Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) simple question

AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) simple question

jersie0

I just installed AIM for one kid; now have multiple kids wanting to
use it. I can't figure out how to configure the thing with multiple
"personalities," i.e., one AIM program on a computer supporting
separate screennames for separate users, only one of whom will be
using it at any one time.

There MUST be a way to do this, right?

Who

jersie0 writes:

> I just installed AIM for one kid; now have multiple kids wanting to use
> it. I can't figure out how to configure the thing with multiple
> "personalities," i.e., one AIM program on a computer supporting separate
> screennames for separate users, only one of whom will be using it at any
> one time.
>
> There MUST be a way to do this, right?

not neccesarily, AOL is pretty rudimentary software.

joevan

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:05:31 -0500, "Who" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>jersie0 writes:
>
>> I just installed AIM for one kid; now have multiple kids wanting to use
>> it. I can't figure out how to configure the thing with multiple
>> "personalities," i.e., one AIM program on a computer supporting separate
>> screennames for separate users, only one of whom will be using it at any
>> one time.
>>
>> There MUST be a way to do this, right?

>not neccesarily, AOL is pretty rudimentary software.

My daughter and a friend set up AIM for both of them on my computer.
Just use the different names and try it. I don't think there should be
a problem. I don't even use aol but the AIM seems to be quite popular
with the younger crowd.
Good luck.
joevan

WCH

If the second (third, etc) person has already established an AIM account,
just have them sign in their user name and password, then log on. That's
it. You don't need multiple instances of the software or anything. Does
that answer your question?
WC

"joevan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:05:31 -0500, "Who" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >jersie0 writes:
> >
> >> I just installed AIM for one kid; now have multiple kids wanting to use
> >> it. I can't figure out how to configure the thing with multiple
> >> "personalities," i.e., one AIM program on a computer supporting

separate
> >> screennames for separate users, only one of whom will be using it at

any
> >> one time.
> >>
> >> There MUST be a way to do this, right?

> >not neccesarily, AOL is pretty rudimentary software.

> My daughter and a friend set up AIM for both of them on my computer.
> Just use the different names and try it. I don't think there should be
> a problem. I don't even use aol but the AIM seems to be quite popular
> with the younger crowd.
> Good luck.
> joevan

jersie0

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:06:50 GMT, "WCH"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If the second (third, etc) person has already established an AIM account,
>just have them sign in their user name and password, then log on. That's
>it. You don't need multiple instances of the software or anything. Does
>that answer your question?
>WC

Yeah, thanks. Keeping the AIM crowd happy is not exactly "Priority
One" right now for me, but at least I now have the knowledge that I
need to have.

As long as I'm asking questions, does AIM have a capability to log
usage? Not necessarily what was said and with whom, but who was
logged on at what times?

joevan

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:20:49 GMT, jersie0 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:06:50 GMT, "WCH"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>If the second (third, etc) person has already established an AIM account,
>>just have them sign in their user name and password, then log on. That's
>>it. You don't need multiple instances of the software or anything. Does
>>that answer your question?
>>WC

>Yeah, thanks. Keeping the AIM crowd happy is not exactly "Priority
>One" right now for me, but at least I now have the knowledge that I
>need to have.
>
>As long as I'm asking questions, does AIM have a capability to log
>usage? Not necessarily what was said and with whom, but who was
>logged on at what times?

If you really want to be up on everything, then use a key logger.
HomeKeyLogger, is one. It's up to you.
Other than that I would like to know also.
http://www.spyarsenal.com/index.html?smp

joevan

WCH

Not to my knowledge, it does not. Although, there may be something buried
in "parental settings" or some such, an area I've not frequented. Still, I
doubt it. Keystroke loggers would do the trick (and much more, if you're
into monitoring), as another poster has noted.
WC

"jersie0" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:06:50 GMT, "WCH"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >If the second (third, etc) person has already established an AIM account,
> >just have them sign in their user name and password, then log on. That's
> >it. You don't need multiple instances of the software or anything. Does
> >that answer your question?
> >WC

> Yeah, thanks. Keeping the AIM crowd happy is not exactly "Priority
> One" right now for me, but at least I now have the knowledge that I
> need to have.
>
> As long as I'm asking questions, does AIM have a capability to log
> usage? Not necessarily what was said and with whom, but who was
> logged on at what times?

John H. Guillory

>As long as I'm asking questions, does AIM have a capability to log
>usage? Not necessarily what was said and with whom, but who was
>logged on at what times?

In-directly it can, just get them to Instant Message you once, then
never close the chat window. It'll then record the time logged in and
out until you close the window....

Mike245

jersie0 wrote:

> I just installed AIM for one kid; now have multiple kids wanting to
> use it. I can't figure out how to configure the thing with multiple
> "personalities," i.e., one AIM program on a computer supporting
> separate screennames for separate users, only one of whom will be
> using it at any one time.
>
> There MUST be a way to do this, right?

Try alternatives like gaim and trillian.

--
Mike
Block Banner Ads Now

AOL Instant Messenger Lonnie Reynolds Computer Support 4 03-03-2004 11:30 PM
Java and AOL Instant Messenger Mike Java 1 01-09-2004 04:52 PM
AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) and Audio TJ Computer Support 29 12-07-2003 03:19 AM
AOL Instant Messenger Computer Support 6 11-04-2003 06:05 PM
Just uninstalled AOL instant messenger, but... Contro Computer Support 10 06-28-2003 09:04 PM

Advertisments