Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > hd partition won't stay formatted

hd partition won't stay formatted

American Pi

I have a 1GB partition on a 50GB hd (WinXP ) that I recently created.
Initially, I created it as FAT and later corrected myself by reformatting
it FAT32. After rebooting, on two occasions now, I've discovered that the
partition was reporting itself as being unformatted.

The partition was created using Pro Microsoft Management Console in Win XP
Pro.

I've thoroughly tested the hd using software on the manufacturer's website
and it appears to be in good shape.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or could try?

Fortunately, I haven't lost any data, but I'd like to have access to this
GB of space, if possible.

Thanks.

Unknown

Why FAT32? Why not NTFS?
"American Pi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9492478BB9152emailemailnot@140.99.99.130.. .
> I have a 1GB partition on a 50GB hd (WinXP ) that I recently created.
> Initially, I created it as FAT and later corrected myself by reformatting
> it FAT32. After rebooting, on two occasions now, I've discovered that the
> partition was reporting itself as being unformatted.
>
> The partition was created using Pro Microsoft Management Console in Win XP
> Pro.
>
> I've thoroughly tested the hd using software on the manufacturer's website
> and it appears to be in good shape.
>
> Is there something I'm doing wrong or could try?
>
> Fortunately, I haven't lost any data, but I'd like to have access to this
> GB of space, if possible.
>
> Thanks.

American Pi

I had hoped to be able to access it from both Linux and WinXP OS's which
are co-resident on a dual booting machine. I'll give NTFS a shot.

Meanwhile, any other thoughts as to why a partition might not stay
formatted? I've searched google and haven't found a similar scenario.

"Unknown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:NhqYb.9428$(E-Mail Removed) :

> Why FAT32? Why not NTFS?
> "American Pi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9492478BB9152emailemailnot@140.99.99.130.. .
>> I have a 1GB partition on a 50GB hd (WinXP ) that I recently created.
>> Initially, I created it as FAT and later corrected myself by
>> reformatting it FAT32. After rebooting, on two occasions now, I've
>> discovered that the partition was reporting itself as being
>> unformatted.
>>
>> The partition was created using Pro Microsoft Management Console in
>> Win XP Pro.
>>
>> I've thoroughly tested the hd using software on the manufacturer's
>> website and it appears to be in good shape.
>>
>> Is there something I'm doing wrong or could try?
>>
>> Fortunately, I haven't lost any data, but I'd like to have access to
>> this GB of space, if possible.
>>
>> Thanks.

Misa Mirkovic

news:Xns9492B88952771emailemailnot@24.168.128.78.. .