Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Nifty (free) utility that addresses a lot of questions asked here.

Nifty (free) utility that addresses a lot of questions asked here.

Unk

I usually don't endorse programs, but this one is quite nice,

It combined the best of TweakUI, Msconfig, regedit, and a few others.

You can disable unused services, deactivate potentially dangerous or
vulnerable operating system components, and turn off automatic "call home"
features of XP, Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

Often each procedure requires multiple steps and may involve editing the
Registry or other complex tasks.

Here's a program that will make it easier for you to do these things, and it
works on Windows 9x, ME and 2000 as well as XP. Best of all, it's free,
reversable, and doesn't require being installed. Just download the zip
version, extract, and run it.

SafeXP at: http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/safexp.htm

Here's a screen shot: http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/download/safeXPscr.gif
Direct Download: http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/download/SafeXP.zip

They even have a nice codecs package.
http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/codecs.htm

Paul - xxx

Unk posted ...

> I usually don't endorse programs, but this one is quite nice,
>
> It combined the best of TweakUI, Msconfig, regedit, and a few others.
>
> You can disable unused services, deactivate potentially dangerous or
> vulnerable operating system components, and turn off automatic "call
> home" features of XP, Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer and
> Outlook Express.
>
> Often each procedure requires multiple steps and may involve editing
> the Registry or other complex tasks.
>
> Here's a program that will make it easier for you to do these things,
> and it works on Windows 9x, ME and 2000 as well as XP. Best of all,
> it's free, reversable, and doesn't require being installed. Just
> download the zip version, extract, and run it.
>
> SafeXP at: http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/safexp.htm
>
> Here's a screen shot:
> http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/download/safeXPscr.gif Direct
> Download: http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/download/SafeXP.zip
>
> They even have a nice codecs package.
> http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/codecs.htm

Have you used it much, Unk ?

I'm always a little wary of these type of 'Do everything you ever wanted'
applications. Bu tit looks reasonable so I'm gonna try it on a spare box.

--
Paul

(8(|) Homer rocks ..

Unk

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:57:34 -0000, "Paul - xxx"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Unk posted ...
>
>> I usually don't endorse programs, but this one is quite nice,
>>
>> It combined the best of TweakUI, Msconfig, regedit, and a few others.
>>
>> You can disable unused services, deactivate potentially dangerous or
>> vulnerable operating system components, and turn off automatic "call
>> home" features of XP, Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer and
>> Outlook Express.
>>
>> Often each procedure requires multiple steps and may involve editing
>> the Registry or other complex tasks.
>>
>> Here's a program that will make it easier for you to do these things,
>> and it works on Windows 9x, ME and 2000 as well as XP. Best of all,
>> it's free, reversable, and doesn't require being installed. Just
>> download the zip version, extract, and run it.
>>
>> SafeXP at: http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/safexp.htm
>>
>> Here's a screen shot:
>> http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/download/safeXPscr.gif Direct
>> Download: http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/download/SafeXP.zip
>>
>> They even have a nice codecs package.
>> http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/codecs.htm

>Have you used it much, Unk ?
>
>I'm always a little wary of these type of 'Do everything you ever wanted'
>applications. Bu tit looks reasonable so I'm gonna try it on a spare box.

Yes, I've used it. It works as advertised. The only bug I've seen is
related to Windows Media Player. After changing the "Download codecs
automatically" setting, it grayed-out the box in the WMP Tools, Options,
menu. You can still toggle it back with SafeXP, but the box remains
grayed-out.

Unk

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 05:22:24 -0500, Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Have you used it much, Unk ?
>>
>>I'm always a little wary of these type of 'Do everything you ever wanted'
>>applications. Bu tit looks reasonable so I'm gonna try it on a spare box.

>Yes, I've used it. It works as advertised. The only bug I've seen is
>related to Windows Media Player. After changing the "Download codecs
>automatically" setting, it grayed-out the box in the WMP Tools, Options,
>menu. You can still toggle it back with SafeXP, but the box remains
>grayed-out.

I fixed the gray-out problem with the Group Policy Editor.
In the Run box, type "gpedit.msc" (without the quotes)
Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Media Player,
Playback, "Prevent Codec download", reset to "Not Configured"

Paul - xxx

Unk posted ...

> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 05:22:24 -0500, Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Have you used it much, Unk ?
>>>
>>> I'm always a little wary of these type of 'Do everything you ever
>>> wanted' applications. Bu tit looks reasonable so I'm gonna try it
>>> on a spare box.

>> Yes, I've used it. It works as advertised. The only bug I've seen
>> is related to Windows Media Player. After changing the "Download
>> codecs automatically" setting, it grayed-out the box in the WMP
>> Tools, Options, menu. You can still toggle it back with SafeXP, but
>> the box remains grayed-out.
>>

> I fixed the gray-out problem with the Group Policy Editor.
> In the Run box, type "gpedit.msc" (without the quotes)
> Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Media Player,
> Playback, "Prevent Codec download", reset to "Not Configured"

Yeah .. just been trying it and found the same .. but I didn't fix it ..
thanks

--
Paul

(8(|) Homer rocks ..

