Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Deleting downloaded newsgroup messages in OE - can't find files in XP

Deleting downloaded newsgroup messages in OE - can't find files in XP

Brad Bryant

I am having difficulty finding and deleting OE newsgroup cache files with
Windows XP.

Using my old computer (Windows 9, I could search for .dbx files and
manually delete them. This would allow all new message headers in a large
multimedia newsgroup to simply download rather than having OE automatically
load the stored headers and then replace the old ones with the new ones.

In XP, I can't find any .dbx files. And the function under
Tools/Maintenance doesn't seem to work. This problem has grown to the point
where the groups I visit most frequently won't even load, prompting the
message "An unknown error has occurred". Can anyone help me? Thanks!

eric_seal

OE > tools > options > maintenance > store folder. Will tell you where your
..dbx files are...

Hope that helps..

Brad Bryant wrote:
:: I am having difficulty finding and deleting OE newsgroup cache files
:: with Windows XP.
::
:: Using my old computer (Windows 9, I could search for .dbx files and
:: manually delete them. This would allow all new message headers in a
:: large multimedia newsgroup to simply download rather than having OE
:: automatically load the stored headers and then replace the old ones
:: with the new ones.
::
:: In XP, I can't find any .dbx files. And the function under
:: Tools/Maintenance doesn't seem to work. This problem has grown to
:: the point where the groups I visit most frequently won't even load,
:: prompting the message "An unknown error has occurred". Can anyone
:: help me? Thanks!

---

Brad Bryant

This just figures. It points to a location that doesn't even exist:

C:\Documents and Settings\Bryants\Local Settings\Application
Data\Identities\{8D32DF8B-D3B8-4783-A0C5-FE37E2FC8659}\Microsoft\Outlook
Express

There is no folder called "Local Settings" under "Bryants". How is this
possible? The downloaded headers/messages are obviously being stored
somewhere!

"eric_seal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OE > tools > options > maintenance > store folder. Will tell you where

your
> .dbx files are...
>
> Hope that helps..
>

> Brad Bryant wrote:
> :: I am having difficulty finding and deleting OE newsgroup cache files
> :: with Windows XP.
> ::
> :: Using my old computer (Windows 9, I could search for .dbx files and
> :: manually delete them. This would allow all new message headers in a
> :: large multimedia newsgroup to simply download rather than having OE
> :: automatically load the stored headers and then replace the old ones
> :: with the new ones.
> ::
> :: In XP, I can't find any .dbx files. And the function under
> :: Tools/Maintenance doesn't seem to work. This problem has grown to
> :: the point where the groups I visit most frequently won't even load,
> :: prompting the message "An unknown error has occurred". Can anyone
> :: help me? Thanks!
>

> ---

°Mike°

Check that you have 'Show hidden files and folders'
checked in Tools / Folder Options / View.

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:46:55 GMT, in
<Pbb_b.2821$(E-Mail Removed)>
Brad Bryant scrawled:

>This just figures. It points to a location that doesn't even exist:
>
>C:\Documents and Settings\Bryants\Local Settings\Application
>Data\Identities\{8D32DF8B-D3B8-4783-A0C5-FE37E2FC8659}\Microsoft\Outlook
>Express
>
>There is no folder called "Local Settings" under "Bryants". How is this
>possible? The downloaded headers/messages are obviously being stored
>somewhere!

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

trout

Brad Bryant wrote:

> I am having difficulty finding and deleting OE newsgroup cache files
> with Windows XP.
>
> Using my old computer (Windows 9, I could search for .dbx files and
> manually delete them. This would allow all new message headers in a
> large multimedia newsgroup to simply download rather than having OE
> automatically load the stored headers and then replace the old ones
> with the new ones.
>
> In XP, I can't find any .dbx files. And the function under
> Tools/Maintenance doesn't seem to work. This problem has grown to
> the point where the groups I visit most frequently won't even load,
> prompting the message "An unknown error has occurred". Can anyone
> help me? Thanks!

Just right-click the newsgroup folder on your Folder list in OE.
Select Properties; Local File; Delete.
--
"Then 'Compact'."

Brad Bryant

Oh, you da man! I loathe the steps Windows now takes to "protect us from
ourselves". I unchecked the "do not show hidden files" option on my old
computer right after I bought it, and I totally forgot to do the same for my
new PC. Thanks a bunch!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Check that you have 'Show hidden files and folders'
> checked in Tools / Folder Options / View.
>

> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:46:55 GMT, in
> <Pbb_b.2821$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Brad Bryant scrawled:
>
> >This just figures. It points to a location that doesn't even exist:
> >
> >C:\Documents and Settings\Bryants\Local Settings\Application
> >Data\Identities\{8D32DF8B-D3B8-4783-A0C5-FE37E2FC8659}\Microsoft\Outlook
> >Express
> >
> >There is no folder called "Local Settings" under "Bryants". How is this
> >possible? The downloaded headers/messages are obviously being stored
> >somewhere!

> <snip>
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance