Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Intel 440BX AGPset CPU upgrade question

Intel 440BX AGPset CPU upgrade question

Tritium

T.B. wrote:
> I've got a Dell XPS R400 with a PII 400mhz and I'm looking to upgrade the
> CPU to it's maximum capacity. I'm having troubles figuring out what the
> highest megahertz speed it can handle. I do know that it is made to handle
> PIII cpu, but what speed should I buy?
>
> remove NOSPAM to reply via email
>
> thanks
>
> TB

If there is a bios update that can support the microcode
of a Pentium-III CPU, then the fastest speed would be a
600-MHz P3 Katmai running on the 100-MHz FSB. But only
some of the 440BX motherboards are capable of delivering
the Vcore for this CPU, which is slightly higher than
the P3 Katmais up to 550 MHz. HTH & GL.

Win

Ther are 2 types of P3's and one sort of celeron

BX Boards fully support 100*X
ie 500 550 600 650 700 750 etc
some can overclock to suppoer 133*X cups
ie 666 ect
If you buy a 133 CPU you should be able to run it at 100

celerons run at 66*X and newer ones are at 100*X

along time ago I went from a celeron 400 to a P3 750 and hardly notuiced the
differance
yet when I when from a old video card to a newer one I noticed a great speed
improvement.
I'd say if you play games get a graphics card

The differance of raw proccessing power does not make as much differance
unless you are useing say very large spreadsheets

"T.B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got a Dell XPS R400 with a PII 400mhz and I'm looking to upgrade the
> CPU to it's maximum capacity. I'm having troubles figuring out what the
> highest megahertz speed it can handle. I do know that it is made to

handle
> PIII cpu, but what speed should I buy?
>
> remove NOSPAM to reply via email
>
> thanks
>
> TB

Win

Opps gogot
Ring dell and find out what the fastest CPU speed the motherboard will take
and if it needs a bios upgrade to run it

http://kobe.cool.ne.jp/memoba/dell_cpu/dell_cpu_e.htm

the above link will help heaps
Sounds like you need a new Bios

"T.B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got a Dell XPS R400 with a PII 400mhz and I'm looking to upgrade the
> CPU to it's maximum capacity. I'm having troubles figuring out what the
> highest megahertz speed it can handle. I do know that it is made to

handle
> PIII cpu, but what speed should I buy?
>
> remove NOSPAM to reply via email
>
> thanks