Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Stored Internet activity

Stored Internet activity

Stuart

I have just read an article about some perv who has recently been jailed for
rape and murder, and part of the evidence against him came from his
computers hard drive. Apparently it could be shown that he had visited
certain internet sites on certain days over three years ago. I have further
read that all internet activity is stored either in hidden files or stored
on windows/system.dat and windows/user.dat

If this is the case, how can I access this information? I am not
particularly interested in deleting or removing this info, just examining
it...for instance it would be nice to no where my children go, or for that
matter where my wife goes!!

BTW..I am looking for something a bit more in depth than where the cookies
are kept and the Temporary Internet Files are kept! I am also sure that all
internet activity is kept service providers etc. This post is only concerned
with data kept locally on ones HDD

gb

"Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c18dhf$o6d$(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

> I am not
> particularly interested in deleting or removing this info, just examining
> it...for instance it would be nice to no where my children go, or for that
> matter where my wife goes!!

<snip>

Yeh, right!

trout

Stuart wrote:

> I have just read an article about some perv who has recently been
> jailed for rape and murder, and part of the evidence against him came
> from his computers hard drive. Apparently it could be shown that he
> had visited certain internet sites on certain days over three years
> ago. I have further read that all internet activity is stored either
> in hidden files or stored on windows/system.dat and windows/user.dat
>
> If this is the case, how can I access this information? I am not
> particularly interested in deleting or removing this info, just
> examining it...for instance it would be nice to no where my children
> go, or for that matter where my wife goes!!
>

> BTW..I am looking for something a bit more in depth than where the
> cookies are kept and the Temporary Internet Files are kept! I am also
> sure that all internet activity is kept service providers etc. This
> post is only concerned with data kept locally on ones HDD

Well, you shouldn't need any help with cookies or Temporary Internet
Files, as the folders are named in a pretty self-explanatory manner.
As for URLs hidden in index files; this program is designed to
remove them, but you can see what they are before/instead:
Spider: http://tinyurl.com/eoyl
--
"Interesting things."

Doulos86

"Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c18dhf$o6d$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have just read an article about some perv who has recently been jailed

for
> rape and murder, and part of the evidence against him came from his
> computers hard drive. Apparently it could be shown that he had visited
> certain internet sites on certain days over three years ago. I have

further
> read that all internet activity is stored either in hidden files or

stored
> on windows/system.dat and windows/user.dat
>
> If this is the case, how can I access this information? I am not
> particularly interested in deleting or removing this info, just examining
> it...for instance it would be nice to no where my children go, or for that
> matter where my wife goes!!
>

> BTW..I am looking for something a bit more in depth than where the cookies
> are kept and the Temporary Internet Files are kept! I am also sure that

all
> internet activity is kept service providers etc. This post is only

concerned
> with data kept locally on ones HDD

Your IP is logged at the ISP level. So you can always be tracked down the
road if the need should arise.
There is a cookie index file which logs this info. There is a program call
IL System Wiper, which I use, and this will delete this index file.

Furthermore, deleting files and other data from your hard drive does not
REMOVE it from your hard drive. It only removes the directory info.
Therefore, you can use forensics to reveal info on a hard drive that could
be 10 years old (or longer). You may be interested in purchasing a data
shredder. What this essentially does is write and re-write... over and over
and over... the area where the data to be shredded is stored. This makes it
unrecoverable. This is a software program that you can purchase, and they
are fairly inexpensive.

When disposing of an old hard drive... drill 5 or 10 holes through it with a
drill. That'll pretty much seal its fate with regard to nosy snoops after
its been discarded.

BleepingComputer.com

"Doulos86" <doulos86 AT yahoo DOT com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c18dhf$o6d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > I have just read an article about some perv who has recently been jailed

> for
> > rape and murder, and part of the evidence against him came from his
> > computers hard drive. Apparently it could be shown that he had visited
> > certain internet sites on certain days over three years ago. I have

> further
> > read that all internet activity is stored either in hidden files or

> stored
> > on windows/system.dat and windows/user.dat
> >
> > If this is the case, how can I access this information? I am not
> > particularly interested in deleting or removing this info, just

examining
> > it...for instance it would be nice to no where my children go, or for

that
> > matter where my wife goes!!
> >

> > BTW..I am looking for something a bit more in depth than where the

cookies
> > are kept and the Temporary Internet Files are kept! I am also sure that

> all
> > internet activity is kept service providers etc. This post is only

> concerned
> > with data kept locally on ones HDD
> >

> Your IP is logged at the ISP level. So you can always be tracked down the
> road if the need should arise.
> There is a cookie index file which logs this info. There is a program

call
> IL System Wiper, which I use, and this will delete this index file.
>
> Furthermore, deleting files and other data from your hard drive does not
> REMOVE it from your hard drive. It only removes the directory info.
> Therefore, you can use forensics to reveal info on a hard drive that could
> be 10 years old (or longer). You may be interested in purchasing a data
> shredder. What this essentially does is write and re-write... over and

over
> and over... the area where the data to be shredded is stored. This makes

it
> unrecoverable. This is a software program that you can purchase, and they
> are fairly inexpensive.
>
> When disposing of an old hard drive... drill 5 or 10 holes through it with

> drill. That'll pretty much seal its fate with regard to nosy snoops after
> its been discarded.

Actually with even drilling holes its still possible to retrieve data off of
it. Data wiping the hard drive, though will take a long time, is the way to
go. There are a ton of data wipers out there, even some for free, that you
can use. If your really paranoid, make sure you get one that supports U.S.
DoD 5200.28-STD which will the data 7 times in a row.

Its true that ISP's dhcp server will log the IP address given to a mac
address, its usually not the case that they log where you go to. It is
possible for them to do so, but its generally not done.

As for your cookies, you can download Galletta which can be found at
http://tinyurl.com/rt3c

This tool will read a cookie file and tell you exactly what information is
stored in there. Some pretty interesting information can be found in the
cookies.

You can examine your computers history by going into the History folder
under the users profile and running a program called pasco against the
index.dat file. This will read the entire file and tell you everywhere your
browser has been. That program can be found at http://tinyurl.com/rt3c as
well.

Hope this helps.

BleepingComputer.com
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com

The Website devoted to helping the novice computer user learn basic
concepts of computing and how to solve computing problems quickly
and easily.

vinney vinney is offline
Junior Member

Hi Stuart
I installed in my home computer ProteMac KeyBag ( protemac.com)...and now i know who, when, where did...usefull and protect my family from internet influence