Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Settings gone!

Reply
Thread Tools

Settings gone!

 
 
Mark Shaw
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2005
During a lockup-and-reset event, Mozilla (version 1.7) seems to
have lost most of my settings.

My bookmarks seem to be working, but my home page has been reset
to http://www.mozilla.org/start. Most alarming, when I open the
Mail & Newsgroups window, I get the "New Account Setup" window.
I've got tons of email messages and folders, and I don't want to
lose them!

I don't want to poke at this too much before getting some advice
on how to proceed. I can still see my default profile in the
Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles folder, and it looks okay to
me....

Thanks for any help.

--
Mark Shaw
================================================== ======================
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny....'" - Isaac Asimov
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Leonidas Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2005
Mark Shaw wrote:
> During a lockup-and-reset event, Mozilla (version 1.7) seems to
> have lost most of my settings.
>
> My bookmarks seem to be working, but my home page has been reset
> to http://www.mozilla.org/start. Most alarming, when I open the
> Mail & Newsgroups window, I get the "New Account Setup" window.
> I've got tons of email messages and folders, and I don't want to
> lose them!
>
> I don't want to poke at this too much before getting some advice
> on how to proceed. I can still see my default profile in the
> Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles folder, and it looks okay to
> me....
>
> Thanks for any help.
>


Go into the mail subfolder, and look in the account folder. There is a
file named Inbox, without extension. It is a text file, so you can open
it with a text editor. See if the mail is actually in there. If so it
can be recovered.

Lee
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark Shaw
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2005
Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Mark Shaw wrote:
> > During a lockup-and-reset event, Mozilla (version 1.7) seems to
> > have lost most of my settings.
> >
> > My bookmarks seem to be working, but my home page has been reset
> > to http://www.mozilla.org/start. Most alarming, when I open the
> > Mail & Newsgroups window, I get the "New Account Setup" window.
> > I've got tons of email messages and folders, and I don't want to
> > lose them!
> >
> > I don't want to poke at this too much before getting some advice
> > on how to proceed. I can still see my default profile in the
> > Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles folder, and it looks okay to
> > me....
> >
> > Thanks for any help.


> Go into the mail subfolder, and look in the account folder. There is a
> file named Inbox, without extension. It is a text file, so you can open
> it with a text editor. See if the mail is actually in there. If so it
> can be recovered.


I have an account folder for my work email (which I check via
POP) with 'Inbox' in it. There is no account folder for my
personal email, but there is a 'Local Folders' folder which
appears to be okay.

My personal email I check w/ IMAP. In my ImapMail folder,
there is an account folder for my personal email - and in
that folder, there is an INBOX.msf file and an INBOX.sbd
folder.

In the INBOX.sbd folder, there is an INBOX.msf file and yet
another INBOX.sbd file.

In that second INBOX.sbd there is a .msf file for my work
email.

--
Mark Shaw
================================================== ======================
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny....'" - Isaac Asimov
 
Reply With Quote
 
Leonidas Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2005
Mark Shaw wrote:
> Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Mark Shaw wrote:
>>> During a lockup-and-reset event, Mozilla (version 1.7) seems to
>>> have lost most of my settings.
>>>
>>> My bookmarks seem to be working, but my home page has been reset
>>> to http://www.mozilla.org/start. Most alarming, when I open the
>>> Mail & Newsgroups window, I get the "New Account Setup" window.
>>> I've got tons of email messages and folders, and I don't want to
>>> lose them!
>>>
>>> I don't want to poke at this too much before getting some advice
>>> on how to proceed. I can still see my default profile in the
>>> Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles folder, and it looks okay to
>>> me....
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help.

>
>> Go into the mail subfolder, and look in the account folder. There is a
>> file named Inbox, without extension. It is a text file, so you can open
>> it with a text editor. See if the mail is actually in there. If so it
>> can be recovered.

>
> I have an account folder for my work email (which I check via
> POP) with 'Inbox' in it. There is no account folder for my
> personal email, but there is a 'Local Folders' folder which
> appears to be okay.
>
> My personal email I check w/ IMAP. In my ImapMail folder,
> there is an account folder for my personal email - and in
> that folder, there is an INBOX.msf file and an INBOX.sbd
> folder.
>
> In the INBOX.sbd folder, there is an INBOX.msf file and yet
> another INBOX.sbd file.
>
> In that second INBOX.sbd there is a .msf file for my work
> email.
>


Since Imap mail is stored on the server, there is no issue with
recovering that, simply recreate the account.

For the POP account, are you using the Global Inbox feature?

Lee
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Shaw
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2005
Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Mark Shaw wrote:


Yes, of course. I wasn't thinking. That's good news, anyway;
thanks.

