Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Unable to download crossword puzzle from newspaper

Unable to download crossword puzzle from newspaper

nettie

"ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> nettie wrote:
> > I just realized that it isn't an X but a rectangle with a square, a
> > circle and a diamond enclosed where the puzzle is supposed to be.
> >
> > I reset my IE options to their defaults and I allowed popups and
> > nothing happened.
> >
> > In my Security settings under MS VM, it is checked at High Safety
> > which appears to be the default.
> >
> > Under Advanced MS VM only the JIT compiler for Virtual Machine enable
> > is checked. The other two are blank.
> >
> > The following is what I got when I tried to download the puzzle:
> >
> > To solve the puzzle interactively online the crossword uses a small
> > program called a Java applet. It will work only on browsers that are
> > Java-enabled -- generally speaking, these are Netscape Navigator v.
> > 3.02 or higher, or Internet Explorer v. 4.0 or higher.
> >
> > I appreciate your help and I am learning more as I go along.

> Have you cleared the IE cache (temp internet files)? Make sure to check
> "delete all offline content" when deleting temp files, and delete
> cookies also. Then, try again.

I'm back at it. I checked my Temporary Files in Internet Options and found
that I had over 19000 there, apparently it's not the same as when I go to
Find/Files/*.tmp and delete. I deleted the Cookies and some that I didn't
think I would need but I still have 17000. I do not where to check "delete
all offline content". I am afraid to delete all of the 17000 as I may need
many of them. Is it ok to delete the whole Temporary File??

nettie

I am back trying again. Thank you for asking others to join in. I am sorry
if I gave the impression that I was getting frustrated with others asking me
to do things that I had already tried. From that reply I have since found
out that I have not been deleting all of my temporary files. I am
frustrated, but with myself as it is obvious I have done something wrong.
I appreciate all replies and I will stick with everyone until it is sorted
out.

I still have over 17000 files in Temporary Files but am unsure if I should
delete them all in case I delete some that I need. I found out that they do
not go to the bin like the others that I delete from Find/Files/*.tmp. I
hope that you all will be able to solve this for me.

<Harrison> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have asked others to join and take offer suggestions as well.
> Don't get frustrated with others asking you to do things you've already

tried.
> Stick with us and we'll get it sorted out.
>
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:18:57 -0500, "nettie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >I downloaded Firefox and got the same results.
> >I will try again tomorrow as I have been at this all evening.
> >I really don't have a clue to what I am doing right or wrong.
> >Thanks again Harrison
> >

> ><Harrison> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> It's just javascript. it should load for you. Of course, you already

knew
> >that, didn't you?
> >> Try Firefox and see what happens there.
> >> http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

ICee

nettie wrote:
> "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> nettie wrote:
>>> I just realized that it isn't an X but a rectangle with a square, a
>>> circle and a diamond enclosed where the puzzle is supposed to be.
>>>
>>> I reset my IE options to their defaults and I allowed popups and
>>> nothing happened.
>>>
>>> In my Security settings under MS VM, it is checked at High Safety
>>> which appears to be the default.
>>>
>>> Under Advanced MS VM only the JIT compiler for Virtual Machine
>>> enable is checked. The other two are blank.
>>>
>>> The following is what I got when I tried to download the puzzle:
>>>
>>> To solve the puzzle interactively online the crossword uses a small
>>> program called a Java applet. It will work only on browsers that are
>>> Java-enabled -- generally speaking, these are Netscape Navigator v.
>>> 3.02 or higher, or Internet Explorer v. 4.0 or higher.
>>>
>>> I appreciate your help and I am learning more as I go along.

>> Have you cleared the IE cache (temp internet files)? Make sure to
>> check "delete all offline content" when deleting temp files, and
>> delete cookies also. Then, try again.
>>

> I'm back at it. I checked my Temporary Files in Internet Options and
> found that I had over 19000 there, apparently it's not the same as
> when I go to Find/Files/*.tmp and delete. I deleted the Cookies and
> some that I didn't think I would need but I still have 17000. I do
> not where to check "delete all offline content". I am afraid to
> delete all of the 17000 as I may need many of them. Is it ok to
> delete the whole Temporary File??

Right click on the IE icon on your desktop. Click on Properties, then
you should see the General tab of Internet Properties. There is a
selection for deleting cookies and to delete files. Do so. Clear the
history also. OK it, then try the web site again. All files in the
temp folder can, and should be deleted.

nettie

At this point, I am not certain. How can I find out if I still have it?
Sorry for being so dense but I know nothing about Java.

"Unknown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2p5Zb.11253$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Basic question. Do you have JAVA? MS no longer provides it.
> "nettie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:lIQYb.36312$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am unable to download a crossword puzzle from a newspaper. All I see

is a
> > little X.
> >
> > I went to help at that site, and it said you needed Java applet. I used

> > be able to see the puzzle months ago.
> >
> > Does anyone have an answer. TIA

Harrison

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:03:57 -0500, "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>nettie wrote:
>> "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Have you cleared the IE cache (temp internet files)? Make sure to
>>> check "delete all offline content" when deleting temp files, and
>>> delete cookies also. Then, try again.
>>>

>> I'm back at it. I checked my Temporary Files in Internet Options and
>> found that I had over 19000 there, apparently it's not the same as
>> when I go to Find/Files/*.tmp and delete. I deleted the Cookies and
>> some that I didn't think I would need but I still have 17000. I do
>> not where to check "delete all offline content". I am afraid to
>> delete all of the 17000 as I may need many of them. Is it ok to
>> delete the whole Temporary File??

