Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Pound signs on keyboard?

Pound signs on keyboard?

Lisa Taylor

I am in the UK, OS is XP.
I have never been able to get the pound sign on my computer. I have just
bought a new UK Belkin wireless keyboard and that does not give me pound
signs either! The symbol is on the keyboard, but when I press it, I get a
hash sign. The hash sign gives me a slanted line - what am I doing wrong?
Help please?
Thankyou,
Lisa

*Disability is the outcome of social arrangements and practices*

Trent C

Go to the Control Panel and install a UK keyboard - from what you say it
sounds as though the system thinks you have a US one installed.

"Lisa Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:403b6d8f$0$49$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am in the UK, OS is XP.
> I have never been able to get the pound sign on my computer. I have just
> bought a new UK Belkin wireless keyboard and that does not give me pound
> signs either! The symbol is on the keyboard, but when I press it, I get a
> hash sign. The hash sign gives me a slanted line - what am I doing wrong?
> Help please?
> Thankyou,
> Lisa
>
> *Disability is the outcome of social arrangements and practices*

Yddap

In news:403b6d8f$0$49$(E-Mail Removed),
Lisa Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> opined:
> I am in the UK, OS is XP.
> I have never been able to get the pound sign on my computer. I have just
> bought a new UK Belkin wireless keyboard and that does not give me pound
> signs either! The symbol is on the keyboard, but when I press it, I get a
> hash sign. The hash sign gives me a slanted line - what am I doing wrong?
> Help please?
> Thankyou,
> Lisa
>
> *Disability is the outcome of social arrangements and practices*

set up " Languages " in Control Panel
Yddap

Alien Zord

"Lisa Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:403b6d8f$0$49$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am in the UK, OS is XP.
> I have never been able to get the pound sign on my computer. I have just
> bought a new UK Belkin wireless keyboard and that does not give me pound
> signs either! The symbol is on the keyboard, but when I press it, I get a
> hash sign. The hash sign gives me a slanted line - what am I doing wrong?

Control panel > Regional and Language Options and change every setting that
says United States to United Kingdom.

Lisa Taylor

"Alien Zord" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c1fqu5$1ibcd1$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "Lisa Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:403b6d8f$0$49$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am in the UK, OS is XP.
> > I have never been able to get the pound sign on my computer. I have just
> > bought a new UK Belkin wireless keyboard and that does not give me pound
> > signs either! The symbol is on the keyboard, but when I press it, I get

> > hash sign. The hash sign gives me a slanted line - what am I doing

wrong?

> Control panel > Regional and Language Options and change every setting

that
> says United States to United Kingdom.

Thank you for the replies.
I have done the above and it says it is already set to the English (United
Kingdom). I went to customise and it all looks very much beyond me!
What can I try now?

Lisa

eric the seal

On your normal Windows toolbar, you wouldn't have a little icon with "EN" in
it?

Lisa Taylor wrote:
:: "Alien Zord" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
:: news:c1fqu5$1ibcd1$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
::: "Lisa Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
::: news:403b6d8f$0$49$(E-Mail Removed)...
:::: I am in the UK, OS is XP.
:::: I have never been able to get the pound sign on my computer. I
:::: have just bought a new UK Belkin wireless keyboard and that does
:::: not give me pound signs either! The symbol is on the keyboard, but
:::: when I press it, I get a hash sign. The hash sign gives me a
:::: slanted line - what am I doing wrong?
::::
::: Control panel > Regional and Language Options and change every
::: setting that says United States to United Kingdom.
:::
:: Thank you for the replies.
:: I have done the above and it says it is already set to the English
:: (United Kingdom). I went to customise and it all looks very much
:: beyond me!
:: What can I try now?
::
:: Lisa

---

joevan

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:28:16 -0000, "Lisa Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am in the UK, OS is XP.
>I have never been able to get the pound sign on my computer. I have just
>bought a new UK Belkin wireless keyboard and that does not give me pound
>signs either! The symbol is on the keyboard, but when I press it, I get a
>hash sign. The hash sign gives me a slanted line - what am I doing wrong?
>Help please?
>Thankyou,
>Lisa
>
>*Disability is the outcome of social arrangements and practices*

####### # #
I get railroad tracks if I don't hit the space bar.
joevan

Lisa Taylor

"eric the seal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On your normal Windows toolbar, you wouldn't have a little icon with "EN"

in
> it?

No, I don't. I bought the computer in the USA (HP Pavilion 531W)

Lisa

Alien Zord

"Lisa Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:403b7444$0$48$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Alien Zord" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c1fqu5$1ibcd1$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > "Lisa Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:403b6d8f$0$49$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I am in the UK, OS is XP.
> > > I have never been able to get the pound sign on my computer. I have

just
> > > bought a new UK Belkin wireless keyboard and that does not give me

pound
> > > signs either! The symbol is on the keyboard, but when I press it, I

get
> > > hash sign. The hash sign gives me a slanted line - what am I doing

> wrong?
> > >

> > Control panel > Regional and Language Options and change every setting

> that
> > says United States to United Kingdom.
> >

> Thank you for the replies.
> I have done the above and it says it is already set to the English (United
> Kingdom). I went to customise and it all looks very much beyond me!
> What can I try now?

Language tab, Details button, Default input language select English (United
Kingdom), click Apply, in Installed devices, Keyboard does it show United
Kingdom? If yes and it also shows United States click United States and
click Remove. If not then Add it and remove United States.

Lisa Taylor

"Alien Zord" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c1ftea$1hqp4u$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> Language tab, Details button, Default input language select English

(United
> Kingdom), click Apply, in Installed devices, Keyboard does it show United
> Kingdom? If yes and it also shows United States click United States and
> click Remove. If not then Add it and remove United States.

YES!
Thank you SO much!

Lisa