Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WiFi Wireless Help Needed

Reply
Thread Tools

WiFi Wireless Help Needed

 
 
Scott G.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2004

My Dell laptop has built in wireless (B and G) capability and it works great
in my house. I have been to two separate locations in the last few days that
offered "free" and "open" wireless access. According to my WiFi gauge (Dell
TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini PC Card Utility) I had "excellent" signal and
confirmed that the networks were "open" yet I could not open ANY web pages
nor download and email. I shut down completely and re-booted twice and still
had no luck.

Any ideas or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks, Scott


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Meat-->Plow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2004
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:39:42 -0500, "Scott G." <(E-Mail Removed)>,wrote:

>
>My Dell laptop has built in wireless (B and G) capability and it works great
>in my house. I have been to two separate locations in the last few days that
>offered "free" and "open" wireless access. According to my WiFi gauge (Dell
>TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini PC Card Utility) I had "excellent" signal and
>confirmed that the networks were "open" yet I could not open ANY web pages
>nor download and email. I shut down completely and re-booted twice and still
>had no luck.
>
>Any ideas or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!
>
>Thanks, Scott
>


Did those networks offer (broadcast) their SSID?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Scott G.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2004
> Did those networks offer (broadcast) their SSID?

Honestly I don't recall

The one location (Allentown Airport, ABE) does offer and advertise fee
wireless access and someone next to me was able to access without problem.
Of course, he had a MAC ;-')


 
Reply With Quote
 
Duane Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2004
"Scott G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:403bfcdf$0$3067$(E-Mail Removed):

>
> My Dell laptop has built in wireless (B and G) capability and it works
> great in my house. I have been to two separate locations in the last
> few days that offered "free" and "open" wireless access. According to
> my WiFi gauge (Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini PC Card Utility) I had
> "excellent" signal and confirmed that the networks were "open" yet I
> could not open ANY web pages nor download and email. I shut down
> completely and re-booted twice and still had no luck.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!
>
> Thanks, Scott
>
>
>


Did the computer's wireless NIC get a valid IP from the network's DHCP IP
server. If it didn't get a valid IP from the network, then you can have
100% signal strength and it will mean nothing, because the machine did
not get a valid connection or IP on the network that's going to allow you
to access the Internet with the computer.

Type in IPCONFIG /all at the Command Prompt and look at the IP the next
time. And if the IP starts with 169., it's a default IP being assigned
indicating that the computer didn't get a valid IP from a DHCP server on
the network.

It's due to some mis-configuration that's stopping the machine's NIC from
getting a valid IP.

Duane


 
Reply With Quote
 
Harrison
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2004
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:39:42 -0500, "Scott G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>My Dell laptop has built in wireless (B and G) capability and it works great
>in my house. I have been to two separate locations in the last few days that
>offered "free" and "open" wireless access. According to my WiFi gauge (Dell
>TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini PC Card Utility) I had "excellent" signal and
>confirmed that the networks were "open" yet I could not open ANY web pages
>nor download and email. I shut down completely and re-booted twice and still
>had no luck.
>
>Any ideas or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!
>
>Thanks, Scott


Try NetStumbler or Boingo
http://www.netstumbler.com/download....&orderby=hitsD

http://www.boingo.com/download.html

They work great on war drives, so they should take care of your needs as well.
Basically, they look for any prevalent wireless network and allow you to connect to them.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Shabby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2004

"Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9499D96A57B84notmwnotmecom@216.148.227.77. ..
> "Scott G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:403bfcdf$0$3067$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> >
> > My Dell laptop has built in wireless (B and G) capability and it works
> > great in my house. I have been to two separate locations in the last
> > few days that offered "free" and "open" wireless access. According to
> > my WiFi gauge (Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini PC Card Utility) I had
> > "excellent" signal and confirmed that the networks were "open" yet I
> > could not open ANY web pages nor download and email. I shut down
> > completely and re-booted twice and still had no luck.
> >
> > Any ideas or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks, Scott
> >
> >
> >

>
> Did the computer's wireless NIC get a valid IP from the network's DHCP IP
> server. If it didn't get a valid IP from the network, then you can have
> 100% signal strength and it will mean nothing, because the machine did
> not get a valid connection or IP on the network that's going to allow you
> to access the Internet with the computer.
>
> Type in IPCONFIG /all at the Command Prompt and look at the IP the next
> time. And if the IP starts with 169., it's a default IP being assigned
> indicating that the computer didn't get a valid IP from a DHCP server on
> the network.
>
> It's due to some mis-configuration that's stopping the machine's NIC from
> getting a valid IP.
>
> Duane
>
>


probably the AP you are trying to connect to does not use DHCP - I have a
home setup and use all static IP assignment and MAC address filtering. So un
less you can spoof one of two machines allowed to connect then the AP won't
allow you to do anything




