Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Unable to start IE

Unable to start IE

Falcon Freak

Can anybody help? This problem has only shown up in last 24 hours. I am
unable to run IE. When I go to start the program it immediately comes up
with the box "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to
close.We are sorry for the inconvenience".

When I hit the send error report button the program just hangs up. When I
look at the fault details it says the following:

AppName:iexplore.exe
AppVer:6.0.2800.1106
ModName: winshow.dll
ModVer: 1.0.0.6
Offset:0000a95e

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

FF

Falcon Freak

And I can't find either of the listed files on my Windows XP Home Edition CD
which came with my computer

"Falcon Freak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9Gk%b.77335$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anybody help? This problem has only shown up in last 24 hours. I am
> unable to run IE. When I go to start the program it immediately comes up
> with the box "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to
> close.We are sorry for the inconvenience".
>
> When I hit the send error report button the program just hangs up. When I
> look at the fault details it says the following:
>
> AppName:iexplore.exe
> AppVer:6.0.2800.1106
> ModName: winshow.dll
> ModVer: 1.0.0.6
> Offset:0000a95e
>
> Thanks in advance to all who respond.
>
> FF

Travis S.

Try to go to the Add/Remove programs and have IE reinstall to fix damaged
components. Otherwise, upgrade to the later version of IE, if you're on 5.0
.... this usually fixes the problem.

"Falcon Freak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Yol%b.77429$(E-Mail Removed)...
> And I can't find either of the listed files on my Windows XP Home Edition

CD
> which came with my computer
>
> "Falcon Freak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9Gk%b.77335$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can anybody help? This problem has only shown up in last 24 hours. I am
> > unable to run IE. When I go to start the program it immediately comes up
> > with the box "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to
> > close.We are sorry for the inconvenience".
> >
> > When I hit the send error report button the program just hangs up. When

> > look at the fault details it says the following:
> >
> > AppName:iexplore.exe
> > AppVer:6.0.2800.1106
> > ModName: winshow.dll
> > ModVer: 1.0.0.6
> > Offset:0000a95e
> >
> > Thanks in advance to all who respond.
> >
> > FF

eric the seal

I would suggest, if you haven't done it, that you give the system a thorough
anti-virus and anti-spyware check. Something killed it ..

"Travis S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try to go to the Add/Remove programs and have IE reinstall to fix damaged
> components. Otherwise, upgrade to the later version of IE, if you're on

5.0
> ... this usually fixes the problem.
>
> "Falcon Freak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Yol%b.77429$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > And I can't find either of the listed files on my Windows XP Home

Edition
> CD
> > which came with my computer
> >
> > "Falcon Freak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:9Gk%b.77335$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Can anybody help? This problem has only shown up in last 24 hours. I

am
> > > unable to run IE. When I go to start the program it immediately comes

up
> > > with the box "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to
> > > close.We are sorry for the inconvenience".
> > >
> > > When I hit the send error report button the program just hangs up.

When
> > > look at the fault details it says the following:
> > >
> > > AppName:iexplore.exe
> > > AppVer:6.0.2800.1106
> > > ModName: winshow.dll
> > > ModVer: 1.0.0.6
> > > Offset:0000a95e
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance to all who respond.
> > >
> > > FF

Dan Shea

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:22:45 GMT, "Falcon Freak" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Can anybody help? This problem has only shown up in last 24 hours. I am
>unable to run IE. When I go to start the program it immediately comes up
>with the box "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to
>close.We are sorry for the inconvenience".
>
>When I hit the send error report button the program just hangs up. When I
>look at the fault details it says the following:
>
>AppName:iexplore.exe
>AppVer:6.0.2800.1106
>ModName: winshow.dll
>ModVer: 1.0.0.6
>Offset:0000a95e

Downloaded and installed anything lately? You've got some malware on
your system.

http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/w/winshow.asp
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...SHOW.A&VSect=T

Pest Patrol claims to be able to get rid of it. I suggest you also
download, install, and run AdAware and SpyBot. Where there's one,
there's usually several.

