Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Creeping mice

Creeping mice

Bob - Andover, MA

I have two USB optical mice : one is a Microsoft Wireless Optical
Blue, and the other a Logitech Wheel Mouse. I've used them both (not
at the same time), and they both exhibit the same problem:

Frequently the mouse cursor begins to creep along the screen - usually
to the upper right corner. Sometimes the creep is very slow (and hence
a mere inconvenience), while other times the creep is so fast that the
mouse becomes completely unusable.

Rebooting sometimes resets the mouse creep, but within minutes the
creep reappears. From my BIOS setup program I disabled the touchpad
device on the notebook - but the creep still occurs.

I went into the Intellipoint mouse properties utility and reran the
orientation program - but still the creep creeps in.

Both these pointing devices used to work on this system with no
problem, and had been doing so for several months.

My mouse driver is "Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (InelliPoint)"
v4.10.851.0

My system is a Dell Lattitude C610 running W2K Pro.

eric the seal

Bob - Andover, MA wrote:
:: I have two USB optical mice : one is a Microsoft Wireless Optical
:: Blue, and the other a Logitech Wheel Mouse. I've used them both (not
:: at the same time), and they both exhibit the same problem:
::
[...]

Erm, try a different mouse mat? Ideally, one designed for use with optical
mice..Yes, they do exist.

jils

this happens to me, bob, when i inadvertently chuck my cell phone on the
desk.
once it's done, i have to reboot to regain control of the mouse.
mine's a logitech marble trackman (or something like that)

could there be anything interfering with the radio signal for the mouse on
your desk?

"Bob - Andover, MA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
[...]

Having to reboot is a pain... You could buy a cheap USB mouse and just plug
that in when things go loopy.

Just an idea.. I keep one handy for when I lose control of the "normal"
mouse for some reason. Normally because I have pulled the damn lead out
moving the computer (it is on wheels and I like to dust it..)

jils wrote:
[...]

nah. after the first few times i figured out the problem and i don't put the
phone on the desk any more!!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

jils wrote:
[...]

Chris Hodges

eric the seal wrote:
> Erm, try a different mouse mat? Ideally, one designed for use with optical
> mice..Yes, they do exist.

A sheet of plain white printer paper works well for my logitech optical
(Though I actually use a plastic thing that came with a phillips webcam ATM)

--
Chris
-----

creeping consensus Roedy Green Java 6 02-26-2013 03:02 PM
Need debugging knowhow for my creeping Unicodephobia kj Python 16 02-13-2010 05:48 AM
Combating Creeping Lens Syndrome jmc Digital Photography 9 02-06-2008 11:30 AM
Logitech G5 and G7 Laser Gaming Mice at XYZ Computing Silverstrand Front Page News 0 12-02-2005 12:42 AM
Sunbeamtech Fireline and Blue Flame Optical Mice Silverstrand Front Page News 0 07-29-2005 05:32 PM

Advertisments