Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Installing a second hard drive

Installing a second hard drive

George

I am trying to install a second hard drive in my Pavilion 503n and the
instructions on the web site aren't working. I have installed the hard drive
and it shows up in my BIOS. The step after checking that the hard drive
shows up in the BIO is to insert the first system recovery disk and turn off
the computer by pushing the power button. Then it says to wait 60 seconds
before you restart the computer. The next step is "at the advanced options
menu select DOS screen. When I reboot I don't get advanced options the
computer restarts in Windows XP. If I press F5 while booting I get a group
of options but the only operating system available is Windows XP.

I am supposed to run FDISK to configure the hard drive. I have tried making
a MS-DOS boot disk but it didn't work either. Any suggestions? The
instructions are at the link below.
Thanks
George in Las Vegas

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search...s&prodId=hppav
ilion90381&docName=bph03429&printable=true

Hywel

In article <OYW_b.17607$(E-Mail Removed)> , gkbiv4
@prodigy.net says...
> I am trying to install a second hard drive in my Pavilion 503n and the
> instructions on the web site aren't working. I have installed the hard drive
> and it shows up in my BIOS. The step after checking that the hard drive
> shows up in the BIO is to insert the first system recovery disk and turn off
> the computer by pushing the power button. Then it says to wait 60 seconds
> before you restart the computer. The next step is "at the advanced options
> menu select DOS screen. When I reboot I don't get advanced options the
> computer restarts in Windows XP. If I press F5 while booting I get a group
> of options but the only operating system available is Windows XP.

Let your computer boot to Windows XP, then find "Computer Management" in
Control Panel > Administrative Tools. Expand the "Storage" tab, click
"Disk Management" - do the partitioning and formatting from there.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://kibo.org.uk/

BARRY AYRES

hi,
disconnect your xp drive & boot onthe new drive with your floppy in, you
will then be able to format or fdisk it, once complete shut down, then
connect the xp drive with it & reboot.
"George" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OYW_b.17607$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I am trying to install a second hard drive in my Pavilion 503n and the
> instructions on the web site aren't working. I have installed the hard

drive
> and it shows up in my BIOS. The step after checking that the hard drive
> shows up in the BIO is to insert the first system recovery disk and turn

off
> the computer by pushing the power button. Then it says to wait 60 seconds
> before you restart the computer. The next step is "at the advanced options
> menu select DOS screen. When I reboot I don't get advanced options the
> computer restarts in Windows XP. If I press F5 while booting I get a group
> of options but the only operating system available is Windows XP.
>
> I am supposed to run FDISK to configure the hard drive. I have tried

making
> a MS-DOS boot disk but it didn't work either. Any suggestions? The
> instructions are at the link below.
> Thanks
> George in Las Vegas

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search...s&prodId=hppav
> ilion90381&docName=bph03429&printable=true

br1ght

Your bootdisk with fdisk and format can be found here:
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Have set the jumper(s) so you have a slave and a
master? Are they plugged into the right cable/plug?

Do you have both IDE channels turned on in the bios?
(this one has got me before since there sometimes is 2
setting on different bios pages).
--
br1ght
_____________________________
"George" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OYW_b.17607$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I am trying to install a second hard drive in my

Pavilion 503n and the
> instructions on the web site aren't working. I have

installed the hard drive
> and it shows up in my BIOS. The step after checking

that the hard drive
> shows up in the BIO is to insert the first system

recovery disk and turn off
> the computer by pushing the power button. Then it

says to wait 60 seconds
> before you restart the computer. The next step is "at

the advanced options
> menu select DOS screen. When I reboot I don't get

advanced options the
> computer restarts in Windows XP. If I press F5 while

booting I get a group
> of options but the only operating system available is

Windows XP.

> I am supposed to run FDISK to configure the hard

drive. I have tried making
> a MS-DOS boot disk but it didn't work either. Any

suggestions? The
> instructions are at the link below.
> Thanks
> George in Las Vegas

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=
en&cc=us&prodId=hppav
> ilion90381&docName=bph03429&printable=true

George

Thanks for your answers. I didn't get to try any of them because I checked
the manufacturers website and found a utility that worked.
George in Las Vegas

br1ght

You're welcome. Glad your problem is solve.

--
br1ght
"George" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tYg%b.47511$(E-Mail Removed) om...
: Thanks for your answers. I didn't get to try any of
them because I checked
: the manufacturers website and found a utility that
worked.
: George in Las Vegas
:
: