Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Unable to download crossword puzzle from newspaper

Unable to download crossword puzzle from newspaper

Harrison

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:58:20 -0500, "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>nettie wrote:
>> I just realized that it isn't an X but a rectangle with a square, a
>> circle and a diamond enclosed where the puzzle is supposed to be.
>>
>> I reset my IE options to their defaults and I allowed popups and
>> nothing happened.
>>
>> In my Security settings under MS VM, it is checked at High Safety
>> which appears to be the default.
>>
>> Under Advanced MS VM only the JIT compiler for Virtual Machine enable
>> is checked. The other two are blank.
>>
>> The following is what I got when I tried to download the puzzle:
>>
>> To solve the puzzle interactively online the crossword uses a small
>> program called a Java applet. It will work only on browsers that are
>> Java-enabled -- generally speaking, these are Netscape Navigator v.
>> 3.02 or higher, or Internet Explorer v. 4.0 or higher.
>>
>> I appreciate your help and I am learning more as I go along.

>Have you cleared the IE cache (temp internet files)? Make sure to check
>"delete all offline content" when deleting temp files, and delete
>cookies also. Then, try again.

If that does it, I'm going to have to whump myself in the head
Thanks, ICee!

>> <Harrison> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> It may be the Google Toolbar, if the crossword is supposed to open
>>> in a new window. If you click the popup blocker icon once it will
>>> switch to say "site popups allowed". If that doesn't fix it then try
>>> resetting you IE options to their

>> defaults. Tools>Internet Options

ICee

Harrison wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:58:20 -0500, "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> nettie wrote:
>>> I just realized that it isn't an X but a rectangle with a square, a
>>> circle and a diamond enclosed where the puzzle is supposed to be.
>>>
>>> I reset my IE options to their defaults and I allowed popups and
>>> nothing happened.
>>>
>>> In my Security settings under MS VM, it is checked at High Safety
>>> which appears to be the default.
>>>
>>> Under Advanced MS VM only the JIT compiler for Virtual Machine
>>> enable is checked. The other two are blank.
>>>
>>> The following is what I got when I tried to download the puzzle:
>>>
>>> To solve the puzzle interactively online the crossword uses a small
>>> program called a Java applet. It will work only on browsers that are
>>> Java-enabled -- generally speaking, these are Netscape Navigator v.
>>> 3.02 or higher, or Internet Explorer v. 4.0 or higher.
>>>
>>> I appreciate your help and I am learning more as I go along.

>> Have you cleared the IE cache (temp internet files)? Make sure to
>> check "delete all offline content" when deleting temp files, and
>> delete cookies also. Then, try again.

> If that does it, I'm going to have to whump myself in the head
> Thanks, ICee!

YW. Hopefully, that's all it is.

nettie

I downloaded Firefox and got the same results.
I will try again tomorrow as I have been at this all evening.
I really don't have a clue to what I am doing right or wrong.
Thanks again Harrison

<Harrison> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's just javascript. it should load for you. Of course, you already knew

that, didn't you?
> Try Firefox and see what happens there.
> http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

nettie

Yes I delete my temp files weekly and scan disk and defrag daily.
Thanks for you input, am calling it a day.

"ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> nettie wrote:
> > I just realized that it isn't an X but a rectangle with a square, a
> > circle and a diamond enclosed where the puzzle is supposed to be.
> >
> > I reset my IE options to their defaults and I allowed popups and
> > nothing happened.
> >
> > In my Security settings under MS VM, it is checked at High Safety
> > which appears to be the default.
> >
> > Under Advanced MS VM only the JIT compiler for Virtual Machine enable
> > is checked. The other two are blank.
> >
> > The following is what I got when I tried to download the puzzle:
> >
> > To solve the puzzle interactively online the crossword uses a small
> > program called a Java applet. It will work only on browsers that are
> > Java-enabled -- generally speaking, these are Netscape Navigator v.
> > 3.02 or higher, or Internet Explorer v. 4.0 or higher.
> >
> > I appreciate your help and I am learning more as I go along.

