Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Router problem

Router problem

John Williams

Hi Dan

The router is a Netgear CAble/DSL Web Safe Router Gateway RP14v2

Regards
John
"Dan Shea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:18:35 -0000, "John Williams"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi Dan
> >
> >Thanks for the reply.
> >
> >I don't know if it requires a xover cable between router and modem. The
> >manual says use the one supplied with modem which I am doing.
> >And the leads are def. in the correct ports so I don't know where to go

from
> >here!

> What model is your router? I know some Netgear routers will
> auto-sense the cable type and respond accordingly, so you prollly
> don't need a crossover cable. I'm starting to suspect faulty
> equipment. I would be tempted to try plugging in from your computer to
> the WAN port. It won't get you on the internet, but it might help to
> idenfity if the WAN port is working. Again, depending on your model,
> you mght need an xover cable.
>
> Cheers,
> dan

Dan Shea

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 07:04:27 -0000, "John Williams"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Dan
>
>The router is a Netgear CAble/DSL Web Safe Router Gateway RP14v2

See my previous response. If you're not getting the Internet light,
there's a hardware problem - either not connected right, wrong cable
type, or something physically bad with the router. You're sure you're
using the cable that was supplied with the modem to go from modem to
Internet port?

Try plugging in from your computer to the Internet port, using the
cable that came with the router, and see if you can get that Internet
light to turn on. If it lights up, you've got a bad cable. Replace
it. If it doesn't, you've got a router with a bad Internet port. Take
it back.

Cheers,
dan

John Williams

Hi Dan

I don't see why the internet light being on means that it's a bad cable.
Anyway, I did plug the cable directly from the computer to the internet port
on the router while the router was switched on and the internet light came
on. But the port light indicating a cable was attached to the modem didn't
light up. In other words the opposite problem to what I had!

After many attempts at connecting router, modem & computer using different
leads etc I now believe the problem is a loose ethernet port on the modem!!!

Everytime I have to change a lead going to the modem it doesn't connect
properly, but I don't know this for sure until I switch on the router. I
then jiggle the lead in the modem until the router recognises it, by which
time it's too late because the router has stabilsed it and I'm back where I
started.

Is this feasible or am I going mad?

Regards
John

"Dan Shea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 07:04:27 -0000, "John Williams"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi Dan
> >
> >The router is a Netgear CAble/DSL Web Safe Router Gateway RP14v2

> See my previous response. If you're not getting the Internet light,
> there's a hardware problem - either not connected right, wrong cable
> type, or something physically bad with the router. You're sure you're
> using the cable that was supplied with the modem to go from modem to
> Internet port?
>
> Try plugging in from your computer to the Internet port, using the
> cable that came with the router, and see if you can get that Internet
> light to turn on. If it lights up, you've got a bad cable. Replace
> it. If it doesn't, you've got a router with a bad Internet port. Take
> it back.
>
> Cheers,
> dan

John H. Guillory

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:54:48 GMT, Dan Shea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What model is your router? I know some Netgear routers will
>auto-sense the cable type and respond accordingly, so you prollly
>don't need a crossover cable. I'm starting to suspect faulty
>equipment. I would be tempted to try plugging in from your computer to
>the WAN port. It won't get you on the internet, but it might help to
>idenfity if the WAN port is working. Again, depending on your model,
>you mght need an xover cable.

One thought, before you ship back the Router....

Many cable modems/DSL modems if used on USB must be unplugged from the
USB Connector, powered off, then connected to Eithernet.... I think
the original poster already tested this, but just making sure the USB
cable is NOT PLUGGED IN!

Dan Shea

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:02:13 -0000, "John Williams"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Dan
>
>I don't see why the internet light being on means that it's a bad cable.
>Anyway, I did plug the cable directly from the computer to the internet port
>on the router while the router was switched on and the internet light came
>on. But the port light indicating a cable was attached to the modem didn't
>light up. In other words the opposite problem to what I had!

Good. You're narrowing things down. FWIW, I wouldn't expect the
light indicating that a cable is attached to the modem to light up --
you had just unplugged it from the router after all, right? It's
working as it should. Or am I missing something?

>After many attempts at connecting router, modem & computer using different
>leads etc I now believe the problem is a loose ethernet port on the modem!!!
>
>Everytime I have to change a lead going to the modem it doesn't connect
>properly, but I don't know this for sure until I switch on the router. I
>then jiggle the lead in the modem until the router recognises it, by which
>time it's too late because the router has stabilsed it and I'm back where I
>started.

Ummm... I would think you ought to be able to disconnect/reconnect the
modem and router at will. It usually doesn't cause problems.
However, if you've noticed this wonkiness when you're just plugged
straight into your computer as well, then it's definitely the modem.
Try plugging direct into the computer, jiggle the cable, and see what
happens. (FWIW, since you haven't reported that as being a problem, I
think the router (or the cable between router and modem) is the source
of your troubles.)

>Is this feasible or am I going mad?

The two possibilities are not mutually exclusive.

Cheers,
dan

John Williams

Finally got all lights and connections working and am at the 'Configure the
router' stage.
But I can't get it right. I have no idea why and I am washing my hands of
it.
Thanks to all who have helped. I may try again in a few days but I'm sick of
it now.
Sorry

"John H. Guillory" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:54:48 GMT, Dan Shea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >What model is your router? I know some Netgear routers will
> >auto-sense the cable type and respond accordingly, so you prollly
> >don't need a crossover cable. I'm starting to suspect faulty
> >equipment. I would be tempted to try plugging in from your computer to
> >the WAN port. It won't get you on the internet, but it might help to
> >idenfity if the WAN port is working. Again, depending on your model,
> >you mght need an xover cable.

> One thought, before you ship back the Router....
>
> Many cable modems/DSL modems if used on USB must be unplugged from the
> USB Connector, powered off, then connected to Eithernet.... I think
> the original poster already tested this, but just making sure the USB
> cable is NOT PLUGGED IN!

John Williams

****************
Success
****************

Thanks to all

Found a very useful site :-
http://www.networklab.co.uk/cmodem/

Cheers

"John Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Finally got all lights and connections working and am at the 'Configure

the
> router' stage.
> But I can't get it right. I have no idea why and I am washing my hands of
> it.
> Thanks to all who have helped. I may try again in a few days but I'm sick

of
> it now.
> Sorry
>
> "John H. Guillory" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:54:48 GMT, Dan Shea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >What model is your router? I know some Netgear routers will
> > >auto-sense the cable type and respond accordingly, so you prollly
> > >don't need a crossover cable. I'm starting to suspect faulty
> > >equipment. I would be tempted to try plugging in from your computer to
> > >the WAN port. It won't get you on the internet, but it might help to
> > >idenfity if the WAN port is working. Again, depending on your model,
> > >you mght need an xover cable.

> > One thought, before you ship back the Router....
> >
> > Many cable modems/DSL modems if used on USB must be unplugged from the
> > USB Connector, powered off, then connected to Eithernet.... I think
> > the original poster already tested this, but just making sure the USB
> > cable is NOT PLUGGED IN!

Dan Shea

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:35:25 -0000, "John Williams"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Success
>
>Thanks to all
>
>Found a very useful site :-
>http://www.networklab.co.uk/cmodem/
>
>Cheers

Awesome. Congratulation! What was the problem?

Cheers,
dan