Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wrong Spelling User Name Windows XP

Wrong Spelling User Name Windows XP

Kimball K Kinnison

I am the sole user on my computer running windows XP Pro.

When I set my account up I used by mistake lower case for the surname i.e.
Joe bloggs instead of Joe Bloggs.
I renamed the account using User Accounts in control panel and from Windows
it appears as Joe Bloggs however when I open a DOS prompt it is still lower
case eg c:\Documents And Settings\Joe bloggs\My Documents. Is there anyway
to alter this?

Thanx

James Haddow

I done the same thing, can someone help?

Metaphor.

"Kimball K Kinnison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c1l4ge$1i24tv$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I am the sole user on my computer running windows XP Pro.
>
> When I set my account up I used by mistake lower case for the surname i.e.
> Joe bloggs instead of Joe Bloggs.
> I renamed the account using User Accounts in control panel and from

Windows
> it appears as Joe Bloggs however when I open a DOS prompt it is still

lower
> case eg c:\Documents And Settings\Joe bloggs\My Documents. Is there anyway
> to alter this?
>
> Thanx

Brian H供

Kimball K Kinnison said:

> I am the sole user on my computer running windows XP Pro.
>
> When I set my account up I used by mistake lower case for the surname i.e.
> Joe bloggs instead of Joe Bloggs.
> I renamed the account using User Accounts in control panel and from Windows
> it appears as Joe Bloggs however when I open a DOS prompt it is still lower
> case eg c:\Documents And Settings\Joe bloggs\My Documents. Is there anyway
> to alter this?
>
> Thanx

Does it really matter?

Kimball K Kinnison

"Brian H供" <(E-Mail Removed)-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> Kimball K Kinnison said:
>
> > I am the sole user on my computer running windows XP Pro.
> >
> > When I set my account up I used by mistake lower case for the surname

i.e.
> > Joe bloggs instead of Joe Bloggs.
> > I renamed the account using User Accounts in control panel and from

Windows
> > it appears as Joe Bloggs however when I open a DOS prompt it is still

lower
> > case eg c:\Documents And Settings\Joe bloggs\My Documents. Is there

anyway
> > to alter this?
> >
> > Thanx

> Does it really matter?

No

But it would be nice to fix!

Brian H供

Kimball K Kinnison said:

> "Brian H供" <> wrote in message
>> Kimball K Kinnison said:
>>
>>> I am the sole user on my computer running windows XP Pro.
>>>
>>> When I set my account up I used by mistake lower case for the surname i.e.
>>> Joe bloggs instead of Joe Bloggs.
>>> I renamed the account using User Accounts in control panel and from Windows
>>> it appears as Joe Bloggs however when I open a DOS prompt it is still lower
>>> case eg c:\Documents And Settings\Joe bloggs\My Documents. Is there anyway
>>> to alter this?
>>>
>>> Thanx

>> Does it really matter?
>>

> No
>
> But it would be nice to fix!

Try renaming the Joe bloggs folder, create a new folder Joe Bloggs, cut and
paste all the contents of the renamed Joe bloggs folder into the Joe Bloggs
folder.

Brian H供

Brian H供 said:

> Kimball K Kinnison said:
>
>> "Brian H供" <> wrote in message

>>> Does it really matter?
>>>

>> No
>>
>> But it would be nice to fix!

> Try renaming the Joe bloggs folder, create a new folder Joe Bloggs, cut and
> paste all the contents of the renamed Joe bloggs folder into the Joe Bloggs
> folder.

Then delete Joe bloggs.

> Brian H供 said:
>
> > Kimball K Kinnison said:
> >
> >> "Brian H供" <> wrote in message

i.e.

Windows

lower

anyway

> >> No
> >>
> >> But it would be nice to fix!

> > Try renaming the Joe bloggs folder, create a new folder Joe Bloggs, cut

and
> > paste all the contents of the renamed Joe bloggs folder into the Joe

Bloggs
> > folder.

> Then delete Joe bloggs.

"Access Denied"

Harvey Gratt

Kimball K Kinnison wrote:
> "Brian H供" <(E-Mail Removed)-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>Brian H供 said:

> i.e.

> Windows

> lower

> anyway

>>>Try renaming the Joe bloggs folder, create a new folder Joe Bloggs, cut

> and
>
>>>paste all the contents of the renamed Joe bloggs folder into the Joe

> Bloggs
>
>>>folder.

>>Then delete Joe bloggs.
>>

> "Access Denied"

I just recently posted the same question. In my case, I could not get
everything to transfer correctly.

But, try this. First create a Restore Point, just in case. Then log on
as administrator (for xp pro hit cntrl-alt-delete twice at the welcome
screen, type "administrator" for the user name , without the "'s). You
should be then be able to log in as the administrator.

Now try to rename and cut and paste, etc. as described before. Restart
and log in as usual. Check if the folder is the way you want it
(including the sub-folders,i.e, "my documents") and that documents, etc.
save to the new folder.

If this works for you, I may give it another try.

Harvey