Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Looking for a simple freeware database for magazine collection.

Looking for a simple freeware database for magazine collection.

Doug_Sanders

I would like to keep a database of articles in a wide variety of magazines I
subscribe to.
I can find DB programs for everything but magazines.
Is the a simple and free DB program that will allow me to use it for this
purpose.
I looked at DBs used for collections of DVDs, Videos, etc but most are hardwired
for their intended purpose.
I just need a few fields that can be searched and hopefully printed.

°Mike°

Have you considered Open Office?
http://www.openoffice.org/

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:14:33 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Doug_Sanders scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

DC

°Mike° wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:14:33 GMT, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Doug_Sanders scrawled:

>>I would like to keep a database of articles in a wide variety of magazines I
>>subscribe to.
>>I can find DB programs for everything but magazines.
>>Is the a simple and free DB program that will allow me to use it for this
>>purpose.
>>I looked at DBs used for collections of DVDs, Videos, etc but most are hardwired
>>for their intended purpose.
>>I just need a few fields that can be searched and hopefully printed.

> Have you considered Open Office?
> http://www.openoffice.org/

OOo doesn't do DB, °Mike°.

--
DC Registered Linux User #1000111011000111001

JWooden271

It does a spreadsheet though. WHich may be just as good in his case.

DC wrote:

> OOo doesn't do DB, °Mike°.

°Mike°

On 16 Feb 2004 18:26:42 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
DC scrawled:

>°Mike° wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:14:33 GMT, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Doug_Sanders scrawled:

>>>I would like to keep a database of articles in a wide variety of magazines I
>>>subscribe to.
>>>I can find DB programs for everything but magazines.
>>>Is the a simple and free DB program that will allow me to use it for this
>>>purpose.
>>>I looked at DBs used for collections of DVDs, Videos, etc but most are hardwired
>>>for their intended purpose.
>>>I just need a few fields that can be searched and hopefully printed.

>> Have you considered Open Office?
>> http://www.openoffice.org/

>OOo doesn't do DB, °Mike°.

8.1. Is there database support in OpenOffice.org?
http://www.bytebot.net/openoffice/faq.html#Database0

"Yes, there most certainly is! There are several useful resources
that will help you get going:
OpenOffice.org DBA Project - The official site, with useful FAQs
and HOWTO guides to set you on the right track.
OpenOffice.org, unixODBC and MySQL - a great guide, tailored
to Red Hat 9 mainly, but excellent when it comes to OOo
integration with MySQL. Comes with screenshots too!"

--
Basic computer maintenance

Blinky the Shark

Doug_Sanders wrote:

> I would like to keep a database of articles in a wide variety of magazines I
> subscribe to.
> I can find DB programs for everything but magazines.
> Is the a simple and free DB program that will allow me to use it for this
> purpose.
> I looked at DBs used for collections of DVDs, Videos, etc but most are hardwired
> for their intended purpose.
> I just need a few fields that can be searched and hopefully printed.

Google for thingventory. IIRC, you can roll your own, with that. And
yes, it's a database, not a lame spreadsheet workaround.

(Also IIRC, it comes with some prebuilt templates, but you don't have to use
them.)

--
Blinky Linux RU 4892F
http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org