 
Reply With Quote
 
Scott G.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2004
> Did the computer's wireless NIC get a valid IP from the network's DHCP IP
> server. If it didn't get a valid IP from the network, then you can have
> 100% signal strength and it will mean nothing, because the machine did
> not get a valid connection or IP on the network that's going to allow you
> to access the Internet with the computer.
>
> Type in IPCONFIG /all at the Command Prompt and look at the IP the next
> time. And if the IP starts with 169., it's a default IP being assigned
> indicating that the computer didn't get a valid IP from a DHCP server on
> the network.
>
> It's due to some mis-configuration that's stopping the machine's NIC from
> getting a valid IP.
>
> Duane


Thanks for the response Duane! I honestly don't know if the wireless NIC got
a valid IP from the network or not. I will check when I am there again next
week. If it is a mis-configuration, is it on my end or theirs? As info, if
it matters, on my home network we do have WEP encryption and need a password
to access the system. I have gotten on at Starbuck's (hot spot) previously
but its been awhile since I have tried.

Thanks again, Scott


 
Reply With Quote
 
Scott G.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2004
> probably the AP you are trying to connect to does not use DHCP - I have a
> home setup and use all static IP assignment and MAC address filtering. So

un
> less you can spoof one of two machines allowed to connect then the AP

won't
> allow you to do anything


So, perhaps in the one case (Allentown Airport, www.lvia.org) I should share
this with them since they just recently unveiled the free wireless
capability and may not be aware of this problem, right?

Thanks!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Duane Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2004
"Scott G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:403d51ba$0$3080$(E-Mail Removed):

>> Did the computer's wireless NIC get a valid IP from the network's
>> DHCP IP server. If it didn't get a valid IP from the network, then
>> you can have 100% signal strength and it will mean nothing, because
>> the machine did not get a valid connection or IP on the network
>> that's going to allow you to access the Internet with the computer.
>>
>> Type in IPCONFIG /all at the Command Prompt and look at the IP the
>> next time. And if the IP starts with 169., it's a default IP being
>> assigned indicating that the computer didn't get a valid IP from a
>> DHCP server on the network.
>>
>> It's due to some mis-configuration that's stopping the machine's NIC
>> from getting a valid IP.
>>
>> Duane

>
> Thanks for the response Duane! I honestly don't know if the wireless
> NIC got a valid IP from the network or not. I will check when I am
> there again next week. If it is a mis-configuration, is it on my end
> or theirs? As info, if it matters, on my home network we do have WEP
> encryption and need a password to access the system. I have gotten on
> at Starbuck's (hot spot) previously but its been awhile since I have
> tried.
>
> Thanks again, Scott
>
>


You'll have to check with an Admin of the hot spot as to the
configuration needed for your machine to join the network.

If you're using XP, then you can setup multiple NIC configurations to
join different networks.

http://asia.cnet.com/itmanager/netad...9148297,00.htm

Duane
 
Reply With Quote
 
Scott G.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2004

"> You'll have to check with an Admin of the hot spot as to the
> configuration needed for your machine to join the network.
>
> If you're using XP, then you can setup multiple NIC configurations to
> join different networks.
>
> http://asia.cnet.com/itmanager/netad...9148297,00.htm


Thanks again Duane! I do use XP so I will review the article. As for
checking with the Admin of the hot spot
(http://www.lvia.org/wireless/index.html), I will though I suspect that they
are as lost as I am. This is new for them and I think that they will end up
having to go back to their provider.

Thanks again, Scott


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
using ciso 1131 wifi AP with wifi extender avraham@g.jct.ac.il Cisco 1 02-06-2013 03:34 PM
Files Visible Over WiFi and Hard-Wired, But Won't Open Over WiFi? (PeteCresswell) Wireless Networking 2 12-29-2008 05:21 PM
Help needed with home Wifi Noel S Pamfree Wireless Networking 4 10-28-2007 01:33 AM
a directory of free wifi site and we also promote expanded free wifi asnicholasjr@comcast.net Wireless Networking 0 05-02-2007 12:03 PM
Dell True Mobile 1300"G" WiFi Card/Notebook and Hotel WiFi and WiFii Hot Spots Mike Computer Support 5 06-17-2004 04:09 AM



Advertisments