>Right click on the IE icon on your desktop. Click on Properties, then
>you should see the General tab of Internet Properties. There is a
>selection for deleting cookies and to delete files. Do so. Clear the
>history also. OK it, then try the web site again. All files in the
>temp folder can, and should be deleted.

Nettie,
It's also a good idea to decrease the "Days to keep pages in history" down to 7 or less.
20 days is absurd.

Harrison

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:50:54 -0500, "nettie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am back trying again. Thank you for asking others to join in. I am sorry
>if I gave the impression that I was getting frustrated with others asking me
>to do things that I had already tried.

You were not giving that impression at all. In fact you've been very patient and diligent.

>From that reply I have since found
>out that I have not been deleting all of my temporary files. I am
>frustrated, but with myself as it is obvious I have done something wrong.
>I appreciate all replies and I will stick with everyone until it is sorted
>out.
>
>I still have over 17000 files in Temporary Files but am unsure if I should
>delete them all in case I delete some that I need. I found out that they do
>not go to the bin like the others that I delete from Find/Files/*.tmp. I
>hope that you all will be able to solve this for me.

Those are different from the Temporary Internet Files. ICee has posted on how to clear the Internet files.
As for the *.tmp files, it is generally OK to delete those as well.
Also, after rebooting, delete everything in C:\Windows\Temp, unless you have purposely stored something there.
Tip 1. Pressing Ctrl and A will select all files and folders in a given list.
Tip 2: Press and hold the Shift key and then hit the delete key. This will bypass the recycle bin and permanently delete
the selected files.

Harrison wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:03:57 -0500, "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> nettie wrote:
>>> "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I'm back at it. I checked my Temporary Files in Internet Options
>>> and found that I had over 19000 there, apparently it's not the same
>>> as when I go to Find/Files/*.tmp and delete. I deleted the Cookies
>>> and some that I didn't think I would need but I still have 17000.
>>> I do not where to check "delete all offline content". I am afraid
>>> to delete all of the 17000 as I may need many of them. Is it ok to
>>> delete the whole Temporary File??

>> Right click on the IE icon on your desktop. Click on Properties,
>> then you should see the General tab of Internet Properties. There
>> is a selection for deleting cookies and to delete files. Do so.
>> Clear the history also. OK it, then try the web site again. All
>> files in the temp folder can, and should be deleted.

> Nettie,
> It's also a good idea to decrease the "Days to keep pages in history"
> down to 7 or less. 20 days is absurd.

Good point, Harrison. I keep my History set at one day.

Harrison

http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.jsp

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:10:46 -0500, "nettie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>At this point, I am not certain. How can I find out if I still have it?
>Sorry for being so dense but I know nothing about Java.
>
>"Unknown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:2p5Zb.11253$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>> Basic question. Do you have JAVA? MS no longer provides it.
>> "nettie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:lIQYb.36312$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I am unable to download a crossword puzzle from a newspaper. All I see

>is a
>> > little X.
>> >
>> > I went to help at that site, and it said you needed Java applet. I used

>> > be able to see the puzzle months ago.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have an answer. TIA

nettie

Thanks Dan, here are the results which I copied and pasted so no errors.
Hope it helps.

Your browsers Java version is: 1.3 || Java enabled: Yes!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The page that referred you here was:

The number of web pages you have vistited this session in this window is: 0

The day, date, time and time zone you are in is: Thu Feb 19 14:21:08 EST
2004

"Dan Shea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:18:57 -0500, "nettie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >I downloaded Firefox and got the same results.
> >I will try again tomorrow as I have been at this all evening.
> >I really don't have a clue to what I am doing right or wrong.
> >Thanks again Harrison

> Just to recap:
>
> You're trying to access http://www.theglobeandmail.com/crosswords/.
>
> The page loads OK, but instead of the puzzle being displayed, you only
> get the square-circle-diamond image.
>
> You're running Windows 98 SE. Browser is IE 6.0, but you also tried
> Firefox and that wouldn't work either. You delete your temp files
> weekly (do you mean you go into Internet Options, and click the Delete
> Files button?).
>
> Couple questions to clarify the issue...
>
> If you go to the page, and hit Ctrl-F5, what happens?
>
> Do you see the Across and Down clues but not the puzzle graphic? Or
> no clues either?
>
> Does your browser have JavaScript enabled? Go here
> http://www.b2knet.com/ and check the results for your browser's Java
> version, and whether Java is enabled on your browser. (Under "Here we
> will list your browsers JavaScript version and if it is enabled on
> your system.", and down at the bottom, under "And lastly three simple
> ones to finalize the tests. These should work on all Java-enabled
> browsers". Let us know the results.
>
> Cheers,
> dan

Harrison

Let me qualify that link. It only tests for Sun Java.
Sorry.

here is a good one
http://www.misitio.ch/ie/ie_all/java/javatest.html

If you have Java Virtual Machine, you will see an analog clock in the first section
If you have javascript, you will see a digital clock in the second section.