Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What is a socks 4/5 proxy server

What is a socks 4/5 proxy server

martin

Hi all

I have been playing with proxy servers for the last week and just about
worked out how to use a proxy server with internet explorer. Tried using a
proxy server on winMX and found I need to use a socks4 or a sock5 proxy
server. What is a socks 4 or a socks 5 proxy server?

I've looked on Google and on the Web and not been able to find out what they
are probably using the wrong search words.

If anybody has any good websites about proxy servers if you could post them
I would very much appreciate it

Thanks in advance

Martin

why?

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:31:17 -0000, martin wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I have been playing with proxy servers for the last week and just about
>worked out how to use a proxy server with internet explorer. Tried using a

Ummm... beyond entering the hostname / port and possibly exclusions
there's not a lot to play with.

>proxy server on winMX and found I need to use a socks4 or a sock5 proxy

So you want to share files out? Thus you need to run your own socks
proxy?

>server. What is a socks 4 or a socks 5 proxy server?
>
>I've looked on Google and on the Web and not been able to find out what they

Groan .....

www.google.com
Searched the web for
socks proxy server

Searched the web for
public socks proxy server

http://webopedia.com/
search - socks proxy
http://webopedia.com/TERM/S/SOCKS.html

>are probably using the wrong search words.

Could be.....

Did you try here?
http://www.winmx.com/support/
Go to the alt.music.mp3.winmx newsgroup.

>If anybody has any good websites about proxy servers if you could post them
>I would very much appreciate it

Links for what? Info http://www.socks.permeo.com/ or downloads or
writing, communicating with?

>Thanks in advance
>
>Martin

Me

°Mike°

SOCKS protocol
http://www.socks.permeo.com/

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:31:17 -0000, in
<DyRXb.6367$(E-Mail Removed)>
martin scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

martin

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:31:17 -0000, martin wrote:
>
> >Hi all
> >
> >I have been playing with proxy servers for the last week and just about
> >worked out how to use a proxy server with internet explorer. Tried using

> Ummm... beyond entering the hostname / port and possibly exclusions
> there's not a lot to play with.
>
> >proxy server on winMX and found I need to use a socks4 or a sock5 proxy

> So you want to share files out? Thus you need to run your own socks
> proxy?
>
> >server. What is a socks 4 or a socks 5 proxy server?
> >
> >I've looked on Google and on the Web and not been able to find out what

they

> Groan .....
>
> www.google.com
> Searched the web for
> socks proxy server
> Results 1 - 10 of about 119,000. Search took 0.24 seconds.
>
> Searched the web for
> public socks proxy server
> Results 1 - 10 of about 54,500. Search took 0.39 seconds.
>

> http://webopedia.com/
> search - socks proxy
> http://webopedia.com/TERM/S/SOCKS.html
>
> >are probably using the wrong search words.

> Could be.....
>
> Did you try here?
> http://www.winmx.com/support/
> Go to the alt.music.mp3.winmx newsgroup.
>

> >If anybody has any good websites about proxy servers if you could post

them
> >I would very much appreciate it

> Links for what? Info http://www.socks.permeo.com/ or downloads or
> writing, communicating with?
>
> >Thanks in advance
> >
> >Martin
> >

> Me

Cheers for the link I did try the winMX help and support and the only thing
I got was a message saying they were writing the help page.

Thanks again

Martin

martin

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> SOCKS protocol
> http://www.socks.permeo.com/
>

> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:31:17 -0000, in
> <DyRXb.6367$(E-Mail Removed)>
> martin scrawled:
>
> >Hi all
> >
> >I have been playing with proxy servers for the last week and just about
> >worked out how to use a proxy server with internet explorer. Tried using

> >proxy server on winMX and found I need to use a socks4 or a sock5 proxy
> >server. What is a socks 4 or a socks 5 proxy server?
> >
> >I've looked on Google and on the Web and not been able to find out what

they
> >are probably using the wrong search words.
> >
> >If anybody has any good websites about proxy servers if you could post

them
> >I would very much appreciate it
> >
> >Thanks in advance
> >
> >Martin

Thanks for the link Mike very much appreciated

°Mike°

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:50:54 -0000, in
<vBTXb.6501$(E-Mail Removed)>
martin scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> SOCKS protocol
>> http://www.socks.permeo.com/

<snip>

>Thanks for the link Mike very much appreciated

You're welcome.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Dan Shea

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:31:17 -0000, "martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I have been playing with proxy servers for the last week and just about
>worked out how to use a proxy server with internet explorer. Tried using a
>proxy server on winMX and found I need to use a socks4 or a sock5 proxy
>server. What is a socks 4 or a socks 5 proxy server?

SOCKS is a protocol for proxying TCP traffic. V5 is basically V4 with
authentication, plus it permits UDP traffic. It's a two-parter: you
need a SOCKS proxy server that processes all the proxy requests, and
the SOCKS client installed on the user's PC. When the user's computer
makes a request, the client "socksifies" the request and passes it to
the proxy server. The server processes the request, sends it to the
required host, receives the response, and passes it back to the client
where the client de-socksifies it so it can be treated as normal TCP
traffic.

>I've looked on Google and on the Web and not been able to find out what they
>are probably using the wrong search words.

Umm, try "SOCKS proxy"...

>If anybody has any good websites about proxy servers if you could post them
>I would very much appreciate it

Hummingbird used to do a good SOCKS proxy client and server. Probaby
still available from their site.

Cheers,
dan