> For the POP account, are you using the Global Inbox feature?


Um. What's the Global Inbox Feature?

--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
================================================== ======================
"All of my mistakes are giving me ideas." - Natalie Lileks
 
Reply With Quote
 
Leonidas Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2005
Mark Shaw wrote:
> Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Mark Shaw wrote:

>
> Yes, of course. I wasn't thinking. That's good news, anyway;
> thanks.
>
>> For the POP account, are you using the Global Inbox feature?

>
> Um. What's the Global Inbox Feature?
>


Global Inbox stores all mail in a common set of folders, as Outlook
Express does. Accounts for which it is enabled store email in the Local
Folders set of folders.

Accounts for which it is disabled have a separate set of folders for
each account.

Lee
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Shaw
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2005
Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Mark Shaw wrote:
> > Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Mark Shaw wrote:

> >
> > Yes, of course. I wasn't thinking. That's good news, anyway;
> > thanks.
> >
> >> For the POP account, are you using the Global Inbox feature?

> >
> > Um. What's the Global Inbox Feature?


> Global Inbox stores all mail in a common set of folders, as Outlook
> Express does. Accounts for which it is enabled store email in the Local
> Folders set of folders.


> Accounts for which it is disabled have a separate set of folders for
> each account.


I'm not sure if it's set up that way or not. At any rate, I
only have one folder for the POP account, and since the messages
get left on the server I don't care if I lose them from this
machine.

--
Mark Shaw
================================================== ======================
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny....'" - Isaac Asimov
 
Reply With Quote
 
Leonidas Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2005
Mark Shaw wrote:
> Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Mark Shaw wrote:
>>> Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>> Mark Shaw wrote:
>>> Yes, of course. I wasn't thinking. That's good news, anyway;
>>> thanks.
>>>
>>>> For the POP account, are you using the Global Inbox feature?
>>> Um. What's the Global Inbox Feature?

>
>> Global Inbox stores all mail in a common set of folders, as Outlook
>> Express does. Accounts for which it is enabled store email in the Local
>> Folders set of folders.

>
>> Accounts for which it is disabled have a separate set of folders for
>> each account.

>
> I'm not sure if it's set up that way or not. At any rate, I
> only have one folder for the POP account, and since the messages
> get left on the server I don't care if I lose them from this
> machine.
>


Okay then, just recreate the accounts. If the POP messages are left on
the server, the new version of the account should just download them again.

Lee
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Shaw
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2005
Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Mark Shaw wrote:


> >>>> For the POP account, are you using the Global Inbox feature?
> >>> Um. What's the Global Inbox Feature?

> >
> >> Global Inbox stores all mail in a common set of folders, as Outlook
> >> Express does. Accounts for which it is enabled store email in the Local
> >> Folders set of folders.

> >
> >> Accounts for which it is disabled have a separate set of folders for
> >> each account.

> >
> > I'm not sure if it's set up that way or not. At any rate, I
> > only have one folder for the POP account, and since the messages
> > get left on the server I don't care if I lose them from this
> > machine.


> Okay then, just recreate the accounts. If the POP messages are left on
> the server, the new version of the account should just download them again.


Do I need to do anything to preserve my local mail folders?

--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
================================================== ======================
"All of my mistakes are giving me ideas." - Natalie Lileks
 
Reply With Quote
 
WSP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2005
Mark Shaw wrote:
> During a lockup-and-reset event, Mozilla (version 1.7) seems to
> have lost most of my settings.
>
> My bookmarks seem to be working, but my home page has been reset
> to http://www.mozilla.org/start. Most alarming, when I open the
> Mail & Newsgroups window, I get the "New Account Setup" window.
> I've got tons of email messages and folders, and I don't want to
> lose them!
>
> I don't want to poke at this too much before getting some advice
> on how to proceed. I can still see my default profile in the
> Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles folder, and it looks okay to
> me....
>
> Thanks for any help.
>

Just because your profile is there doesn't mean that Moz is using it.
Have you tried Tools... Switch Profiles to ensure it is using your
normal profile?
Just a thought!
WSP
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Settings.settings file with settings for multiple regions donet programmer ASP .Net 3 11-20-2009 03:05 PM
Class Library reading web.config Settings OR app.config settings leeanne ASP .Net 0 09-24-2008 05:36 PM
Can't access C\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings? ECLiPSE 2002 Computer Support 2 09-23-2008 01:32 PM
moving "my documents and settings\user\local settings\temp" FredHead Computer Support 11 01-17-2007 06:03 AM
Wanted: Help with Document settings\ServerName\ASPNET\Local settings\Temp Siegfried Heintze ASP .Net 0 10-24-2005 06:02 PM



Advertisments