Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > tracking co....data miner

tracking co....data miner

miss calm

what is this spyware and how is it getting into my pc? how can I find its
roots and prevent it gaining access? I have avg, firewalls, spyware.
thanks........

°Mike°

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://spybot.eon.net.au/
http://www.safer-networking.org/
SpyBot S&D guide

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Spyware Blaster
http://www.net-integration.net/tools...reblaster.html

CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html
CWS.SmartKiller
http://www.safer-networking.org/files/delcwssk.zip

If merijn.org is down, you can get new updates from
the MajorGeeks mirror (direct link):
http://makeashorterlink.com/?H24932667

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:52:21 -0000, in
<c1e76l$oh1$(E-Mail Removed)>
miss calm scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

miss calm

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Download, update and use *all* of the following:
>
> Spybot Search & Destroy
> http://spybot.eon.net.au/
> http://www.safer-networking.org/
> SpyBot S&D guide
> http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
>
> Ad-Aware
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>
> Spyware Blaster
> http://www.net-integration.net/tools...reblaster.html
>
> CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
> http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
> http://www.merijn.org/files/cwshredder.zip
> http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html
> CWS.SmartKiller
> http://www.safer-networking.org/files/delcwssk.zip
>
> If merijn.org is down, you can get new updates from
> the MajorGeeks mirror (direct link):
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?H24932667
>

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:52:21 -0000, in
> <c1e76l$oh1$(E-Mail Removed)>
> miss calm scrawled:
>
> >what is this spyware and how is it getting into my pc? how can I find its
> >roots and prevent it gaining access? I have avg, firewalls, spyware.
> >thanks........
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Hi Mike I already have most these progs but they dont stop tracking co ware
actually getting into the pc. Thats the problem, I think that they enter
through a legitimate route?

trout

miss calm wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Download, update and use *all* of the following:
>>
>> Spybot Search & Destroy
>> http://spybot.eon.net.au/
>> http://www.safer-networking.org/
>> SpyBot S&D guide
>> http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
>>
>> Ad-Aware
>> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>>
>> Spyware Blaster
>> http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
>> http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
>> http://www.net-integration.net/tools...reblaster.html
>>
>> CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
>> http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
>> http://www.merijn.org/files/cwshredder.zip
>> http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html
>> CWS.SmartKiller
>> http://www.safer-networking.org/files/delcwssk.zip
>>
>> If merijn.org is down, you can get new updates from
>> the MajorGeeks mirror (direct link):
>> http://makeashorterlink.com/?H24932667
>>

>> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:52:21 -0000, in
>> <c1e76l$oh1$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> miss calm scrawled:
>>
>>> what is this spyware and how is it getting into my pc? how can I
>>> find its roots and prevent it gaining access? I have avg,
>>> firewalls, spyware. thanks........
>>>

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

> Hi Mike I already have most these progs but they dont stop tracking
> co ware actually getting into the pc. Thats the problem, I think that
> they enter through a legitimate route?

Many know tracking cookies can be prevented if you use the
"Immunize" feature of Spybot S&D, and the SpywareBlaster program.
You should also look at the Privacy tab in Internet Options; and
make sure that third-party cookies are never accepted.
You may also consider a cookie handling program. I use the free
version of WinPatrol for this, among other things. Sniff for new cookies
at a user-determined interval, and customize an auto-kill list ('Nuts').
WinPatrol: http://www.winpatrol.com/winpatrolplus.html
--
"I hate them things."

°Mike°

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 01:55:00 -0000, in
<c1eari$8hm$(E-Mail Removed)>
miss calm scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Download, update and use *all* of the following:

<snip>

>> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:52:21 -0000, in
>> <c1e76l$oh1$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> miss calm scrawled:
>>
>> >what is this spyware and how is it getting into my pc? how can I find its
>> >roots and prevent it gaining access? I have avg, firewalls, spyware.
>> >thanks........
>> >

>Hi Mike I already have most these progs but they dont stop tracking co ware
>actually getting into the pc. Thats the problem, I think that they enter
>through a legitimate route?

That's the BIG word, isn't it; "most". I said install ALL of them.
SpywareBlaster is *designed* to prevent known ActiveX controls
from ever installing, and it's totally transparent -- you don't have
to have the program running, as all it does it to set a 'kill bit' in
the registry. SpyBot also has an 'Immunize' setting to do a
similar thing, but to a lesser degree. There is also the BHO in
SpyBot. So, as I said, install the ALL, and the next time you
post a message about "this spyware", how about naming it?

As an addendum, you should read the following:

Safe Hex
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Safe Computing Guide
http://www.trendmicro.com/pc-cillin/...afe_computing/

Protect your PC
http://support.microsoft.com/default...gb/protect.asp

Safe Computing Practice
http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/safe2000.htm

Safe Computing Practices (Safe Hex)
http://www.cknow.com/vtutor/vtsafecompute.htm

--
Basic computer maintenance

Hywel

In article <c1e76l$oh1$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> what is this spyware and how is it getting into my pc? how can I find its
> roots and prevent it gaining access? I have avg, firewalls, spyware.
> thanks........

It's a tracking cookie. I very much doubt it's doing you any harm.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://kibo.org.uk/

miss calm

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 01:55:00 -0000, in
> <c1eari$8hm$(E-Mail Removed)>
> miss calm scrawled:
>

> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Download, update and use *all* of the following:

> <snip>
>
> >> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:52:21 -0000, in
> >> <c1e76l$oh1$(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> miss calm scrawled:

its

> >Hi Mike I already have most these progs but they dont stop tracking co

ware
> >actually getting into the pc. Thats the problem, I think that they enter
> >through a legitimate route?

> That's the BIG word, isn't it; "most". I said install ALL of them.
> SpywareBlaster is *designed* to prevent known ActiveX controls
> from ever installing, and it's totally transparent -- you don't have
> to have the program running, as all it does it to set a 'kill bit' in
> the registry. SpyBot also has an 'Immunize' setting to do a
> similar thing, but to a lesser degree. There is also the BHO in
> SpyBot. So, as I said, install the ALL, and the next time you
> post a message about "this spyware", how about naming it?
>
> As an addendum, you should read the following:
>
> Safe Hex
> http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
>
> Safe Computing Guide
> http://www.trendmicro.com/pc-cillin/...afe_computing/