Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard Drive Problems

Hard Drive Problems

rfdjr1@optonline.com

Okay, I've posted before about this, but I was trying something
different and found a few things outs.

The Western Digital 80Gb drive I thought I'd lost the four partitions
on, seems to have the partitions. I can hook it up as the master boot
drive in my new system and it boots to Windows 98SE, which is the O/S
on the drive.So far so good. The partitions are there a is all my
data. For small files, I can copy them to 3-1/2 floppies and set them
aside to transfer to my new system.

But I have large files and folders I want to transfer, and the onl way
I can see to do that is burn them to CD's. I hooked the 80Gb drive up
as the boot drive, end of the IDE cable, pinned as master. I set my
CDRW drive to slave, and put it on the same IDE cable as the HD, in
the middle of the cable. The new motherboard does not have a secondary
IDE cable, just the one. The hard drive in the new system is S-ATA.

When I hook up as above, Windows 98SE launches, but does not find the
CD drive, so my idea of burning disks to transfer the files is down
the tubes. Any idea why the CD wasn't recognized by Windows 98?

And I still can't figure a way to hook the 80Gb drive up as a slave
and run it with the S-ATA drive as the master boot to Windows XP Pro.
It just don't want to do it. I've tried different jumper settings,
hooked it at the end and middle of the IDE ribbon, nada.Still looking
for any help. I've learned that the tech agents as these manufacturers
aren't worth squat for the most part. I get better help here. Thanks.

Harrison

What is the make/model of the new system or motherboard?
There is no reason that the old drive should not be configurable as a second drive on the new system, and then the files
can be transferred from the XP boot.

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:51:31 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Okay, I've posted before about this, but I was trying something
>different and found a few things outs.
>
>The Western Digital 80Gb drive I thought I'd lost the four partitions
>on, seems to have the partitions. I can hook it up as the master boot
>drive in my new system and it boots to Windows 98SE, which is the O/S
>on the drive.So far so good. The partitions are there a is all my
>data. For small files, I can copy them to 3-1/2 floppies and set them
>aside to transfer to my new system.
>
>But I have large files and folders I want to transfer, and the onl way
>I can see to do that is burn them to CD's. I hooked the 80Gb drive up
>as the boot drive, end of the IDE cable, pinned as master. I set my
>CDRW drive to slave, and put it on the same IDE cable as the HD, in
>the middle of the cable. The new motherboard does not have a secondary
>IDE cable, just the one. The hard drive in the new system is S-ATA.
>
>When I hook up as above, Windows 98SE launches, but does not find the
>CD drive, so my idea of burning disks to transfer the files is down
>the tubes. Any idea why the CD wasn't recognized by Windows 98?
>
>And I still can't figure a way to hook the 80Gb drive up as a slave
>and run it with the S-ATA drive as the master boot to Windows XP Pro.
>It just don't want to do it. I've tried different jumper settings,
>hooked it at the end and middle of the IDE ribbon, nada.Still looking
>for any help. I've learned that the tech agents as these manufacturers
>aren't worth squat for the most part. I get better help here. Thanks.

rfdjr1@optonline.com

I put the system together myself so there's no brand name here. But
it's an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe motherboard, Pentium 4 3.2Ghz processor,
800 fsb, 1Gb 3200 DDR RAM, and a Western Digital 120Gb Serial ATA hard
drive. I'm running Windows XP Professional. The drive is partitioned
into 2 equal parts, NTFS. The old drive is 80Gb Western Digital,
partitioned into four equal parts, FAT32. Maybe Windows XP just
doesn't play nice with FAT32?

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:55:59 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I put the system together myself so there's no brand name here. But
>it's an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe motherboard, Pentium 4 3.2Ghz processor,
>800 fsb, 1Gb 3200 DDR RAM, and a Western Digital 120Gb Serial ATA hard
>drive. I'm running Windows XP Professional. The drive is partitioned
>into 2 equal parts, NTFS. The old drive is 80Gb Western Digital,
>partitioned into four equal parts, FAT32. Maybe Windows XP just
>doesn't play nice with FAT32?

No. XP and FAT32 get along just fine together.
Your board has two IDE connectors, plus two SATA connectors.
Jumper the old drive as a master and connect it to the black IDE port on the board.
The default BIOS settings should allow the drive to be seen under Windows XP.
See pages 2-24 and 4-10 of the IDE controller settings and make sure yours is set up correctly as shown in section
4-3.6. Make sure the BIOS sees both drives. Set your boot priorities to have the SATA drive be the primary boot device
(page 4-32).
Boot into Windows XP and the old drive should be in disk manager (right click My Computer and choose Manage ...under
Storage, see disk management).

