Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Unable to download crossword puzzle from newspaper

Unable to download crossword puzzle from newspaper

nettie

I am unable to download a crossword puzzle from a newspaper. All I see is a
little X.

I went to help at that site, and it said you needed Java applet. I used to
be able to see the puzzle months ago.

Does anyone have an answer. TIA

Harrison

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:29:21 -0500, "nettie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am unable to download a crossword puzzle from a newspaper. All I see is a
>little X.
>
>I went to help at that site, and it said you needed Java applet. I used to
>be able to see the puzzle months ago.
>
>Does anyone have an answer. TIA

Then something has changed in the past few months.
What has changed?
Did you upgrade to XP? XP doesn't come with Java.
http://java-virtual-machine.net/download.html

Have you changed browsers or added any pop-up blockers or script blockers?

nettie

Thanks Harrison, I have added a Google Toolbar which also stops pop-up
blockers.
Today I downloaded Java Web Start but it didn't help so am thinking of
removing it.
I have Windows 98, Pentium 2 and I use IE 6 as my browser and have had it
for awhile.
Sorry, I do not know what a script blocker is so cannot answer that one.

<Harrison> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:29:21 -0500, "nettie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I am unable to download a crossword puzzle from a newspaper. All I see

is a
> >little X.
> >
> >I went to help at that site, and it said you needed Java applet. I used

> >be able to see the puzzle months ago.
> >
> >Does anyone have an answer. TIA

> Then something has changed in the past few months.
> What has changed?
> Did you upgrade to XP? XP doesn't come with Java.
> http://java-virtual-machine.net/download.html
>
> Have you changed browsers or added any pop-up blockers or script blockers?

Harrison

It may be the Google Toolbar, if the crossword is supposed to open in a new window.
If you click the popup blocker icon once it will switch to say "site popups allowed".
If that doesn't fix it then try resetting you IE options to their defaults. Tools>Internet Options

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:33:15 -0500, "nettie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks Harrison, I have added a Google Toolbar which also stops pop-up
>blockers.
>Today I downloaded Java Web Start but it didn't help so am thinking of
>removing it.
>I have Windows 98, Pentium 2 and I use IE 6 as my browser and have had it
>for awhile.
>Sorry, I do not know what a script blocker is so cannot answer that one.
>

><Harrison> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:29:21 -0500, "nettie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I am unable to download a crossword puzzle from a newspaper. All I see

>is a
>> >little X.
>> >
>> >I went to help at that site, and it said you needed Java applet. I used

>> >be able to see the puzzle months ago.
>> >
>> >Does anyone have an answer. TIA

>> Then something has changed in the past few months.
>> What has changed?
>> Did you upgrade to XP? XP doesn't come with Java.
>> http://java-virtual-machine.net/download.html
>>
>> Have you changed browsers or added any pop-up blockers or script blockers?

nettie

I just realized that it isn't an X but a rectangle with a square, a circle
and a
diamond enclosed where the puzzle is supposed to be.

I reset my IE options to their defaults and I allowed popups and nothing
happened.
In my Security settings under MS VM, it is checked at High Safety which
appears
to be the default.

Under Advanced MS VM only the JIT compiler for Virtual Machine enable is
checked.
The other two are blank.

The following is what I got when I tried to download the puzzle:

To solve the puzzle interactively online the crossword uses a small program
called a Java applet. It will work only on browsers that are Java-enabled --
generally speaking, these are Netscape Navigator v. 3.02 or higher, or
Internet Explorer v. 4.0 or higher.

I appreciate your help and I am learning more as I go along.

<Harrison> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It may be the Google Toolbar, if the crossword is supposed to open in a

new window.
> If you click the popup blocker icon once it will switch to say "site

popups allowed".
> If that doesn't fix it then try resetting you IE options to their

defaults. Tools>Internet Options

Before I received your last post, I removed the free Java software for the
desktop that I had downloaded earlier from Java.com as I was unable to
download the puzzle with it installed. Should I download it again?

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:27:09 -0500, "nettie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just realized that it isn't an X but a rectangle with a square, a circle
>and a
>diamond enclosed where the puzzle is supposed to be.
>
>I reset my IE options to their defaults and I allowed popups and nothing
>happened.
>In my Security settings under MS VM, it is checked at High Safety which
>appears
>to be the default.
>
>Under Advanced MS VM only the JIT compiler for Virtual Machine enable is
>checked.
>The other two are blank.
>
>The following is what I got when I tried to download the puzzle:
>
>To solve the puzzle interactively online the crossword uses a small program
>called a Java applet. It will work only on browsers that are Java-enabled --
>generally speaking, these are Netscape Navigator v. 3.02 or higher, or
>Internet Explorer v. 4.0 or higher.
>
>I appreciate your help and I am learning more as I go along.

