Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > BIOS Setup Help/advice needed please

BIOS Setup Help/advice needed please

Dr Hackenbush

If you can help with this it will be greatly appreciated.
XP Home, ASUS A7S333 M/Board,. Athlon 1800XP
I am having a problem installing a second HDD and i think the problem might
lie with the Bios.
Even though i have checked the jumpers, current HDD is set to master and the
newer one to slave, as soon as i try to boot with the new second HDD in
place during power up i get a message saying it cant find boot device.
It seems as if it is ignoring the installed HDD and only seeing the new
drive and as it is not formatted etc, it cant boot

After having a look at the BIOS for the current setup this is what it says:

Primary Master CD RW
Primary Slave DVD Rom

Secondary Master HDD
Secondary Slave Auto

The order of the boot(no joke meant honest !) is as follows

1 CD-RW
2 IDE HDD
3 Floppy

I have not had any problems with this setup until now and this install of a
second HDD.

I have tried Auto and Manual settings for the new HDD but am getting
nowhere.

Any ideas as to what could be going wrong here and how to sort this out
please.

TIA

Gareth not NLL or anybody else.

"Dr Hackenbush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsmj_b.37$bJ1.21@newsfe1-win...
> If you can help with this it will be greatly appreciated.
> XP Home, ASUS A7S333 M/Board,. Athlon 1800XP
> I am having a problem installing a second HDD and i think the problem

might
> lie with the Bios.
> Even though i have checked the jumpers, current HDD is set to master and

the
> newer one to slave, as soon as i try to boot with the new second HDD in
> place during power up i get a message saying it cant find boot device.
> It seems as if it is ignoring the installed HDD and only seeing the new
> drive and as it is not formatted etc, it cant boot
>
> After having a look at the BIOS for the current setup this is what it

says:

> Primary Master CD RW
> Primary Slave DVD Rom
>
> Secondary Master HDD
> Secondary Slave Auto
>
> The order of the boot(no joke meant honest !) is as follows
>
> 1 CD-RW
> 2 IDE HDD
> 3 Floppy
>
> I have not had any problems with this setup until now and this install of

> second HDD.
>
> I have tried Auto and Manual settings for the new HDD but am getting
> nowhere.
>
> Any ideas as to what could be going wrong here and how to sort this out
> please.
>
> TIA

Have you tried setting your new drive as cable select???
Have you tried putting the hard drives on the primary IDE port??
Gaz

Dr Hackenbush

"Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:c1cgbp$1ftirm$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "Dr Hackenbush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsmj_b.37$bJ1.21@newsfe1-win...
> > If you can help with this it will be greatly appreciated.
> > XP Home, ASUS A7S333 M/Board,. Athlon 1800XP
> > I am having a problem installing a second HDD and i think the problem

> might
> > lie with the Bios.
> > Even though i have checked the jumpers, current HDD is set to master and

> the
> > newer one to slave, as soon as i try to boot with the new second HDD in
> > place during power up i get a message saying it cant find boot device.
> > It seems as if it is ignoring the installed HDD and only seeing the new
> > drive and as it is not formatted etc, it cant boot
> >
> > After having a look at the BIOS for the current setup this is what it

> says:
> >
> > Primary Master CD RW
> > Primary Slave DVD Rom
> >
> > Secondary Master HDD
> > Secondary Slave Auto
> >
> > The order of the boot(no joke meant honest !) is as follows
> >
> > 1 CD-RW
> > 2 IDE HDD
> > 3 Floppy
> >
> > I have not had any problems with this setup until now and this install

of
> > second HDD.
> >
> > I have tried Auto and Manual settings for the new HDD but am getting
> > nowhere.
> >
> > Any ideas as to what could be going wrong here and how to sort this out
> > please.
> >
> > TIA
> >

> Have you tried setting your new drive as cable select???
> Have you tried putting the hard drives on the primary IDE port??
> Gaz

Hi m8
just tried that but still the same, it ignores the installed HD and goes
straight to the new HD and asks for a boot disk.
Just wondering, the installed current HD is at the end of the cable and i
have been connecting the new one to the connector half way up the cable,
assuming thats right would it be worth switching them round

Dr Hackenbush

> "Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:c1cgbp$1ftirm$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >
> > "Dr Hackenbush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > newsmj_b.37$bJ1.21@newsfe1-win...
> > > If you can help with this it will be greatly appreciated.
> > > XP Home, ASUS A7S333 M/Board,. Athlon 1800XP
> > > I am having a problem installing a second HDD and i think the problem

> > might
> > > lie with the Bios.
> > > Even though i have checked the jumpers, current HDD is set to master

and
> > the
> > > newer one to slave, as soon as i try to boot with the new second HDD

in
> > > place during power up i get a message saying it cant find boot

device.
> > > It seems as if it is ignoring the installed HDD and only seeing the

new
> > > drive and as it is not formatted etc, it cant boot
> > >
> > > After having a look at the BIOS for the current setup this is what it

> > says:
> > >
> > > Primary Master CD RW
> > > Primary Slave DVD Rom
> > >
> > > Secondary Master HDD
> > > Secondary Slave Auto
> > >
> > > The order of the boot(no joke meant honest !) is as follows
> > >
> > > 1 CD-RW
> > > 2 IDE HDD
> > > 3 Floppy
> > >
> > > I have not had any problems with this setup until now and this install

> of
> > > second HDD.
> > >
> > > I have tried Auto and Manual settings for the new HDD but am getting
> > > nowhere.
> > >
> > > Any ideas as to what could be going wrong here and how to sort this

out
> > > please.
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >

> > Have you tried setting your new drive as cable select???
> > Have you tried putting the hard drives on the primary IDE port??
> > Gaz
> >

> Hi m8
> just tried that but still the same, it ignores the installed HD and goes
> straight to the new HD and asks for a boot disk.
> Just wondering, the installed current HD is at the end of the cable and i
> have been connecting the new one to the connector half way up the cable,
> assuming thats right would it be worth switching them round

Tried it anyway, getting desperate, it made no difference.
Had a moment of inspiration, found an old 3 gig drive with some old files on
it but no OS, set it to slave, powered up and machine detects and sees it as
slave no problem.
Starting to think that the new drive is no good. As soon as it is connected
the boot sequence has a problem finding "Primary boot drive" and goes
into"boot error non system disk, instert boot disk"
What do you think any more suggestions to try ?

