Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do I make desktop icons transparent!

How do I make desktop icons transparent!

Si

Hi

my desktop icons have a coloured background spoiling the look of my desktop.

How to I make these icons transparent?

I tried a programme called Activeicons but it didnt work. Ive also tried
Tweak UI, Fresh UI, and Xteq Systems but with no luck.

Im using XP Pro.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

Si

Pompey©

XP does it

Control Panel, System, Advanced, Performance area, Settings button
Visual Effects tab

"Use drop shadows for icon labels on the Desktop"
Daryn
"Si" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:z2t%b.785$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> my desktop icons have a coloured background spoiling the look of my

desktop.

> How to I make these icons transparent?
>
> I tried a programme called Activeicons but it didnt work. Ive also tried
> Tweak UI, Fresh UI, and Xteq Systems but with no luck.
>
> Im using XP Pro.
>
> Anyone any ideas?
>
> Cheers
>
> Si

Harrison

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:54:49 -0000, "Si" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>
>my desktop icons have a coloured background spoiling the look of my desktop.
>
>How to I make these icons transparent?
>
>I tried a programme called Activeicons but it didnt work. Ive also tried
>Tweak UI, Fresh UI, and Xteq Systems but with no luck.
>
>Im using XP Pro.
>
>Anyone any ideas?
>
>Cheers
>
>Si

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/troub-04.html

Si

Sorry Pompey@ but I cant see the option in the list to do this.

Which effect should I tick or untick?

Sorry to appear thick, but I just cant see it!

Your help is much appreciated.

Si

"Pompey©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:T9t%b.3088$(E-Mail Removed)...
> XP does it
>
> Control Panel, System, Advanced, Performance area, Settings button
> Visual Effects tab
>
> "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the Desktop"
> Daryn
> "Si" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:z2t%b.785$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> >
> > my desktop icons have a coloured background spoiling the look of my

> desktop.
> >
> > How to I make these icons transparent?
> >
> > I tried a programme called Activeicons but it didnt work. Ive also tried
> > Tweak UI, Fresh UI, and Xteq Systems but with no luck.
> >
> > Im using XP Pro.
> >
> > Anyone any ideas?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Si

Si

Thanks Harrison thats sorted it. Your a star!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >Hi
> >
> >my desktop icons have a coloured background spoiling the look of my

desktop.

> >How to I make these icons transparent?
> >
> >I tried a programme called Activeicons but it didnt work. Ive also tried
> >Tweak UI, Fresh UI, and Xteq Systems but with no luck.
> >
> >Im using XP Pro.
> >
> >Anyone any ideas?
> >
> >Cheers
> >
> >Si

> http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/troub-04.html

Dr Hackenbush

Try this
http://www.sillysot.com/

works a treat

"Si" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:z2t%b.785$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> my desktop icons have a coloured background spoiling the look of my

desktop.

> How to I make these icons transparent?
>
> I tried a programme called Activeicons but it didnt work. Ive also tried
> Tweak UI, Fresh UI, and Xteq Systems but with no luck.
>
> Im using XP Pro.
>
> Anyone any ideas?
>
> Cheers
>
> Si

Brian H¹©

Dr Hackenbush said:

> Try this
> http://www.sillysot.com/
>
> works a treat

Lovely jubbly, I've been looking for something myself to replace transparent.exe

> "Si" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:z2t%b.785$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>>
>> my desktop icons have a coloured background spoiling the look of my desktop.
>>
>> How to I make these icons transparent?
>>
>> I tried a programme called Activeicons but it didnt work. Ive also tried
>> Tweak UI, Fresh UI, and Xteq Systems but with no luck.
>>
>> Im using XP Pro.
>>
>> Anyone any ideas?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Si

@}-}-------Rosee

Scroll down. It is the second to the last in the scroll window....;o)

"Si" <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the
following words news:1ht%b.827$(E-Mail Removed):

--
@}-}-------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
www.freedonation.com www.hungersite.com

@}-}-------Rosee

Why have another program running when it is available through WinXP and
already enabled? So that means its running twice?. Well okay. Just
wondering?

Never mind...."*This program is sillyware.*" Made me chuckle...;oD

"Dr Hackenbush" <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the
following words news:3ju%b.162$fw6.73@newsfe1-win:

--
@}-}-------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
www.freedonation.com www.hungersite.com

Dr Hackenbush

Even if i turn it off it makes absolutely no difference to my resources
useage. Plus its far better than XP's effort. XP still leaves you with
crappy shadowed text
It might be sillyware but it does an excellent job and you cant ask for more
than that.......or can you ?