Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > blocking all cookies?

blocking all cookies?

miss calm

Can anyone tell me what the outcome would be if I blocked all cookies from
my pc?
thanks

°Mike°

At the very worst, some web sites might cease to function.
Generally, you might lose some functionality, like preferences
on Google, etc.

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:48:06 -0000, in
<c1g9np$ki9$(E-Mail Removed)>
miss calm scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

miss calm

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> At the very worst, some web sites might cease to function.
> Generally, you might lose some functionality, like preferences
> on Google, etc.

Thanks Mike, .

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:48:06 -0000, in
> <c1g9np$ki9$(E-Mail Removed)>
> miss calm scrawled:
>
> >Can anyone tell me what the outcome would be if I blocked all
> >cookies from my pc?
> >thanks
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

trout

miss calm wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what the outcome would be if I blocked all cookies
> from my pc?
> thanks

You need them for site where you have to log-in.
--
"Like Hotmail, or Yahoo, for example."

miss calm

news:c1gbkr$1hu60g$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> miss calm wrote:
>
> > Can anyone tell me what the outcome would be if I blocked all cookies
> > from my pc?
> > thanks

> You need them for site where you have to log-in.
> --
> "Like Hotmail, or Yahoo, for example."

Good point Trout, thanks. Pity one cannot have the choice to allow or
dissalow particular cookies.

°Mike°

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:17:44 -0000, in
<c1gbfb$g4d$(E-Mail Removed)>
miss calm scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> At the very worst, some web sites might cease to function.
>> Generally, you might lose some functionality, like preferences
>> on Google, etc.
>>

>Thanks Mike, .

You're welcome.

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:51:50 -0000, in
<c1gdfb$ndg$(E-Mail Removed)>
miss calm scrawled:

>"trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:c1gbkr$1hu60g$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> miss calm wrote:
>>
>> > Can anyone tell me what the outcome would be if I blocked all cookies
>> > from my pc?
>> > thanks

>> You need them for site where you have to log-in.
>> --
>> "Like Hotmail, or Yahoo, for example."

>Good point Trout, thanks. Pity one cannot have the choice to allow or
>dissalow particular cookies.

You can. Try CookiePal. I use it, and wouldn't be without it.
http://www.kburra.com/cpal.html

--

miss calm wrote:

> "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c1gbkr$1hu60g$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> miss calm wrote:
>>
>>> Can anyone tell me what the outcome would be if I blocked all
>>> cookies from my pc?
>>> thanks

>> You need them for site where you have to log-in.
>> --
>> "Like Hotmail, or Yahoo, for example."

> Good point Trout, thanks. Pity one cannot have the choice to allow or
> dissalow particular cookies.

You can. Either by using a cookie program, like the one Mike
mentioned, or just in OE (assuming that's what you're using).
In Internet Options, Privacy tab; you can click the Edit button and
add sites that you want to always allow (or disallow).
It *can* be tricky, though, as some sites want you to allow 'sister'
cookies. Hotmail, for example, can bugger-up if any of Hotmail, MSN or
Passport cookies are blocked.
Just for a variety of comparison; I use the free version of
WinPatrol to handle cookies, among other things:
http://www.winpatrol.com/winpatrolplus.html
--
"Whatever suits you best."

Trev

"miss calm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c1gdfb$ndg$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c1gbkr$1hu60g$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > miss calm wrote:
> >
> > > Can anyone tell me what the outcome would be if I blocked all

cookies
> > > from my pc?
> > > thanks

> > You need them for site where you have to log-in.
> > --
> > "Like Hotmail, or Yahoo, for example."

> Good point Trout, thanks. Pity one cannot have the choice to allow or
> dissalow particular cookies.

Set your privacy in IE to Prompt. It will ask for each cookie offered

miss calm

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:51:50 -0000, in
> <c1gdfb$ndg$(E-Mail Removed)>
> miss calm scrawled:
>

> >"trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:c1gbkr$1hu60g$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> >> You need them for site where you have to log-in.
> >> --
> >> "Like Hotmail, or Yahoo, for example."

> >Good point Trout, thanks. Pity one cannot have the choice to allow or
> >dissalow particular cookies.

> You can. Try CookiePal. I use it, and wouldn't be without it.
> http://www.kburra.com/cpal.html

Downloading as we speak, thanks.
btw picked this up, may interest you:

There are a couple simple things that you can do if you are using IE,
they make browsing a little more of a challenge, but they make it more
secure and still provide full ability on sites you trust:

1) Open IE, select TOOLS, Internet Options
2) Select Security TAB
3) Select "Internet" globe
4) Click DEFAULT LEVEL, then SELECT HIGH
5) Select "Custom Level"
6) Select "Scripting - Active Scripting - Prompt"
7) Click OK
Select "Trusted Sites Check Mark Circle"
9) Select "SITES", uncheck "Require Server Verification" - you will be
adding the normal and secure sites in here that you trust, if you don't
uncheck this you can't enter non-secure sites in this list.
10) Type "http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com" in the ADD box and
click ADD
11) Type "http://Windowsupdate.microsoft.com" in the ADD box and click
ADD, click OK to close window
12) Click "Default Level" then change to "Medium".
13) Select "Privacy" tab, set to MEDIUM HIGH
14) Select "General" tab, select "Temporary Internet Files - Settings"
15) Select "Every visit to the page"
16) Select 20MB for the temp internet files size, click OK
17) Select "Advanced" Tab
1 Uncheck both "Enable Install On Demand" items
19) Uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions"
20) Uncheck "Play Animations, sounds, videos in web pages"
21) Select/Check "Empty Temporary Internet file folder..."
22) Click OK to close the settings window

Now, when you browse to a trusted site, it's not going to work, you are
going to have to ADD the site to the TRUSTED SITES in the OPTIONS /
SECURITY tab. This can be a real pain, but it can save your butt when it
comes to sites that can compromise your system.

You will find that after the first week that you are not adding sites to
the list any more and that you're experience is a lot nicer, less pop-
ups, and less chance for something to hack your browser.

Don't forget, you should only ADD TRUSTED SITES to the list. Even if you
make a mistake, we set the TRUSTED SITES to MEDIUM in stead of it's
default LOW, but you really want to limit the ones you add to verifiable
commercial quality sites.