Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 80mm Fan need some advice

80mm Fan need some advice

Nick

Hello All,

I need advice on grabbing a new 80mm Case fan for the front of
the computer. Previously I had a sleeve bearing fan which was a decent
fan but started making some loud noises and now I have to replace it. I
went to the local MicroCenter and purchased a Cooler Master SAF-B82 dual
ball fan and have put it in and can honestly say that it is twice as
loud as my previous fan. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what fan
I could buy from a local Compusa or from Newegg? I can tolerate noise
but to a certain point and this replacement is too loud.

Thanks,
Nick

ICee

Nick wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I need advice on grabbing a new 80mm Case fan for the front of
> the computer. Previously I had a sleeve bearing fan which was a decent
> fan but started making some loud noises and now I have to replace it.
> I went to the local MicroCenter and purchased a Cooler Master SAF-B82
> dual ball fan and have put it in and can honestly say that it is
> twice as loud as my previous fan. Does anyone have any suggestions as
> to what fan I could buy from a local Compusa or from Newegg? I can
> tolerate noise but to a certain point and this replacement is too
> loud.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

The Panasonic Panaflow 12L low noise fans are relatively quiet, 28dBA.
http://www.coolerguys.com/ProductDet...?productID=961
The quietest is the Vantec Stealth at 21 dBA.
http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/mer...duct_Code=5731

TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/34nvf

br1ght

Sleeve 'bearing' fans are generally quieter given the same RPM than ball
bearing fans. Ball bearing fans can last longer if kept clean, otherwise I
have found their life to be about the same as sleeve. Also, just because a
fan is quieter doesn't mean that it cools as well as a noisier one *and
vice-versa*. Watch check for their CFM (cubic feet per minute) rating.

I have found that the biggest noise problem with case fans is a improper
positioning. Most recently built cases give a choice of front (near the case
floor) fan and rear (mid-height) mount. While one may think putting the fan
near the case floor might help bring in cooler air (versus the rear fan
located higher), the opposite is generally true. In my experience, front
fans just bring in more dirt and thus coat the components with an layer of
dirt (insulation). Rear and side mounted fans tend to bring in much less
dirt likely because the fan(s) aren't sucking in dusty air caused because of
foot traffic, vacuuming, dusting the desk etc stirring the dust into it.
Putting the fan at the rear of the unit also makes it quieter to the
operator. So if your case has a rear fan cutout, your cheapest solution may
be to keep the fan you just bought and mount it in a quieter, cleaner
location.

If you want really quiet fan models, look at the following as both
specialize in quiet(er) cooling
http://www.endpcnoise.com
http://www.directron.com

br1ght
_____________________________
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello All,
>
> I need advice on grabbing a new 80mm Case fan for the front of
> the computer. Previously I had a sleeve bearing fan which was a decent
> fan but started making some loud noises and now I have to replace it. I
> went to the local MicroCenter and purchased a Cooler Master SAF-B82 dual
> ball fan and have put it in and can honestly say that it is twice as
> loud as my previous fan. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what fan
> I could buy from a local Compusa or from Newegg? I can tolerate noise
> but to a certain point and this replacement is too loud.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

Nick

Thanks for the info...but I'm a bit confused...the Jamicon JF0825xs1m
has an air flow of 32.52 and a dba of 27.0 and the cooler master has
32.11 and a dba of 26 but the cooler master is still louder than the
Jamicon. Oh well...I guess I will have to keep trying them out until I
find one that I like

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:28:01 -0600, "br1ght"
<nitrox_frogy[spamscrew]@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Sleeve 'bearing' fans are generally quieter given the same RPM than ball
>bearing fans. Ball bearing fans can last longer if kept clean, otherwise I
>have found their life to be about the same as sleeve. Also, just because a
>fan is quieter doesn't mean that it cools as well as a noisier one *and
>vice-versa*. Watch check for their CFM (cubic feet per minute) rating.
>
>I have found that the biggest noise problem with case fans is a improper
>positioning. Most recently built cases give a choice of front (near the case
>floor) fan and rear (mid-height) mount. While one may think putting the fan
>near the case floor might help bring in cooler air (versus the rear fan
>located higher), the opposite is generally true. In my experience, front
>fans just bring in more dirt and thus coat the components with an layer of
>dirt (insulation). Rear and side mounted fans tend to bring in much less
>dirt likely because the fan(s) aren't sucking in dusty air caused because of
>foot traffic, vacuuming, dusting the desk etc stirring the dust into it.
>Putting the fan at the rear of the unit also makes it quieter to the
>operator. So if your case has a rear fan cutout, your cheapest solution may
>be to keep the fan you just bought and mount it in a quieter, cleaner
>location.
>
>If you want really quiet fan models, look at the following as both
>specialize in quiet(er) cooling
>http://www.endpcnoise.com
>http://www.directron.com
>
>br1ght
>_____________________________
>"Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I need advice on grabbing a new 80mm Case fan for the front of
>> the computer. Previously I had a sleeve bearing fan which was a decent
>> fan but started making some loud noises and now I have to replace it. I
>> went to the local MicroCenter and purchased a Cooler Master SAF-B82 dual
>> ball fan and have put it in and can honestly say that it is twice as
>> loud as my previous fan. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what fan
>> I could buy from a local Compusa or from Newegg? I can tolerate noise
>> but to a certain point and this replacement is too loud.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Nick

Misa Mirkovic

"Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello All,
>
> I need advice on grabbing a new 80mm Case fan for the front of
> the computer. Previously I had a sleeve bearing fan which was a decent
> fan but started making some loud noises and now I have to replace it. I
> went to the local MicroCenter and purchased a Cooler Master SAF-B82 dual
> ball fan and have put it in and can honestly say that it is twice as
> loud as my previous fan. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what fan
> I could buy from a local Compusa or from Newegg? I can tolerate noise
> but to a certain point and this replacement is too loud.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

John and Pat

"Misa Mirkovic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsINZb.18757$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I need advice on grabbing a new 80mm Case fan for the front of
> > the computer. Previously I had a sleeve bearing fan which was a decent
> > fan but started making some loud noises and now I have to replace it. I
> > went to the local MicroCenter and purchased a Cooler Master SAF-B82 dual
> > ball fan and have put it in and can honestly say that it is twice as
> > loud as my previous fan. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what fan
> > I could buy from a local Compusa or from Newegg? I can tolerate noise
> > but to a certain point and this replacement is too loud.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Nick

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/00025.html

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/produc...encerfan/index.