. Thanks for any and
> all advice.

FAT32 can do drive much larger than 8gig so 98 vs XP is not the problem.

Sounds more like a BIOS limitation on the drive size. Time to get a new
machine.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

--
-=/ Someone@TheDailySpank /=-

Barry OGrady

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 07:29:22 GMT, TheDailySpank <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Puzzled" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:c1lsfm$1j6aev$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:
>
>> I know I asked this before but I need a little more information about
>> a specific computer. I have an NEC Z-1 computer that was on the
>> market for a week or so before NEC pulled the plug on all support in
>> North America and there is absolutely NO place for me to request their
>> advice.
>>
>> The Z-1 is a hybrid - a laptop pretending to be a desktop. The hdd is
>> inside the neck of the stand holding the flat panel display. Its OS is
>> W98se and the original hdd was 8gb. I had a 20gb drive put in and had
>> to use a bios overlay to get the computer to see that size drive. I
>> had tried other sizes but could not get the computer to recognize
>> them. The current hdd, relatively new, is grinding the dance of
>> imminent, permanent crash. That's why I am back bothering you all
>> again.
>>
>> It was said here that W-XP allows all drive sizes. It was also said
>> that the bios could interfere with XP. I have XP Pro and could easily
>> install it if that would enable a larger hdd. But, if this isn't
>> possible, I'd rather keep W98 on this computer. Thanks for any and
>> all advice.

>FAT32 can do drive much larger than 8gig so 98 vs XP is not the problem.
>
>Sounds more like a BIOS limitation on the drive size. Time to get a new
>machine.
>
>Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

That is not the way it is. He can use an overlay. I have a 120 gig drive on a
computer whose bios will not detect greater than 32 gigs.

>--
>-=/ Someone@TheDailySpank /=-

-Barry
========

TehGhodTrole

Barry OGrady wrote:

> He can use an overlay.

Thus saith the atheist nitwit who can't resolve his own problems.

So, brain above all brains, what is and how does one use "an overlay?" Or do
you intend that everyone take the atheist position and imagine it to mean
something that it doesn't?

--
TehGhodTrole: Trolling, for God's sake.
Your Free Insult: Jesus loves you.

TheDailySpank

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 02:06:57 +0000, TehGhodTrole wrote:

> Barry OGrady wrote:
>
>> He can use an overlay.

> Thus saith the atheist nitwit who can't resolve his own problems.
>
> So, brain above all brains, what is and how does one use "an overlay?" Or do
> you intend that everyone take the atheist position and imagine it to mean
> something that it doesn't?

Overlays are messy, unreliable, and IMO a bad idea.

If you ever get a machine that doesn't need the overlay and you put the
drive in that has the overlay as a secondary drive (non-boot) you can't
get to it. Very much not useful.

Learn to live/love/like what you've got and make the best of it. Stop
downloading the pr0n and get back to work!

--
-=/ Someone@TheDailySpank /=-

If it was done quickly,
it wasn't done right.