> Have you cleared the IE cache (temp internet files)? Make sure to check
> "delete all offline content" when deleting temp files, and delete
> cookies also. Then, try again.
>
> > <Harrison> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> It may be the Google Toolbar, if the crossword is supposed to open
> >> in a new window. If you click the popup blocker icon once it will
> >> switch to say "site popups allowed". If that doesn't fix it then try
> >> resetting you IE options to their

> > defaults. Tools>Internet Options

ICee

nettie wrote:
> Yes I delete my temp files weekly and scan disk and defrag daily.
> Thanks for you input, am calling it a day.

Well, it was worth a shot. Good night.

> "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> nettie wrote:
>>> I just realized that it isn't an X but a rectangle with a square, a
>>> circle and a diamond enclosed where the puzzle is supposed to be.
>>>
>>> I reset my IE options to their defaults and I allowed popups and
>>> nothing happened.
>>>
>>> In my Security settings under MS VM, it is checked at High Safety
>>> which appears to be the default.
>>>
>>> Under Advanced MS VM only the JIT compiler for Virtual Machine
>>> enable is checked. The other two are blank.
>>>
>>> The following is what I got when I tried to download the puzzle:
>>>
>>> To solve the puzzle interactively online the crossword uses a small
>>> program called a Java applet. It will work only on browsers that are
>>> Java-enabled -- generally speaking, these are Netscape Navigator v.
>>> 3.02 or higher, or Internet Explorer v. 4.0 or higher.
>>>
>>> I appreciate your help and I am learning more as I go along.

>> Have you cleared the IE cache (temp internet files)? Make sure to
>> check "delete all offline content" when deleting temp files, and
>> delete cookies also. Then, try again.
>>
>>> <Harrison> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> defaults. Tools>Internet Options

Ned

"nettie" <(E-Mail Removed)> stated:

> Here it is:
> http://www.theglobeandmail.com/crosswords/

Do you have Sun's Java installed?

http://java.com/en/index.jsp

Dan Shea

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:18:57 -0500, "nettie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I downloaded Firefox and got the same results.
>I will try again tomorrow as I have been at this all evening.
>I really don't have a clue to what I am doing right or wrong.
>Thanks again Harrison

Just to recap:

You're trying to access http://www.theglobeandmail.com/crosswords/.

The page loads OK, but instead of the puzzle being displayed, you only
get the square-circle-diamond image.

You're running Windows 98 SE. Browser is IE 6.0, but you also tried
Firefox and that wouldn't work either. You delete your temp files
weekly (do you mean you go into Internet Options, and click the Delete
Files button?).

Couple questions to clarify the issue...

If you go to the page, and hit Ctrl-F5, what happens?

Do you see the Across and Down clues but not the puzzle graphic? Or
no clues either?

Does your browser have JavaScript enabled? Go here
http://www.b2knet.com/ and check the results for your browser's Java
version, and whether Java is enabled on your browser. (Under "Here we
will list your browsers JavaScript version and if it is enabled on
your system.", and down at the bottom, under "And lastly three simple
ones to finalize the tests. These should work on all Java-enabled
browsers". Let us know the results.

Cheers,
dan

Mike245

nettie wrote:
> I am unable to download a crossword puzzle from a newspaper. All I see is a
> little X.

Looks like they switched to java or your browser is misconfigured. Just
download Java VM from Sun here:

http://java.com/en/index.jsp

Also install a second browser (try firefox from mozilla.org its a
small download) and see how that works for you, if this doesnt work.

--
Mike
Block Banner Ads Now

Harrison

I have asked others to join and take offer suggestions as well.
Don't get frustrated with others asking you to do things you've already tried.
Stick with us and we'll get it sorted out.

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:18:57 -0500, "nettie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I downloaded Firefox and got the same results.
>I will try again tomorrow as I have been at this all evening.
>I really don't have a clue to what I am doing right or wrong.
>Thanks again Harrison
>

><Harrison> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> It's just javascript. it should load for you. Of course, you already knew

>that, didn't you?
>> Try Firefox and see what happens there.
>> http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Unknown

Basic question. Do you have JAVA? MS no longer provides it.
news:lIQYb.36312$(E-Mail Removed)...