Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Partitioning New Hard Drive Problems.........Help Needed

Partitioning New Hard Drive Problems.........Help Needed

Yucko the Clown

Last night I installed my new 250 gig hard drive. I put it in
formatted it and reinstalled Windows XP Professional. So far
everything was looking good. Then I went to partition the hard drive
into 3 even partitions. At first I used partition magic and it came up
with an error saying "Cannot lock drive". I tried a couple times and
got the same message both times. So I decided to try it thru Windows
XP Pro and got as far as Drive Management. It said to right click on
the unallocated portion of the hard drive. But here's the problem. I
did not see any unallocated portition. All I saw was the drive I just
installed. The only thing I've installed is Windows XP Pro. Can
someone please help me out here? I'm at a stand still as fas as what
to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rifleman

"Yucko the Clown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Last night I installed my new 250 gig hard drive. I put it in
> formatted it and reinstalled Windows XP Professional. So far
> everything was looking good. Then I went to partition the hard drive
> into 3 even partitions. At first I used partition magic and it came up
> with an error saying "Cannot lock drive". I tried a couple times and
> got the same message both times. So I decided to try it thru Windows
> XP Pro and got as far as Drive Management. It said to right click on
> the unallocated portion of the hard drive. But here's the problem. I
> did not see any unallocated portition. All I saw was the drive I just
> installed. The only thing I've installed is Windows XP Pro. Can
> someone please help me out here? I'm at a stand still as fas as what
> to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You would have had the option to partition as part of the XP install
process. if you haven't installed any software or copied over any data I
suggest you re-install XP, and during the setup process, delete the
partition and create new ones.

Bob

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:14:22 +0000, Rifleman wrote:

> "Yucko the Clown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> Last night I installed my new 250 gig hard drive. I put it in
>> formatted it and reinstalled Windows XP Professional. So far
>> everything was looking good. Then I went to partition the hard drive
>> into 3 even partitions. At first I used partition magic and it came up
>> with an error saying "Cannot lock drive". I tried a couple times and
>> got the same message both times. So I decided to try it thru Windows
>> XP Pro and got as far as Drive Management. It said to right click on
>> the unallocated portion of the hard drive. But here's the problem. I
>> did not see any unallocated portition. All I saw was the drive I just
>> installed. The only thing I've installed is Windows XP Pro. Can
>> someone please help me out here? I'm at a stand still as fas as what
>> to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

> You would have had the option to partition as part of the XP install
> process. if you haven't installed any software or copied over any data I
> suggest you re-install XP, and during the setup process, delete the
> partition and create new ones.

Partition magic can't lock the ntfs. I thought there was a workaround for
that? I'd reinstall though too if it's not a hassle.
~Bob