Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > can't do DOS screen capture

can't do DOS screen capture

Rick Merrill

Under Windows XP running a custom DOS program that
reads the mouse and the keyboard ... Alt-Tab works but
PrintScreen does not work with any combination of Alt,Shift
and/or Control - What could be preventing a screen capture?
Could it be the use of dual screen (1 & 2)? - RM

°Mike°

I'm not sure what would be preventing it, but you could
try MWSnap (free).
http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:28:39 GMT, in
<H6R_b.8050$AL.151931@attbi_s03>
Rick Merrill scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Rick Merrill

°Mike° wrote:
> I'm not sure what would be preventing it, but you could
> try MWSnap (free).
> http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html
>

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:28:39 GMT, in
> <H6R_b.8050$AL.151931@attbi_s03>
> Rick Merrill scrawled:
>

>> Under Windows XP running a custom DOS program that
>>reads the mouse and the keyboard ... Alt-Tab works but
>>PrintScreen does not work with any combination of Alt,Shift
>>and/or Control - What could be preventing a screen capture?
>>Could it be the use of dual screen (1 & 2)? - RM

MWSNAP is very cute program, but it does not capture
a DOS window. - RM

Dan Shea

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:28:39 GMT, Rick Merrill
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Under Windows XP running a custom DOS program that
>reads the mouse and the keyboard ... Alt-Tab works but
>PrintScreen does not work with any combination of Alt,Shift
>and/or Control - What could be preventing a screen capture?
>Could it be the use of dual screen (1 & 2)? - RM

If you do a screen capture of a dual monitor desktop, it should show
both desktops as one continuous screen. PrtScr (and Alt-PrtScr) work
at the Windows level to capture the screen or active window. Couple
questions:

1) Can you do PrtScr and Alt-PrtScr when you're NOT running this DOS
program? In other words, do they EVER work?

2) Can you use Alt-PrtScr *at all* when the DOS program is running?
E.g. start another program, make it the active window, and attempt to
screen-capture its window. What happens?

I suspect that PrtScr is working at the Windows level but is disabled
by the DOS program while you're in it. I would try using something
like SnagIt.

Cheers,
dan

Rick Merrill

Dan Shea wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:28:39 GMT, Rick Merrill
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> Under Windows XP running a custom DOS program that
>>reads the mouse and the keyboard ... Alt-Tab works but
>>PrintScreen does not work with any combination of Alt,Shift
>>and/or Control - What could be preventing a screen capture?
>>Could it be the use of dual screen (1 & 2)? - RM

> If you do a screen capture of a dual monitor desktop, it should show
> both desktops as one continuous screen. PrtScr (and Alt-PrtScr) work
> at the Windows level to capture the screen or active window. Couple
> questions:
>
> 1) Can you do PrtScr and Alt-PrtScr when you're NOT running this DOS
> program? In other words, do they EVER work?

Yes, thank you, they work well (and quickly).

> 2) Can you use Alt-PrtScr *at all* when the DOS program is running?
> E.g. start another program, make it the active window, and attempt to
> screen-capture its window. What happens?

I can do alt-tab to another program, then double click (double?) on
the DOS window and it restarts.

> I suspect that PrtScr is working at the Windows level but is disabled
> by the DOS program while you're in it. I would try using something
> like SnagIt.

I suspect SnagIt hooks the keyboard and would have the same problem.
The DOS program DOES read the keyboard at a low level
and that has got to be the problem: I'll have to do some experiments
on alternative ways to read the kbd. Thank you. - RM

Dan Shea

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:56:52 GMT, Rick Merrill
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I suspect that PrtScr is working at the Windows level but is disabled
>> by the DOS program while you're in it. I would try using something
>> like SnagIt.

>I suspect SnagIt hooks the keyboard and would have the same problem.

You're probably right. I'm thinking that if you can map the screen
capture to different key combination, it might not be disabled by the
DOS program.

> The DOS program DOES read the keyboard at a low level
>and that has got to be the problem: I'll have to do some experiments
>on alternative ways to read the kbd. Thank you. - RM

NP. Good luck.

Cheers,
dan

°Mike°

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:06:53 GMT, in
<Mbm%b.24605$AL.456916@attbi_s03>
Rick Merrill scrawled:

>°Mike° wrote:
>> I'm not sure what would be preventing it, but you could
>> try MWSnap (free).
>> http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html
>>

>MWSNAP is very cute program, but it does not capture
>a DOS window. - RM

It may not capture full-screen DOS sessions, but it
DOES capture DOS windows. I use it myself.

--

°Mike° wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:06:53 GMT, in
> <Mbm%b.24605$AL.456916@attbi_s03>
> Rick Merrill scrawled:
>

>>°Mike° wrote:
>>
>>>I'm not sure what would be preventing it, but you could
>>>try MWSnap (free).
>>>http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html
>>>

>>MWSNAP is very cute program, but it does not capture
>>a DOS window. - RM

> It may not capture full-screen DOS sessions, but it
> DOES capture DOS windows. I use it myself.

I USED to (and I want it back!) but I've no clue as to
what changed (nor when), so I'm trying to fix/unfix the
DOS screen capture 'problem' that exists on either
my computer or my DOS program. I tried the ctrl/shift/W
for NWSNAP to no avail. Could it have anything to do
with the mouse driver? - RM

°Mike°

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:04:44 GMT, in
<Mbt%b.412649$xy6.2343285@attbi_s02>
Rick Merrill scrawled:

>°Mike° wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:06:53 GMT, in
>> <Mbm%b.24605$AL.456916@attbi_s03>
>> Rick Merrill scrawled:

>>>MWSNAP is very cute program, but it does not capture
>>>a DOS window. - RM

>> It may not capture full-screen DOS sessions, but it
>> DOES capture DOS windows. I use it myself.

>I USED to (and I want it back!) but I've no clue as to
>what changed (nor when), so I'm trying to fix/unfix the
>DOS screen capture 'problem' that exists on either
>my computer or my DOS program. I tried the ctrl/shift/W
>for NWSNAP to no avail. Could it have anything to do
>with the mouse driver? - RM

Mouse driver? What DOS program are you having the
problem with, and is it running windowed?

--
Basic computer maintenance