Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > where'd my volume icon in the taskbar go??

where'd my volume icon in the taskbar go??

Mistuh

Hi...all of a sudden, i am not seeing the little volume icon...I went to the
MSN page, and there was an option to have it displayed...I had had it
checked previously, but it's not appearing. TIA for your help in getting it
BACK. ~M~

°Mike°

Control Panel / Sound and Audio Devices
(or Control Panel / Multimedia for Win9x)
Check 'Show volume icon in the task bar'.

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 22:39:07 GMT, in
<fySXb.205521$(E-Mail Removed)>
Mistuh scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Pompey©

Start>settings>control panel>Sounds and audio devices>volume...check the
appropriate box
hth Daryn

"Mistuh" <(E-Mail Removed)-screwthespam-.com> wrote in message
news:fySXb.205521$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hi...all of a sudden, i am not seeing the little volume icon...I went to

the
> MSN page, and there was an option to have it displayed...I had had it
> checked previously, but it's not appearing. TIA for your help in getting

it
> BACK. ~M~

Mistuh

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Control Panel / Sound and Audio Devices
> (or Control Panel / Multimedia for Win9x)
> Check 'Show volume icon in the task bar'.
>

> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 22:39:07 GMT, in
> <fySXb.205521$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Mistuh scrawled:
>
> >Hi...all of a sudden, i am not seeing the little volume icon...I went to

the
> >MSN page, and there was an option to have it displayed...I had had it
> >checked previously, but it's not appearing. TIA for your help in getting

it
> >BACK. ~M~
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

I had already checked this off...as i said in the above post...but it's not
showing in the taskbar.

°Mike°

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 22:58:31 GMT, in
<rQSXb.205524$(E-Mail Removed)>
Mistuh scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Control Panel / Sound and Audio Devices
>> (or Control Panel / Multimedia for Win9x)
>> Check 'Show volume icon in the task bar'.
>>

>> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 22:39:07 GMT, in
>> <fySXb.205521$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Mistuh scrawled:
>>
>> >Hi...all of a sudden, i am not seeing the little volume icon...I went
>> >to the MSN page, and there was an option to have it displayed...I
>> >had had it checked previously, but it's not appearing. TIA for your
>> >help in getting it BACK. ~M~
>> >

>I had already checked this off...as i said in the above post...but it's not
>showing in the taskbar.

I don't see where you said that. You said that you
went to an MSN page. What has that got to do
with the Control Panel applet? If it hadn't been for
your subject line, I wouldn't have had a clue what
you were talking about.

Now how about giving some details about your system?

--
Basic computer maintenance

Mistuh

i went to "taskbar and start menu properties", too....no luck...still don't
see it!
"Pompey©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qNSXb.5239$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Start>settings>control panel>Sounds and audio devices>volume...check the
> appropriate box
> hth Daryn
>
> "Mistuh" <(E-Mail Removed)-screwthespam-.com> wrote in message
> news:fySXb.205521$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > Hi...all of a sudden, i am not seeing the little volume icon...I went to

> the
> > MSN page, and there was an option to have it displayed...I had had it
> > checked previously, but it's not appearing. TIA for your help in

getting
> it
> > BACK. ~M~

Mistuh

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 22:58:31 GMT, in
> <rQSXb.205524$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Mistuh scrawled:
>

> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Control Panel / Sound and Audio Devices
> >> (or Control Panel / Multimedia for Win9x)
> >> Check 'Show volume icon in the task bar'.
> >>

> >> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 22:39:07 GMT, in
> >> <fySXb.205521$(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> Mistuh scrawled:

> >I had already checked this off...as i said in the above post...but it's

not
> >showing in the taskbar.

> I don't see where you said that. You said that you
> went to an MSN page. What has that got to do
> with the Control Panel applet? If it hadn't been for
> your subject line, I wouldn't have had a clue what
> you were talking about.
>
> Now how about giving some details about your system?
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Yes, you're right....but i also went to Control Panel, and under sounds, the
info was identical to what i saw on the MSN page. And in both cases, the box
WAS (still is) checked to show the volume icon in the taskbar...yet it isn't
showing. I have Windows XP Home.

Mistuh

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:18:10 GMT, in
> <S6TXb.205526$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Mistuh scrawled:
>
> <snip>
>
> >Yes, you're right....but i also went to Control Panel, and under sounds,

the
> >info was identical to what i saw on the MSN page. And in both cases, the

box
> >WAS (still is) checked to show the volume icon in the taskbar...yet it

isn't
> >showing. I have Windows XP Home.

> Do you have sound?
>
> Have you tried UNCHECKING the box, press APPLY,
> recheck the box and press APPLY again?
>
> Have you tried rebooting?
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Yes to all of the above (checking/unchecking, and the sound works fine)
except for re-booting...i will try that next.

°Mike°

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:18:10 GMT, in
<S6TXb.205526$(E-Mail Removed)>
Mistuh scrawled:

<snip>

>Yes, you're right....but i also went to Control Panel, and under sounds, the
>info was identical to what i saw on the MSN page. And in both cases, the box
>WAS (still is) checked to show the volume icon in the taskbar...yet it isn't
>showing. I have Windows XP Home.

Do you have sound?

Have you tried UNCHECKING the box, press APPLY,
recheck the box and press APPLY again?

Have you tried rebooting?

--
Basic computer maintenance

Mistuh

"Mistuh" <(E-Mail Removed)-screwthespam-.com> wrote in message
news:ZhTXb.205528$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:18:10 GMT, in
> > <S6TXb.205526$(E-Mail Removed)>
> > Mistuh scrawled:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > >Yes, you're right....but i also went to Control Panel, and under

sounds,
> the
> > >info was identical to what i saw on the MSN page. And in both cases,

the
> box
> > >WAS (still is) checked to show the volume icon in the taskbar...yet it

> isn't
> > >showing. I have Windows XP Home.

> > Do you have sound?
> >
> > Have you tried UNCHECKING the box, press APPLY,
> > recheck the box and press APPLY again?
> >
> > Have you tried rebooting?
> >
> > --
> > Basic computer maintenance

> Yes to all of the above (checking/unchecking, and the sound works fine)
> except for re-booting...i will try that next.

THANK YOU MIKE!....re-booting did the trick; I have the icon back.
Sometimes it's the simplest thing that gets it done...altho why the icon
disappeared in the FIRST place is an unsolved mystery.