Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Router problem

Router problem

John Williams

I've got a broadband connection to the internet through the Ethernet card
OK, but I can't get the router to pick up the internet connection.
I've done everything exactly as the manual said, I also rang NTL broadband
tech support and they confirmed that it was set up right, but no joy.
The router is a Netgear 4 port one.
Any ideas?

TIA

eric_seal

Hi John,

Do you mean that the router wont pick up the ADSL connection? I am assuming
so...

I assume that you can ping the router from the computer and that it is the
ADSL link that is causing problems. I also assume that you have the router
address set up as the routing address on the computer. and that any/all
firewalls are set up to allow a trusted path between computer and router.

If this is the case, then I suggest that you unplug all the other telephones
and their microfilters from any telephone sockets so that you just have the
one microfilter connected to the router. Reduce the length of line between
the microfilter and router to as short as is practical - certainly dont use
any extension cables.

If that doesn't work, come back.

Eric

"John Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5mJZb.254$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got a broadband connection to the internet through the Ethernet card
> OK, but I can't get the router to pick up the internet connection.
> I've done everything exactly as the manual said, I also rang NTL broadband
> tech support and they confirmed that it was set up right, but no joy.
> The router is a Netgear 4 port one.
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA

---

JabberSmith

"John Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5mJZb.254$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got a broadband connection to the internet through the Ethernet card
> OK, but I can't get the router to pick up the internet connection.
> I've done everything exactly as the manual said, I also rang NTL broadband
> tech support and they confirmed that it was set up right, but no joy.
> The router is a Netgear 4 port one.
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA

Do this:

- Make sure the router DHCP settings are the same as your computer.

- If the above does not work, hook up your computer, get online, then use
your network properties (via ipconfig) in the router. See if it works
then.

- Find out if your ISP needs the MAC address. If so, call em and tell em the
one for the router, or some routers allow you to clone a MAC address.

- Turn all your stuff off, un-plug. Then, in this order, plug in and power
on: Cable or DSL modem, Router, Computer.

- Turn off your modem, unplug it from power. Sleep. In the morning, plug
it back in. Sometimes (especially on DSL) the ARP table will cache (the
thing on the other end that controls your traffic) and you have to wait for
at least one refresh cycle. (Typically 20 minutes to 2 hours long). You
might not be waiting long enough.

why?

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:04:16 -0000, eric_seal wrote:

>Hi John,
>
>Do you mean that the router wont pick up the ADSL connection? I am assuming
>so...

OP said NTL broadband, AFAIK it's still cable rather than xDSL as OP
also mentioned Ethernet card.

>I assume that you can ping the router from the computer and that it is the
>ADSL link that is causing problems. I also assume that you have the router

<snip>

>Eric
>

>"John Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:5mJZb.254$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've got a broadband connection to the internet through the Ethernet card
>> OK, but I can't get the router to pick up the internet connection.
>> I've done everything exactly as the manual said, I also rang NTL broadband
>> tech support and they confirmed that it was set up right, but no joy.
>> The router is a Netgear 4 port one.
>> Any ideas?

<snip>

Me

Dan Shea

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 13:50:46 -0000, "John Williams"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've got a broadband connection to the internet through the Ethernet card
>OK, but I can't get the router to pick up the internet connection.

How do you know the router isn't picking up the internet connection?
Be specific.

Cheers,
dan

Misa Mirkovic

"John Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:5mJZb.254$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got a broadband connection to the internet through the Ethernet card
> OK, but I can't get the router to pick up the internet connection.
> I've done everything exactly as the manual said, I also rang NTL broadband
> tech support and they confirmed that it was set up right, but no joy.
> The router is a Netgear 4 port one.
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA

Sheep-Raper

2 things, depending on who your internet provider is you might have to
make the router clone the MAc address of your modem, not all ISP's
requier this. if it is this then there will be a button for it
somewhere i nthe setup. Also make sure the router is set to
automatically get an ipr from the internet service provider.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've got a broadband connection to the internet through the Ethernet card
>OK, but I can't get the router to pick up the internet connection.
>I've done everything exactly as the manual said, I also rang NTL broadband
>tech support and they confirmed that it was set up right, but no joy.
>The router is a Netgear 4 port one.
>Any ideas?
>
>TIA

why?

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 13:50:46 -0000, John Williams wrote:

>I've got a broadband connection to the internet through the Ethernet card
>OK, but I can't get the router to pick up the internet connection.
>I've done everything exactly as the manual said, I also rang NTL broadband
>tech support and they confirmed that it was set up right, but no joy.

<snip>

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://www.helmig.com/
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.../techsupp.html
http://www.broadband-help.com/cm_networking.asp
http://www.homenethelp.com/
http://www.homepcnetwork.com/

Me

John H. Guillory

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 09:28:08 -0600, "JabberSmith"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I've got a broadband connection to the internet through the Ethernet card

The above sentence sounds a bit confusing to a point. From what he's
saying, he's got either a USB Modem or Cable Modem/DSL modem that
plugs into the computer via Eithernet to a eithernet card, then
plugging the computer into the router via a second eithernet card.
Why, if there's a router envolved bother using this configuration,
unless the modem is a USB only?

>> OK, but I can't get the router to pick up the internet connection.

Why would it, if its going to the computer's NIC directly, your going
to have to bridge the connection between the two NIC's and then pass
the computer to the WAN port, before the router recognizes it. Even
then, the other poster who said "How do you know it isn't picking it
up" has a point....

>> I've done everything exactly as the manual said, I also rang NTL broadband
>> tech support and they confirmed that it was set up right, but no joy.
>> The router is a Netgear 4 port one.
>> Any ideas?

Interesting, I've never seen a cable or DSL company that recommended
going first to the computer, then having the computer feed the router
the internet access.... What type of monkeys did you say worked at
their tech. support staff?

Dan Shea

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 20:37:45 -0600, John H. Guillory
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 09:28:08 -0600, "JabberSmith"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> I've got a broadband connection to the internet through the Ethernet card

>The above sentence sounds a bit confusing to a point. From what he's
>saying, he's got either a USB Modem or Cable Modem/DSL modem that
>plugs into the computer via Eithernet to a eithernet card, then
>plugging the computer into the router via a second eithernet card.
>Why, if there's a router envolved bother using this configuration,
>unless the modem is a USB only?

One could wish the OP would post back to clarify things.

Cheers,
dan

(I figured the OP meant the broadband connection worked when s/he
tried it plugged straight in to the computer, but not when plugged
into the router. At least then the mystery would be "Why doesn't it
work", not "Why do you have such a bizarre network?")