>>What is the make/model of the new system or motherboard?
>>There is no reason that the old drive should not be configurable as a second drive on the new system, and then the files
>>can be transferred from the XP boot.
>>
>>On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:51:31 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>Okay, I've posted before about this, but I was trying something
>>>different and found a few things outs.
>>>
>>>The Western Digital 80Gb drive I thought I'd lost the four partitions
>>>on, seems to have the partitions. I can hook it up as the master boot
>>>drive in my new system and it boots to Windows 98SE, which is the O/S
>>>on the drive.So far so good. The partitions are there a is all my
>>>data. For small files, I can copy them to 3-1/2 floppies and set them
>>>aside to transfer to my new system.
>>>
>>>But I have large files and folders I want to transfer, and the onl way
>>>I can see to do that is burn them to CD's. I hooked the 80Gb drive up
>>>as the boot drive, end of the IDE cable, pinned as master. I set my
>>>CDRW drive to slave, and put it on the same IDE cable as the HD, in
>>>the middle of the cable. The new motherboard does not have a secondary
>>>IDE cable, just the one. The hard drive in the new system is S-ATA.
>>>
>>>When I hook up as above, Windows 98SE launches, but does not find the
>>>CD drive, so my idea of burning disks to transfer the files is down
>>>the tubes. Any idea why the CD wasn't recognized by Windows 98?
>>>
>>>And I still can't figure a way to hook the 80Gb drive up as a slave
>>>and run it with the S-ATA drive as the master boot to Windows XP Pro.
>>>It just don't want to do it. I've tried different jumper settings,
>>>hooked it at the end and middle of the IDE ribbon, nada.Still looking
>>>for any help. I've learned that the tech agents as these manufacturers
>>>aren't worth squat for the most part. I get better help here. Thanks.

rfdjr1@optonline.com

From what I can see there's only one IDE connector, except for the one
for the floppy drive. Am I missing something when you say the board
has two IDE connectors? I've tried to jumper the old drive as a
master, at the end of the one IDE cable, but when it boots to Windows
98SE, I don't see the S-ATA drive at all in Windows Explorer.

>>I put the system together myself so there's no brand name here. But
>>it's an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe motherboard, Pentium 4 3.2Ghz processor,
>>800 fsb, 1Gb 3200 DDR RAM, and a Western Digital 120Gb Serial ATA hard
>>drive. I'm running Windows XP Professional. The drive is partitioned
>>into 2 equal parts, NTFS. The old drive is 80Gb Western Digital,
>>partitioned into four equal parts, FAT32. Maybe Windows XP just
>>doesn't play nice with FAT32?

>No. XP and FAT32 get along just fine together.
>Your board has two IDE connectors, plus two SATA connectors.
>Jumper the old drive as a master and connect it to the black IDE port on the board.
>The default BIOS settings should allow the drive to be seen under Windows XP.
>See pages 2-24 and 4-10 of the IDE controller settings and make sure yours is set up correctly as shown in section
>4-3.6. Make sure the BIOS sees both drives. Set your boot priorities to have the SATA drive be the primary boot device
>(page 4-32).
>Boot into Windows XP and the old drive should be in disk manager (right click My Computer and choose Manage ...under
>Storage, see disk management).
>

>>>What is the make/model of the new system or motherboard?
>>>There is no reason that the old drive should not be configurable as a second drive on the new system, and then the files
>>>can be transferred from the XP boot.

ICee

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> From what I can see there's only one IDE connector, except for the one
> for the floppy drive. Am I missing something when you say the board
> has two IDE connectors? I've tried to jumper the old drive as a
> master, at the end of the one IDE cable, but when it boots to Windows
> 98SE, I don't see the S-ATA drive at all in Windows Explorer.

[snip]

There are two IDE connectors: the blue one and the black one. The blue
connector is in front of the ATX power connector, and the black one is
next to the floppy connector, closest to the memory slots.
You do have the P4C800 Deluxe MB, correct?

Ghostrider

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> From what I can see there's only one IDE connector, except for the one
> for the floppy drive. Am I missing something when you say the board
> has two IDE connectors? I've tried to jumper the old drive as a
> master, at the end of the one IDE cable, but when it boots to Windows
> 98SE, I don't see the S-ATA drive at all in Windows Explorer.