Paul - xxx

Unk posted ...

> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 05:22:24 -0500, Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Have you used it much, Unk ?
>>>
>>> I'm always a little wary of these type of 'Do everything you ever
>>> wanted' applications. Bu tit looks reasonable so I'm gonna try it
>>> on a spare box.

>> Yes, I've used it. It works as advertised. The only bug I've seen
>> is related to Windows Media Player. After changing the "Download
>> codecs automatically" setting, it grayed-out the box in the WMP
>> Tools, Options, menu. You can still toggle it back with SafeXP, but
>> the box remains grayed-out.
>>

> I fixed the gray-out problem with the Group Policy Editor.
> In the Run box, type "gpedit.msc" (without the quotes)
> Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Media Player,
> Playback, "Prevent Codec download", reset to "Not Configured"

Found another, relatively innocuous, small bug.

When the Miscellaneous 'Clear Page File at Shutdown' is checked, my XP
installation takes about two minutes to shut down .. instead of about 4
seconds ..

Un-checking it restores a quick shutdown procedure.

Only small, and I guess not really a bug, just doing it's job and what the
user inputs thoroughly, but some may see it as a hindrance ..

--
Paul

(8(|) Homer rocks ..

Unk

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:41:09 -0000, "Paul - xxx"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Unk posted ...

>>> Yes, I've used it. It works as advertised. The only bug I've seen
>>> is related to Windows Media Player. After changing the "Download
>>> codecs automatically" setting, it grayed-out the box in the WMP
>>> Tools, Options, menu. You can still toggle it back with SafeXP, but
>>> the box remains grayed-out.
>>>

>> I fixed the gray-out problem with the Group Policy Editor.
>> In the Run box, type "gpedit.msc" (without the quotes)
>> Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Media Player,
>> Playback, "Prevent Codec download", reset to "Not Configured"

>Found another, relatively innocuous, small bug.
>
>When the Miscellaneous 'Clear Page File at Shutdown' is checked, my XP
>installation takes about two minutes to shut down .. instead of about 4
>seconds ..
>
>Un-checking it restores a quick shutdown procedure.
>
>Only small, and I guess not really a bug, just doing it's job and what the
>user inputs thoroughly, but some may see it as a hindrance ..

That's not a bug. That happens no matter how you set that option.
In Win XP, the Group Policy Editor has a security option to clear the
pagefile at system shutdown. The same setting also forces the hibernation
file to be wiped at shutdown.

It takes a LONG time to delete a 1.5 Gig file!! )

Paul - xxx

Unk posted ...

> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:41:09 -0000, "Paul - xxx"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Only small, and I guess not really a bug, just doing it's job and
>> what the user inputs thoroughly, but some may see it as a hindrance
>> ..

> That's not a bug. That happens no matter how you set that option.
> In Win XP, the Group Policy Editor has a security option to clear the
> pagefile at system shutdown. The same setting also forces the
> hibernation file to be wiped at shutdown.
>
> It takes a LONG time to delete a 1.5 Gig file!! )

Yeah, just been finding that out ..

As I said, not really a bug, but maybe a bit too much for a 'Safe' tweak
style utility. Some new users may not shut down and restart often enough to
associate the change with the check made in this program .. so worth
pointing out I reckon.

--
Paul

(8(|) Homer rocks ..

Unk

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:17:21 -0000, "Paul - xxx"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> That's not a bug. That happens no matter how you set that option.
>> In Win XP, the Group Policy Editor has a security option to clear the
>> pagefile at system shutdown. The same setting also forces the
>> hibernation file to be wiped at shutdown.
>>
>> It takes a LONG time to delete a 1.5 Gig file!! )

>Yeah, just been finding that out ..
>
>As I said, not really a bug, but maybe a bit too much for a 'Safe' tweak
>style utility. Some new users may not shut down and restart often enough to
>associate the change with the check made in this program .. so worth
>pointing out I reckon.

Too long even for a security wipe. You REALLY have to be paranoid to use
it. If you MUST, use "verbose.vbs" to see what Windows is doing behind
those shutdown and startup screens so you know it didn't freeze up.
Line #69 (Right side) 'Startup/Shutdown/Logon/Logoff Status Messages'

Direct: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/verbose.vbs

Gareth not NLL or anybody else.

> Found another, relatively innocuous, small bug.
>
> When the Miscellaneous 'Clear Page File at Shutdown' is checked, my XP
> installation takes about two minutes to shut down .. instead of about 4
> seconds ..
>
> Un-checking it restores a quick shutdown procedure.
>
> Only small, and I guess not really a bug, just doing it's job and what the
> user inputs thoroughly, but some may see it as a hindrance ..
>

> --
> Paul
>
> (8(|) Homer rocks ..

Thanks Paul.
I had the same problem and thought my pc had crashed.
I had just installed kaspersky antivirus and thought it might have been
something to do with that.

Thanks again Paul

Gaz