Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Looking for "free"/"inexpensive" 32-bit BASIC compiler

Looking for "free"/"inexpensive" 32-bit BASIC compiler

Richard Owlett

Preamble:
My essential definition of "free" is as in "free speech".
The GNU definition of "free" as in "free speech" would also be nice.

Essential requirements:
A. a "sequential" as opposed to "event driven" model
I grew up under FORTRAN 7? and Dartmouth/Lawrence Livermore BASIC.
I think sequentially. VB's event driven ???? drives me up wall
B. My possible application is inherently "batch" mode.
Input data set of 4000 to 40000+ data points
Output data set from 5000-????? data points
C. *MUST* be intrinsically 32 bit

In searching the WEB I come upon XBASIC.
Is it alive and well ;?

http://www.maxreason.com/software/xbasic/xbasic05.gif
implies availability of graph plotting function.
Sample code snippet is for plotting an analytical function.

Is there provision for plotting experimental data sets?

Is there any approximation to 3D plotting?

I get the impression that XBASIC is "sequential" as opposed to
VisualBasic which is explicitly event driven?
My possible application is intrinsically "batch processing".

I'm interested in DSP "type" applications.
There are specialized languages/processors available.
*BUT* I'm interested in some prototyping work for which a variant of
BASIC would be inherently suitable.

Thank you for any comments and pointers.

Harrison

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:30:11 -0600, Richard Owlett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Preamble:
>My essential definition of "free" is as in "free speech".
>The GNU definition of "free" as in "free speech" would also be nice.
>
>Essential requirements:
> A. a "sequential" as opposed to "event driven" model
> I grew up under FORTRAN 7? and Dartmouth/Lawrence Livermore BASIC.
> I think sequentially. VB's event driven ???? drives me up wall
> B. My possible application is inherently "batch" mode.
> Input data set of 4000 to 40000+ data points
> Output data set from 5000-????? data points
> C. *MUST* be intrinsically 32 bit
>
>In searching the WEB I come upon XBASIC.
>Is it alive and well ;?
>
>http://www.maxreason.com/software/xbasic/xbasic05.gif
>implies availability of graph plotting function.
>Sample code snippet is for plotting an analytical function.
>
>Is there provision for plotting experimental data sets?
>
>Is there any approximation to 3D plotting?
>
>I get the impression that XBASIC is "sequential" as opposed to
>VisualBasic which is explicitly event driven?
>My possible application is intrinsically "batch processing".
>
>I'm interested in DSP "type" applications.
>There are specialized languages/processors available.
>*BUT* I'm interested in some prototyping work for which a variant of
>BASIC would be inherently suitable.
>
>Thank you for any comments and pointers.

I don't know squat about programming, but if I did I'd look at
http://sourceforge.net/ for free stuff.

°Mike°

XBasic - Last update : 2003-11-11
http://xbasic.sourceforge.net/

Free programming tools
http://www.freebyte.com/programming/

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:30:11 -0600, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Richard Owlett scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Richard Owlett

Harrison wrote:

> I don't know squat about programming, but if I did I'd look at
> http://sourceforge.net/ for free stuff.

Sorry but I do.
If you can identify the relevance to computers of
6J6
12AX7
5U5 ( G or GT )
CK722

I might be more polite

Richard Owlett

°Mike° wrote:

> XBasic - Last update : 2003-11-11
> http://xbasic.sourceforge.net/
>
> Free programming tools
> http://www.freebyte.com/programming/

Thank you for useful links.
I'm also looking for feed back from users of "free" BASIC's

Which should I actively pursue?

Thank you.

Richard Owlett

Richard Owlett wrote:

> Harrison wrote:
>
>> I don't know squat about programming, but if I did I'd look at
>> http://sourceforge.net/ for free stuff.

> Sorry but I do.
> If you can identify the relevance to computers of
> 6J6
> 12AX7
> 5U5 ( G or GT )

sorry that should have been *5U4*
Bet he didn't cath it ;]

> CK722
>
> I might be more polite

Harrison

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:47:50 -0600, Richard Owlett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Harrison wrote:
>
>> I don't know squat about programming, but if I did I'd look at
>> http://sourceforge.net/ for free stuff.

>Sorry but I do.
>If you can identify the relevance to computers of
>6J6
>12AX7
>5U5 ( G or GT )
>CK722
>
>I might be more polite

I truly don't give **** if you're polite or not and if I was the least bit interested in programming, I would have
learned it by now. I gave you a link which may have been helpful to you, but you seemed to have blown it off.
I have one thing left for you to blow off. Let me know when you're ready.

Sano

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:23:23 -0500, Harrison wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:47:50 -0600, Richard Owlett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Harrison wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know squat about programming, but if I did I'd look at
>>> http://sourceforge.net/ for free stuff.

>>Sorry but I do.
>>If you can identify the relevance to computers of
>>6J6
>>12AX7
>>5U5 ( G or GT )
>>CK722
>>
>>I might be more polite

> I truly don't give <snip>

You probably don't have it anyway.

Mike was right, you are an asshat.

Bye bye ...

Sano

PMFBI

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:59:32 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

> °Mike° wrote:
>
>> XBasic - Last update : 2003-11-11
>> http://xbasic.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> Free programming tools
>> http://www.freebyte.com/programming/
>>

> Thank you for useful links.
> I'm also looking for feed back from users of "free" BASIC's
>
> Which should I actively pursue?
>
> Thank you.

My 2 cents-

Not what you're looking for, it's about cluster computing. But there are
some archives; and the folks that participate may well have the info you
pursue.

°Mike°

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:59:32 -0600, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Richard Owlett scrawled:

>°Mike° wrote:
>
>> XBasic - Last update : 2003-11-11
>> http://xbasic.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> Free programming tools
>> http://www.freebyte.com/programming/
>>

>Thank you for useful links.
>I'm also looking for feed back from users of "free" BASIC's

You might get better luck asking in a programming group.

>Which should I actively pursue?

I have no idea.

>Thank you.

You're welcome.