Could you please post the URL for this puzzle page?

><Harrison> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> It may be the Google Toolbar, if the crossword is supposed to open in a

>new window.
>> If you click the popup blocker icon once it will switch to say "site

>popups allowed".
>> If that doesn't fix it then try resetting you IE options to their

>defaults. Tools>Internet Options
>
>Before I received your last post, I removed the free Java software for the
>desktop that I had downloaded earlier from Java.com as I was unable to
>download the puzzle with it installed. Should I download it again?
>

>> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:33:15 -0500, "nettie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Thanks Harrison, I have added a Google Toolbar which also stops pop-up
>> >blockers.
>> >Today I downloaded Java Web Start but it didn't help so am thinking of
>> >removing it.
>> >I have Windows 98, Pentium 2 and I use IE 6 as my browser and have had

>it
>> >for awhile.
>> >Sorry, I do not know what a script blocker is so cannot answer that one.

nettie

I just realized that it isn't an X but a rectangle with a square, a circle
and a diamond enclosed where the puzzle is supposed to be.

I reset my IE options to their defaults and I allowed popups and nothing
happened.

In my Security settings under MS VM, it is checked at High Safety which
appears to be the default.

Under Advanced MS VM only the JIT compiler for Virtual Machine enable is
checked. The other two are blank.

The following is what I got when I tried to download the puzzle:

To solve the puzzle interactively online the crossword uses a small program
called a Java applet. It will work only on browsers that are Java-enabled --
generally speaking, these are Netscape Navigator v. 3.02 or higher, or
Internet Explorer v. 4.0 or higher.

I appreciate your help and I am learning more as I go along.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:

see
> >is a

used

> >> Then something has changed in the past few months.
> >> What has changed?
> >> Did you upgrade to XP? XP doesn't come with Java.
> >> http://java-virtual-machine.net/download.html
> >>
> >> Have you changed browsers or added any pop-up blockers or script

blockers?

nettie

Here it is:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/crosswords/

--
~ Janet----It is a good day if I learned something new and I can remember
it.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:

pop-up

of

had
> >it

one.

Harrison

It's just javascript. it should load for you. Of course, you already knew that, didn't you?
Try Firefox and see what happens there.

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:37:23 -0500, "nettie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Here it is:
>http://www.theglobeandmail.com/crosswords/
>
>--
>~ Janet----It is a good day if I learned something new and I can remember
>it.
>

><Harrison> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:27:09 -0500, "nettie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I just realized that it isn't an X but a rectangle with a square, a

>circle
>> >and a
>> >diamond enclosed where the puzzle is supposed to be.
>> >
>> >I reset my IE options to their defaults and I allowed popups and nothing
>> >happened.
>> >In my Security settings under MS VM, it is checked at High Safety which
>> >appears
>> >to be the default.
>> >
>> >Under Advanced MS VM only the JIT compiler for Virtual Machine enable is
>> >checked.
>> >The other two are blank.
>> >
>> >The following is what I got when I tried to download the puzzle:
>> >
>> >To solve the puzzle interactively online the crossword uses a small

>program
>> >called a Java applet. It will work only on browsers that are

>Java-enabled --
>> >generally speaking, these are Netscape Navigator v. 3.02 or higher, or
>> >Internet Explorer v. 4.0 or higher.
>> >
>> >I appreciate your help and I am learning more as I go along.

>> Could you please post the URL for this puzzle page?
>>

>> ><Harrison> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> >new window.
>> >popups allowed".
>> >defaults. Tools>Internet Options
>> >
>> >Before I received your last post, I removed the free Java software for

>the
>> >desktop that I had downloaded earlier from Java.com as I was unable to
>> >download the puzzle with it installed. Should I download it again?

>pop-up

>of

>had
>> >it

>one.

ICee

nettie wrote:
> I just realized that it isn't an X but a rectangle with a square, a
> circle and a diamond enclosed where the puzzle is supposed to be.
>
> I reset my IE options to their defaults and I allowed popups and
> nothing happened.
>
> In my Security settings under MS VM, it is checked at High Safety
> which appears to be the default.
>
> Under Advanced MS VM only the JIT compiler for Virtual Machine enable
> is checked. The other two are blank.
>
> The following is what I got when I tried to download the puzzle:
>
> To solve the puzzle interactively online the crossword uses a small
> program called a Java applet. It will work only on browsers that are
> Java-enabled -- generally speaking, these are Netscape Navigator v.
> 3.02 or higher, or Internet Explorer v. 4.0 or higher.
>
> I appreciate your help and I am learning more as I go along.

Have you cleared the IE cache (temp internet files)? Make sure to check
"delete all offline content" when deleting temp files, and delete
cookies also. Then, try again.