Cheers,
dan

Unknown

To repair IE and OE see KB article Q318378 at Microsoft.
"Falcon Freak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Yol%b.77429$(E-Mail Removed)...
> And I can't find either of the listed files on my Windows XP Home Edition CD
> which came with my computer
>
> "Falcon Freak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9Gk%b.77335$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can anybody help? This problem has only shown up in last 24 hours. I am
> > unable to run IE. When I go to start the program it immediately comes up
> > with the box "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to
> > close.We are sorry for the inconvenience".
> >
> > When I hit the send error report button the program just hangs up. When I
> > look at the fault details it says the following:
> >
> > AppName:iexplore.exe
> > AppVer:6.0.2800.1106
> > ModName: winshow.dll
> > ModVer: 1.0.0.6
> > Offset:0000a95e
> >
> > Thanks in advance to all who respond.
> >
> > FF

Falcon Freak

Um, er, I don't have any anti virus or spyware software. Is it too late to
install such software on an inffected computer? Would it be better just to
srub the hard disk and the start afresh?

FF

"eric the seal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would suggest, if you haven't done it, that you give the system a

thorough
> anti-virus and anti-spyware check. Something killed it ..
>

> "Travis S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Try to go to the Add/Remove programs and have IE reinstall to fix

damaged
> > components. Otherwise, upgrade to the later version of IE, if you're on

> 5.0
> > ... this usually fixes the problem.
> >
> > "Falcon Freak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Yol%b.77429$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > And I can't find either of the listed files on my Windows XP Home

> Edition
> > CD
> > > which came with my computer
> > >
> > > "Falcon Freak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:9Gk%b.77335$(E-Mail Removed)...

> am

comes
> up

> When

trout

Falcon Freak wrote:

> Can anybody help? This problem has only shown up in last 24 hours. I
> am unable to run IE. When I go to start the program it immediately
> comes up with the box "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem
> and needs to close.We are sorry for the inconvenience".
>
> When I hit the send error report button the program just hangs up.
> When I look at the fault details it says the following:
>
> AppName:iexplore.exe
> AppVer:6.0.2800.1106
> ModName: winshow.dll
> ModVer: 1.0.0.6
> Offset:0000a95e
>
> Thanks in advance to all who respond.
>
> FF

What's your OS; and *do* you have another browser to look at all
those sites that were so kindly provided?
--
"Thought I'd better ask."

Falcon Freak

OS - Windows XP Home Edition
Other browers - no

Is there a way to get other browers on-line without Internet Explorer?

FF

news:c1ls8i$1jqqjm$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Falcon Freak wrote:
>
> > Can anybody help? This problem has only shown up in last 24 hours. I
> > am unable to run IE. When I go to start the program it immediately
> > comes up with the box "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem
> > and needs to close.We are sorry for the inconvenience".
> >
> > When I hit the send error report button the program just hangs up.
> > When I look at the fault details it says the following:
> >
> > AppName:iexplore.exe
> > AppVer:6.0.2800.1106
> > ModName: winshow.dll
> > ModVer: 1.0.0.6
> > Offset:0000a95e
> >
> > Thanks in advance to all who respond.
> >
> > FF

> What's your OS; and *do* you have another browser to look at all
> those sites that were so kindly provided?
> --
> "Thought I'd better ask."

trout

Falcon Freak wrote:

> OS - Windows XP Home Edition
> Other browers - no
>
> Is there a way to get other browers on-line without Internet Explorer?
>
> FF

Um, maybe. But maybe better to try a couple of things, first. Have
you tried to run a System File Check? From the Microsoft article:

"Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on
your computer:
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.

Note that you may be prompted for the Windows XP or Windows XP Service
Pack 1 installation media.
Test to determine if the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved,
skip the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, continue to the
next step."

If you haven't; try this first.