Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Floppy runs on XP boot & computer freezes

Floppy runs on XP boot & computer freezes

Christie Wagner

Operating System Version: Windows XP SP-1
Problem Application Name & Version: Freezing - any application; floppy
runs on startup of Windows

Problem Hardware Make & Model: Mitsumi Floppy Drive

Error Messages: For Floppy - every time I boot up the computer, the floppy
runs and runs. You have to put a floppy in the drive to get it to quiet
down, but then it constantly scans the floppy and slows down the computer.
First I replaced the floppy (twice), then the floppy cable (3 times). Mind
you that this computer has all brand new parts in it - everything has been
recently replaced. I thought that Norton Auto-protect was the problem, so i
disabled that. That worked for 2 weeks but now it is doing it again. I am
going to completely uninstall Norton Systemworks to see if it goes away, but
I am not sure if that will help at all. I also did a regclean. If anyone has
any other thoughts, that would be great.

Also, if the computer is not used for a while it will freeze up while in
the screensaver or it will freeze up while opening a program. The video card
was replaced with a totally different card and the latest drivers are
installed, so I am not sure if that is related to the other problem or not.
There is a second compute rin the house that is exactly the same and it does
not have these problems. Any thoughts would be great! I have a P4 2.4 GHz
processor with an 80GB HD and 512MB RAM. Thank you!

Rifleman

"Christie Wagner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tiNYb.10227$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Operating System Version: Windows XP SP-1
> Problem Application Name & Version: Freezing - any application; floppy
> runs on startup of Windows
>
> Problem Hardware Make & Model: Mitsumi Floppy Drive
>
> Error Messages: For Floppy - every time I boot up the computer, the

floppy
> runs and runs. You have to put a floppy in the drive to get it to quiet
> down, but then it constantly scans the floppy and slows down the computer.
> First I replaced the floppy (twice), then the floppy cable (3 times). Mind
> you that this computer has all brand new parts in it -

if it's that new, do you really NEED a floppy?