Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > firewire cable length

firewire cable length

Steve

I know with some cables like serial and others you should not exceed certain
lengths due to signal loss. Is the same true with firewire?
Also is firewire bi-directional?

ICee

Steve wrote:
> I know with some cables like serial and others you should not exceed
> certain lengths due to signal loss. Is the same true with firewire?

Yes. To achieve the max 400 Mbps speed, no more than 4.5 meters.
Lengths of up to 30 meters have been achieved by using thicker cables
and/or reducing transmission speed.

> Also is firewire bi-directional?

Yes.

More info here:
http://www.dvcentral.org/Firewire.html

Steve

Thank you very much for your prompt response!!

Steve

news(E-Mail Removed)...

Steve wrote:
> Thank you very much for your prompt response!!
>
> Steve

You're welcome.