Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DOS FREEZE

DOS FREEZE

Anastasio A Rossi

If I try to boot to DOS with a Norton or WinMe CD the DOS screen comes up with 2 option: Boot from CD ROM, or Hard Drive.
Problem is, nothing works. Keyboard and mouse don't respond, and seconds tick down to zero, then machine reboots from HD

I tries re-installing WinMe, but it does not help.

It seems like a very low level problem.
Could boot record be damaged?
What might cause that?
How can this be fixed?

Dan Shackelford

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:57:53 +0000, Anastasio A Rossi wrote:

> If I try to boot to DOS with a Norton or WinMe CD the DOS screen comes up
> with 2 option: Boot from CD ROM, or Hard Drive. Problem is, nothing works.
> Keyboard and mouse don't respond, and seconds tick down to zero, then
> machine reboots from HD
>
> I tries re-installing WinMe, but it does not help.
>
> It seems like a very low level problem. Could boot record be damaged?
> What might cause that?
> How can this be fixed?

Since DOS does not support USB ... by chance do you have a USB keyboard or
mouse?

docmill

Keyboard and mouse are not supported in DOS, if they are plugged into the
USB. Didn't Dan make that clear? Your question hasn't got any further in
tha direction. Try the PS/2 connectin.

"Anastasio A Rossi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:46A%b.50292$(E-Mail Removed) om:

--
+++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Anastasio A Rossi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:R8N_b.17484$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> If I try to boot to DOS with a Norton or WinMe CD the DOS screen comes up

with 2 option: Boot from CD ROM, or Hard Drive.
> Problem is, nothing works. Keyboard and mouse don't respond, and seconds

tick down to zero, then machine reboots from HD

> I tries re-installing WinMe, but it does not help.
>
> It seems like a very low level problem.
> Could boot record be damaged?
> What might cause that?
> How can this be fixed?

USB keyboard, and "Legacy USB Support" disabled in the BIOS.

RwP

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"docmill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns949BCE5686B82nospam4docmillspamgo@216.168. 3.44...
> Keyboard and mouse are not supported in DOS, if they are plugged into the
> USB. Didn't Dan make that clear? Your question hasn't got any further in
> tha direction. Try the PS/2 connectin.

Ahem. With "Legacy USB Support" enabled, it is.

Which is good - there's "Legacy-Free" machines with NO PS/2 ports on
them out there!

RwP