Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Antivirus for win95?

Antivirus for win95?

Sandy

Have one family computer with internet access and still using Win 95 and
no reason to upgrade except do not know of an antivirus program that
will work with Win 95.
Are there any?

Thanks.

philo

"Sandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have one family computer with internet access and still using Win 95 and
> no reason to upgrade except do not know of an antivirus program that
> will work with Win 95.
> Are there any?
>
> Thanks.

AVG should work ok

www.grisoft.com it's free!

Dan Shea

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:10:23 -0500, Sandy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Have one family computer with internet access and still using Win 95 and
>no reason to upgrade except do not know of an antivirus program that
>will work with Win 95.
>Are there any?

I was going to suggest F-Prot, but their website now lists Win98 as a
minimum requirement. You never know, it might work on 95. Sophos
still supports Win95. http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/ and has
minimal system requirements (8 MB RAM, 10 MB disk space), which your
computer hopefully meets.

There are other reasons to upgrade (e.g. it would be nice to be
running an OS which is still supported by its developer...) but if
you're aware of the potential problems and happy to continue, go nuts.

Cheers,
dan

°Mike°

eTrust Antivirus

Sophos Antivirus
http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

You should also consider F-Prot for DOS (free)
http://www.f-prot.com/download/download_fpdos.html

Get Art Kopp's F-Prot updater from here:
http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg/

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:10:23 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Sandy scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Sandy

Thanks to Philo, Dan, and Mike for the replies repeated below. I double
checked the suggestions and learned that Grisoft should work, F-Prot is
only supported with upgrades through Dec 2004, and Sophos and e-Trust
will work with Win 95.

The F-Prot for Dos should work also, but Art Kopp's site talking about
such things as using Russian programs scared me off.

With those several choices of anti-virus still available for Win 95 are
any of these programs considered the best of the lot?

And as Dan suggested, I agree it would be nice to upgrade the computer.
It is the computer Grandma uses for her letters, recipes, surfing and
e-mail and I am afraid of wrecking it if we try to upgrade it. It is a
Dell 266/32mb and the Dell site and support has been very contradictory
in its answers on how to upgrade it, drivers, etc. Now that it is an
antique, we will let it live out its days. It performs everything in
Microsoft Office flawlessly, so like an old car, it gets you there, just
maybe not as fast.

Thanks to all for the help.

Sandy

Sandy wrote:

> Have one family computer with internet access and still using Win 95 and
> no reason to upgrade except do not know of an antivirus program that
> will work with Win 95.
> Are there any?
>
> Thanks.

Philo wrote:
AVG should work ok

www.grisoft.com it's free!

AND DAN SHEA wrote:

I was going to suggest F-Prot, but their website now lists Win98 as a
minimum requirement. You never know, it might work on 95. Sophos
still supports Win95. http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/ and has
minimal system requirements (8 MB RAM, 10 MB disk space), which your
computer hopefully meets.

There are other reasons to upgrade (e.g. it would be nice to be
running an OS which is still supported by its developer...) but if
you're aware of the potential problems and happy to continue, go nuts.

AND MIKE wrote:

eTrust Antivirus

Sophos Antivirus

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:22:48 -0500, Sandy <"not really"@nothere.net>
wrote:

>Thanks to Philo, Dan, and Mike for the replies repeated below. I double
>checked the suggestions and learned that Grisoft should work, F-Prot is
>only supported with upgrades through Dec 2004, and Sophos and e-Trust
>will work with Win 95.
>
>The F-Prot for Dos should work also, but Art Kopp's site talking about
>such things as using Russian programs scared me off.
>
>With those several choices of anti-virus still available for Win 95 are
>any of these programs considered the best of the lot?

Not as far as I know. They're all good. I would suggest you probably
want something that will run as a Windows program to catch any viruses
as they come in -- in other words, not F-PROT for DOS. It's a great
virus scanner, but doesn't do auto-protect. (FWIW, the mentions of
Russia on that page have nothing to do with F-PROT, which is actually
in Iceland (or at least that's where the charge on my VISA bill showed
up as...) and should not be construed as a reason for not using
F-PROT.)

I would *not* recommend AVG, but that's my personal preference. I've
had some bad experiences with it. Other people swear by it. YMMV.

Thatt leaves Sophos and eTrust. Either would be fine.