Don't really understand why or how you get involved with a S-ATA
configuration for such an easy setup. There are 2 on-board IDE
connectors on the P4C800E-Deluxe motherboard, good enough for a
total of 4 IDE devices, regardless of whether the boot up is from
Windows 98 or Windows XP. However, with Windows XP on the S-ATA
drive, this can be the only boot drive that will recognize the
single S-ATA (non-RAID) connector and the 2 IDE connectors. If
booting from the Windows 98 hard drive, then only 1 IDE connector
and the S-ATA connector are usable. This was explained by both
Harrison in this thread and Mistoffolees in your other thread.

rfdjr1@optonline.com

Thanks much for that information. I've read the manual sections you
referred to, and checked in the BIOS to see where the settings change,
but I have to admit to not fully grasping what I'm supposed to do.
Since you seem to have an understanding of this, any chance you could
tell me the proper way to hook up the old drive and which
configuration I need to use. The way I read the manual, and by process
of elimination, the S-ATA drive stay as is, as a primary (boot)
drive. The old FAT32 drive would also be a master drive, on the end of
the IDE cable, and I would use configration A in the BIOS, which is:

Compatible Mode
(No Value)
Primary P-ATA+S-ATA

Would this be correct?

As for the older drive, do I leave it pinned as a master or take the
pin off completely? And I'd be booting from the S-ATA drive into
Windows XP and hopefully finally see the partitioned 80Gb drive?
Thanks for all the help. If these settings are right, I'll try it and
maybe get my data transferred.

>On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:55:59 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I put the system together myself so there's no brand name here. But
>>it's an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe motherboard, Pentium 4 3.2Ghz processor,
>>800 fsb, 1Gb 3200 DDR RAM, and a Western Digital 120Gb Serial ATA hard
>>drive. I'm running Windows XP Professional. The drive is partitioned
>>into 2 equal parts, NTFS. The old drive is 80Gb Western Digital,
>>partitioned into four equal parts, FAT32. Maybe Windows XP just
>>doesn't play nice with FAT32?

>No. XP and FAT32 get along just fine together.
>Your board has two IDE connectors, plus two SATA connectors.
>Jumper the old drive as a master and connect it to the black IDE port on the board.
>The default BIOS settings should allow the drive to be seen under Windows XP.
>See pages 2-24 and 4-10 of the IDE controller settings and make sure yours is set up correctly as shown in section
>4-3.6. Make sure the BIOS sees both drives. Set your boot priorities to have the SATA drive be the primary boot device
>(page 4-32).
>Boot into Windows XP and the old drive should be in disk manager (right click My Computer and choose Manage ...under
>Storage, see disk management).
>

>>>What is the make/model of the new system or motherboard?
>>>There is no reason that the old drive should not be configurable as a second drive on the new system, and then the files
>>>can be transferred from the XP boot.

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

Some time, on or about: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:51:31 -0500,
(E-Mail Removed) was criminally insane in my professional opinion
when they claimed the following balderdash:

>Okay, I've posted before about this, but I was trying something
>different and found a few things outs.
>
>The Western Digital 80Gb drive I thought I'd lost the four partitions
>on, seems to have the partitions. I can hook it up as the master boot
>drive in my new system and it boots to Windows 98SE, which is the O/S
>on the drive.So far so good. The partitions are there a is all my
>data. For small files, I can copy them to 3-1/2 floppies and set them
>aside to transfer to my new system.
>
>But I have large files and folders I want to transfer, and the onl way
>I can see to do that is burn them to CD's. I hooked the 80Gb drive up
>as the boot drive, end of the IDE cable, pinned as master. I set my
>CDRW drive to slave, and put it on the same IDE cable as the HD, in
>the middle of the cable. The new motherboard does not have a secondary
>IDE cable, just the one. The hard drive in the new system is S-ATA.
>
>When I hook up as above, Windows 98SE launches, but does not find the
>CD drive, so my idea of burning disks to transfer the files is down
>the tubes. Any idea why the CD wasn't recognized by Windows 98?
>
>And I still can't figure a way to hook the 80Gb drive up as a slave
>and run it with the S-ATA drive as the master boot to Windows XP Pro.
>It just don't want to do it. I've tried different jumper settings,
>hooked it at the end and middle of the IDE ribbon, nada.Still looking
>for any help. I've learned that the tech agents as these manufacturers
>aren't worth squat for the most part. I get better help here. Thanks.

If you have 2 different PCs, why don't you network them together with
a crossover cable and transfer the files that way?

Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

rfdjr1@optonline.com

For the simple reason that my older PC stopped recognizing the IDE
drive on boot up. I don't know if the controller went bad on me or
what the problem is, but I just can't get the hard drive to be
noticed.