TT

In the boot order sequence on that Bios screen, are there other HDD
options, like HDD 0, HDD 1...? ASUS sometimes also has BIOS settings
that specify whether SATA drives vs IDE drives are the primary channel...

Dr Hackenbush wrote:

> "Dr Hackenbush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>"Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>message news:c1cgbp$1ftirm$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>>
>>>"Dr Hackenbush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>newsmj_b.37$bJ1.21@newsfe1-win...

>>>might

> and
>
>>>the

> in

> device.

> new

>>>says:

>>of

> out

>>>Have you tried setting your new drive as cable select???
>>>Have you tried putting the hard drives on the primary IDE port??
>>>Gaz
>>>

>>Hi m8
>>just tried that but still the same, it ignores the installed HD and goes
>>straight to the new HD and asks for a boot disk.
>>Just wondering, the installed current HD is at the end of the cable and i
>>have been connecting the new one to the connector half way up the cable,
>>assuming thats right would it be worth switching them round
>>

> Tried it anyway, getting desperate, it made no difference.
> Had a moment of inspiration, found an old 3 gig drive with some old files on
> it but no OS, set it to slave, powered up and machine detects and sees it as
> slave no problem.
> Starting to think that the new drive is no good. As soon as it is connected
> the boot sequence has a problem finding "Primary boot drive" and goes
> into"boot error non system disk, instert boot disk"
> What do you think any more suggestions to try ?

Dr Hackenbush

You got me there ! I'll have a look but I dont recall seeing anything like
that
Thanks

"TT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the boot order sequence on that Bios screen, are there other HDD
> options, like HDD 0, HDD 1...? ASUS sometimes also has BIOS settings
> that specify whether SATA drives vs IDE drives are the primary channel...
>
> Dr Hackenbush wrote:
>
> > "Dr Hackenbush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> >>"Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >>message news:c1cgbp$1ftirm$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> > and

> > in

> > device.

> > new

> >>of

> > out

> >>Hi m8
> >>just tried that but still the same, it ignores the installed HD and goes
> >>straight to the new HD and asks for a boot disk.
> >>Just wondering, the installed current HD is at the end of the cable and

> >>have been connecting the new one to the connector half way up the cable,
> >>assuming thats right would it be worth switching them round
> >>

> > Tried it anyway, getting desperate, it made no difference.
> > Had a moment of inspiration, found an old 3 gig drive with some old

files on
> > it but no OS, set it to slave, powered up and machine detects and sees

it as
> > slave no problem.
> > Starting to think that the new drive is no good. As soon as it is

connected
> > the boot sequence has a problem finding "Primary boot drive" and goes
> > into"boot error non system disk, instert boot disk"
> > What do you think any more suggestions to try ?

Greyhairedoldgit

I know the feeling....have just gone through similar problems. suggest the
following - Possible problem is mix of Ultra ATA drive and older

1 - have a coffee and calm your nerves!
2 - earlier reply suggested putting HD on primary IDE, better speed if
nothing else!
3 - ignore CD's for now and concentrate on HD. Put new HD set as master on
IDE connector that is furthest from MB....no other HD at this stage, test
see if it works and boots OK, if OK, connect 2nd HD, checking jumper set for
slave. If PC fails to boot , suggest it is the problem of mixes.

> You got me there ! I'll have a look but I dont recall seeing anything like
> that
> Thanks
>
> "TT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In the boot order sequence on that Bios screen, are there other HDD
> > options, like HDD 0, HDD 1...? ASUS sometimes also has BIOS settings
> > that specify whether SATA drives vs IDE drives are the primary

channel...

> > Dr Hackenbush wrote:
> >
> > > "Dr Hackenbush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

problem

> > > and

> > > in

> > > device.

> > > new

it

install

> > > out

goes

and

cable,

> > > Tried it anyway, getting desperate, it made no difference.
> > > Had a moment of inspiration, found an old 3 gig drive with some old

> files on
> > > it but no OS, set it to slave, powered up and machine detects and sees

> it as
> > > slave no problem.
> > > Starting to think that the new drive is no good. As soon as it is

> connected
> > > the boot sequence has a problem finding "Primary boot drive" and goes
> > > into"boot error non system disk, instert boot disk"
> > > What do you think any more suggestions to try ?

Dr Hackenbush

Well, I tried all that youve suggested but still nowt, so i think its just
incompatible.
Even so the info supplied was useful for future problems that may or may not
happen !
Thanks for your help peeps

"Greyhairedoldgit" <terry.mitchell1@removemefromntlworlddotcom> wrote in
message news:RPo_b.79$bJ1.66@newsfe1-win...

BIOS setup Marker Computer Information 0 08-05-2006 01:11 PM
bios setup apps - Computer Information 4 02-27-2006 08:42 PM
Bios Setup John Chenis Computer Information 3 05-31-2004 01:58 AM