>And as Dan suggested, I agree it would be nice to upgrade the computer.
>It is the computer Grandma uses for her letters, recipes, surfing and
>e-mail and I am afraid of wrecking it if we try to upgrade it. It is a
>Dell 266/32mb and the Dell site and support has been very contradictory
>in its answers on how to upgrade it, drivers, etc. Now that it is an
>antique, we will let it live out its days. It performs everything in
>Microsoft Office flawlessly, so like an old car, it gets you there, just
>maybe not as fast.

More power to it and you! They're not obsolete 'til they can't do
what you want 'em to do.

Cheers,
dan

°Mike°

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:22:48 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Sandy scrawled:

>Thanks to Philo, Dan, and Mike for the replies repeated below. I double
>checked the suggestions and learned that Grisoft should work, F-Prot is
>only supported with upgrades through Dec 2004, and Sophos and e-Trust
>will work with Win 95.
>
>The F-Prot for Dos should work also, but Art Kopp's site talking about
>such things as using Russian programs scared me off.

Art's site is crappy and confusing, but don't let that worry you.
His F-Prot updater is very good. Here's what you need:
http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg/f-pup.exe

>With those several choices of anti-virus still available for Win 95 are
>any of these programs considered the best of the lot?

eTrust Antivirus is the absolute choice for Windows 95, because
of it's very small footprint, along with it's efficacy. Once you
have your serial number, you can download the smaller
version 6.1.7 (approx. 3 MB as opposed to 7MB).
ftp://ftp.ca.com/pub/myeTrust/apps/EZAntivirus.exe

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Fridrik Skulason

Sandy <"not really"@nothere.net> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Thanks to Philo, Dan, and Mike for the replies repeated below. I double
> checked the suggestions and learned that Grisoft should work, F-Prot is
> only supported with upgrades through Dec 2004,

Windows '95 is "officially" considered obsolete by Microsoft, and is
not really supported by them any more. There is, however, still a
small percentage of (paying) F-PROT customers that run Win '95, and we
will support them for a while.

However, when the Windows F-PROT 4.0 is released, it simply will not
work on Win '95 - it is just not possible (The DOS and command-line
versions will work, however). We will, however, continue to support
3.x for a while, by releasing updated .DEF files, for one year after
we stop selling 3.x - that is, as long as the licenses for 3.x are
valid - beyond that we will not support 3.x.

We are not alone - other software producers, both in the anti-virus
industry and elsewhere) are withdrawing support for '95, although
many may "unofficially" support it if it is not too much effort.

-frisk

Sandy

Thanks for follow-up comments and suggestions from Mike, Dan Shea and
Fridrik Skulason (see excerpts below).

I appreciate Fridrik's input about the lessening support that users of
Win95 must expect form all sources, and that is something we just live
with also on my Win98se computer. As a result, we will try eTrust for
this Win 95 need and also follow Mike's suggestion to use the smaller
edition.

No offense meant earlier to Art Kopp or F-Prot by my comment.."The
F-Prot for Dos should work also, but Art Kopp's site talking about such
things as using Russian programs scared me off. " Without knowing just
who Art Kopp is, the offer on his site to download a "Trojan Tracker"
from Russia gave me pause. Everything I have found about F-prot was
positive. I assume Art Kopp and F-Prot are separate entities. And I
liked some of the suggestions Art makes on his site.

Sandy

Sandy wrote:
> snip
>With those several choices of anti-virus still available for Win 95 are
>any of these programs considered the best of the lot?

Mike responded:

snip...eTrust Antivirus is the absolute choice for Windows 95, because
of it's very small footprint, along with it's efficacy. Once you
have your serial number, you can download the smaller
version 6.1.7 (approx. 3 MB as opposed to 7MB).
ftp://ftp.ca.com/pub/myeTrust/apps/E...irus.exe..snip

Dan Shea advised:

snip...Not as far as I know. They're all good. I would suggest you
probably
want something that will run as a Windows program to catch any viruses
as they come in -- in other words, not F-PROT for DOS. It's a great
virus scanner, but doesn't do auto-protect..snip.....I would *not*
recommend AVG, but that's my personal preference. I've
had some bad experiences with it. Other people swear by it. YMMV.

Thatt leaves Sophos and eTrust. Either would be fine. .snip

Fridrik Skulison advised:

[...]

I'm just in awe that Fridrik posted here. F-PROT is legendary, or at
least it should be. The DOS version still kicks ass, and I have
several corporate clients on F-PROT for Windows. "Where's my Norton?
What's this?" they ask. "Don't worry, it's big in Europe," I tell
them.

Cheers,
dan